Theft at POP - Air Transat Flight

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
CTV 6pm news tonight...

Air Transat flight POP-YYZ

20 passengers report theft from their luggage.

Seems that most bags were cut and rifled through...missing items include cameras, electronics and clothes.

Foreign affairs says they are monitoring the airport and a full investigation is under way.

For the moment they are not changing the warning level for travellers but may after the investigation is complete.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am by no means defending theft, thats awful for anyone....but when will people stop putting electronics and items of value in their checked baggage. (yes, I realize that the clothing cant be brought in carry on).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am by no means defending theft, thats awful for anyone....but when will people stop putting electronics and items of value in their checked baggage. (yes, I realize that the clothing cant be brought in carry on).

Checked baggage is yours... checked in w/ you ...why should you not feel secure... we trust these people ??!!

The traveler is not at fault here.... what if i shipped a dog/
and it disappeared....very possible in POP

Oh, it shouldn't have been in your checked baggage ?

In the new world.... fewer, if any, carry-ons

Devise a new plan

isabellaaa

Feb 23, 2010
yikes!! that's brutal...

but why would anyone put electronics in your checked baggage?.... I mean, going ANYWHERE? And going from POP to YYZ (Pearson, i think?) it's not like they have super strict regulations for what you can and can't have on your carry on other than the basics (liquids, etc.)

Anyway... Traveling (especially via air) you run the risk of having things stolen. At least, this is how people should look at it...I'm not saying it's right, but let's be real. murphy's law.

still sucks for those people though. awful luck.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
yikes!! that's brutal...

but why would anyone put electronics in your checked baggage?.... .

Continental Airlines agrees with you. This is what they say......."Continental recommends that you do not pack high value, fragile or perishable items in your checked baggage". In the list of items they consider high value quite naturally one of them is electronics.

"Continental is not liable (in the case of domestic travel) or for which Continental?s liability may be limited (in the case of most international travel)...."

I would imagine all airlines have a similar policy in effect.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what do we mean when we say they are not liable - so if the whole thing goes missing what happens ?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
what do we mean when we say they are not liable - so if the whole thing goes missing what happens ?

If the whole thing goes missing meaning your luggage is lost the airlines will pay for your clothes, your luggage, but you won't get a dime for that $1000 camera you packed in your checked bag. If they did pay for such items everyone would be claiming a lost camera to get enough money to buy another airline ticket. Anything of value should be in your carry on. Makes sense to me.

Continental recommends that you do not pack high value, fragile or perishable items in your checked baggage. Continental will accept such items as carry-on baggage (if it adheres to carry-on baggage allowances) and as checked baggage if it adheres to checked baggage allowances. If you choose to pack high value, fragile or perishable items in or as checked baggage in connection with domestic travel, Continental is not liable for the loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of such items. For most international travel, Continental?s liability for destruction, loss, delay or damage to checked and unchecked baggage is limited.

Here is the complete list of what Continental will not be held liable for.

Continental Airlines - Fragile and Perishable Items

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
20 passengers report theft from their luggage.

Seems that most bags were cut and rifled through...missing items include cameras, electronics and clothes.

Foreign affairs says they are monitoring the airport and a full investigation is under way.

Was there mention on the report WHICH airport was being monitored & WHICH airport was being subjected to 'a full investigation'?

IF the baggage was received at YYZ & noticed as being damaged/open there, why were the bags not immediately separated & investigated further (maybe for fingerprints etc.)? Do airports have a library of fingerprints for their handling staff? If any airport management is looking in on this thread, this might be worth considering. Airports can then check down the line of handlers to check where the damaged baggage was first noticed & thereby remove the staff (& airport) AFTER the first report of damaged baggage from the investigation!! Obviously handlers would be refused permission to wear gloves when handling baggage! :cheeky: ;) :pirate: !

(Yeah - OK. LOTS of loopholes in that basic comment but maybe the commencement of a better procedure than is presently in place!)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

In the event of being unlucky and having such a loss, one could try and make a claim through one's personal insurance for the items of high value (provided these are covered and one has insurance!) for the difference that one receives from the airline.

In some instances, depending on the deductable, may not even be worht it or risk having the premium increased though.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Anything of value should be in your carry on. Makes sense to me.

Yes, that would to some degree make people accountable for their own possessions, imagine that!;)

But for some, it is always easier to pass blame!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I must be an unintelligent one - ive always put virtually everything in packed luggage apart from a crossword book and money.
Ive always been covered by insurance before, but will think more carefully in future.
I dont actually travel with much of significant value- even my camera has a broken shutter

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Sorry if I wasn't clear in the first post but the flight was POP to YYZ (Puerto Plata to Toronto).

It is POP airport that they will be investigating.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry if I wasn't clear in the first post but the flight was POP to YYZ (Puerto Plata to Toronto).

It is POP airport that they will be investigating.
Do we know WHY Puerto Plata is assumed as being the airport where the break-ins of baggage took place? Were these bags offloaded at Toronto, spotted as being damaged by the handlers there & then isolated for notification of security personnel?

Somehow, it seems, 20 damaged bags were loaded on to the Air-Transat plane without the last checker noticing at least one or two of them? That would indicate sheer irresponsibility or neglect of a sensible security checking system by Air Transat ............... maybe they should be held responsible for the lost items due to total inefficiency - Regardless of what their information packs say! I FULLY understand the comments about people shouldn't really put valuables in their un-checked luggage, but I ASK you .......... TWENTY ITEMS ON ONE FLIGHT?????

What is the difficulty in making sure that each item put on to the flight is NOT damaged before loading? If baggage is THAT vulnerable to theft/opening between the check-in point & loading on to the plane, what is the point of ANY inspection of baggage for dangerous/explosive materials inserted by the passenger? How can ANY Court of Law uphold a drugs charge if baggage is that vulnerable?

Sorry Air-Transat/Puerto Plata Airport OR Toronto airport authorities ..... I just don't buy into this "Passenger Responsibility" kick if baggage is so vulnerable!! ~ Grahame.