Looking for employment

jason2010

May 5, 2010
hi my name is jason passmore and wanted to know if anyone new of any jobs going in sosua as i would like to move their with my girlfriend.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
hi my name is jason passmore and wanted to know if anyone new of any jobs going in sosua as i would like to move their with my girlfriend.

IF your girlfriend is good looking she will be able to make some $$$ in Sosua jason:bunny::cheeky: but you may not like the kind of job she has to do..I recomend that you invest and buy a motorcycle and become the first expat motochoncho driver..

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
IF your girlfriend is good looking she will be able to make some $$$ in Sosua jason:bunny::cheeky: but you may not like the kind of job she has to do..I recomend that you invest and buy a motorcycle and become the first expat motochoncho driver..

As you can see - we are a helpful lot here.

What do you and your girlfriend do for work now?

Reactions: jrhartley

jason2010

May 5, 2010
hi .i am a qualified builder and labourer also can do work in cafes as have food hygeine certificate.my girlfriend has very good computer skills and also runs her own cafe.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Unless you understand building here you are in trouble. And the wages as such are not something you will be able to live on.

waiters and cafe workers are a dime a dozen and paid accordingly. I am not meaning to demean or insult the work of these people. A good waiter is a thing to behold anywhere. But they do not make much money!

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
I recomend that you invest and buy a motorcycle and become the first expat motochoncho driver..

That is my fail-safe plan when I'm coming over!
How is the call center industry in Santiago?

From what I've gathered so far, you will need a cedula to get a job in the first place. Well, at least with respectable employers. That takes half a year.
Starting a pub or caf? will require papers and the sort. From what I gather, a long legal process, depending how good your Spanish is, and some money to make things work easier.

I'm at the same point as you, Jason. Love to make a living in DR and move there permanent. But waiting on my arse for 6 months before I have a cedula, will eat in the budget a lot!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
A lot of people on this message board try to make out that they are involved in some heroic effort to survive in the D.R. It is a little treacherous business-wise but perfectly doable.
You do not come here to get rich - as I always say, you sacrifice a little standard of living for a lot of quality of life.

If you are young and adventurous then come out, give it a whirl and see what you can make of it. If it does not work out then fine, at least you had the experience.

Be warned, however.
You will suddenly find you have loads of relatives that suddenly feel the urgent need to visit you. ;)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
A lot of people on this message board try to make out that they are involved in some heroic effort to survive in the D.R. It is a little treacherous business-wise but perfectly doable.
You do not come here to get rich - as I always say, you sacrifice a little standard of living for a lot of quality of life.

If you are young and adventurous then come out, give it a whirl and see what you can make of it. If it does not work out then fine, at least you had the experience.

Be warned, however.
You will suddenly find you have loads of relatives that suddenly feel the urgent need to visit you. ;)

Jason, IMHO this is the best advice you'll get!!!!!!

jason2010

May 5, 2010
ok thanks for advice.i have been to sosua a few times in the past couple of year and like the area.

jason2010

May 5, 2010
a know i am young and would like to give it a go but i have no idea of where to start? any help or advice.