The Arizona "Hate" & Dominicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
A few months ago when the Health Reform bill was passed Nancy Pelossi promised not to bring to congress this year any bill that would compromise the chances of Democratic congressmen of being reelected. With the passing in Arizona of SB 1070, and the massive protests carried out nationwide by advocates of immigration reforms looks like Pelossi's promise might be broken.

Dominicans who enter US illegally (unlike their counterparts from Mexico and CentroAmerica) are very crafty at getting their green card in short period, probably because trips from DR are dangerous and expensive, still there's a sizable number of Dominicans who lack the legal status to work and live in the US, and this group would be profoundly affected if this law represents a trend and expands to others states where more "criollos" reside.

I understand the tremendous problem that illegal immigration represents for the US (especially the southern states), but of all people Americans should know better that you don't fight illegalities with laws that violates the constitution.

This law not only request policemen to check the status of any person suspected of being illegally in the country, it commands them to do so!. In fact; policemen can be sued by any citizens they don't see demanding papers from suspected immigrants.

This law has "Jim Crow" written all over it, it promotes apartheid and segregation, it makes "brown" people second class citizens in their own country, as it forces them to carry passports or green cards with them all the time, otherwise they'll be put in jail until they prove they reside here legally. What will be next?, Hispanic people will be required to wear a yellow tag sewn to their clothing?.

Nice to see that the entire NBA repelled this law. Tonight; the Phoenix Suns -when they face the San Antonio Spurs- will wear a tag on their uniforms expressing their dissatisfaction with this law. Nice also to see a number of sport writers refusing to cover the Arizona Diamondback (whose owner is the main donor for the Republican party in Arizona) until this law is repelled.

For the good of Arizona they need to be taught a lesson, just like in the 80's and 90's when they were one of the last states to recognize Martin Luther King Jr. day as a national holiday (John Mcain voted against that law). It took years of boycotts (including losing the right to host the Superbowl in 1992) to make them change their mind.

I wonder what's the opinion of DR1 members on this matter & the effects it has on
Dominicans. Just for the record, Obama has more than doubled the number of annual deportations of illegal immigrants. He's doing more to tackle this problem than any republican president has ever done.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1872501,00.html

Reactions: ExtremeR

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I live in Nevada, right next to the border with Arizona and I was thinking of hitting Arizona soon just to know more of it. After this law passed?? forget about it!! What bothers me is that a Canadian National won't ever be stopped for "suspicion of being illegal" but my wife and me will sure be stopped and asked for passport (show me a white US citizen who carry a passport while driving) & green card being led by my skin color and our thick accents.

I only have one trip booked to Arizona though and it is to go down the Grand Canyon on a copter this August when my father comes to visit me, but other than that hell no.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike l

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Vacara - agreed, it is an iniquitous law.
Totally outrageous.

One point though - I am not sure Obama's actions are doing more to tackle the problem.
Huddled masses and all that sort of thing - it is what makes the USA great.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Sorry I disagree. Arizona put into place a law because the Federal Government is doing nothing to help secure their border. This is not about "Hate". This is about illegal. The drug trade and violence crosses over into the Arizona border. Kidnappings at an all time high. The cost for schooling and medical care for these illegal immigrants is astronomical. I see nothing wrong with the law.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Sorry I disagree. Arizona put into place a law because the Federal Government is doing nothing to help secure their border.

Since immigration laws can only be enforced by the Federal government then this would be a violation of the law. Think about what it would be if every state had its immigrations laws?, what a mess eh?.

This is not about "Hate". This is about illegal. The drug trade and violence crosses over into the Arizona border. Kidnappings at an all time high.

So you are going to blame illegal immigrants for drug trafficking, violence, kidnappings?, what else, Wall St. debacle?, Great Depression?, what happened to the concept of "accountability"?.

The cost for schooling and medical care for these illegal immigrants is astronomical. I see nothing wrong with the law.

I won't argue that illegal immigration is a serious problem, specially for the states closed to the southern border & that something have to be done about it, but don't try to solve it by encouraging racial profiling and discrimination. This law specifically command that every person who is suspected of being and illegal alien must be stopped and asked to produce proof of legal status. How can you do that without racial profiling?, are they going to stop white looking people?.

This law is designed to harass brown people, but it could be worse. Arizona could has given us Barry Goldwater.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Sorry I disagree. Arizona put into place a law because the Federal Government is doing nothing to help secure their border. This is not about "Hate". This is about illegal. The drug trade and violence crosses over into the Arizona border. Kidnappings at an all time high. The cost for schooling and medical care for these illegal immigrants is astronomical. I see nothing wrong with the law.

Ditto!!!!!

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
This better get VERY Dominican and VERY quickly or it's erased.

I think this law clearly affect the Dominican community in Arizona and the US. Early today Obama said that -against his previous statements- he plans to bring this year to a vote a bill on immigration reform.

But this is just me Robert, and you probably know better than me. I'm also used to see my threads deleted/closed.;)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
What's funny is to see every white US Citizen agreeing with this law. Of course when a law isn't going to affect you are all for it. When you see US crimes rates proving that US Citizen does crime at a higher level than foreign and they still agree with this law you have to wonder....

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
A few months ago when the Health Reform bill was passed Nancy Pelossi promised not to bring to congress this year any bill that would compromise the chances of Democratic congressmen of being reelected. With the passing in Arizona of SB 1070, and the massive protests carried out nationwide by advocates of immigration reforms looks like Pelossi's promise might be broken.

Dominicans who enter US illegally (unlike their counterparts from Mexico and CentroAmerica) are very crafty at getting their green card in short period, probably because trips from DR are dangerous and expensive, still there's a sizable number of Dominicans who lack the legal status to work and live in the US, and this group would be profoundly affected if this law represents a trend and expands to others states where more "criollos" reside.

I understand the tremendous problem that illegal immigration represents for the US (especially the southern states), but of all people Americans should know better that you don't fight illegalities with laws that violates the constitution.

This law not only request policemen to check the status of any person suspected of being illegally in the country, it commands them to do so!. In fact; policemen can be sued by any citizens they don't see demanding papers from suspected immigrants.

This law has "Jim Crow" written all over it, it promotes apartheid and segregation, it makes "brown" people second class citizens in their own country, as it forces them to carry passports or green cards with them all the time, otherwise they'll be put in jail until they prove they reside here legally. What will be next?, Hispanic people will be required to wear a yellow tag sewn to their clothing?.

Nice to see that the entire NBA repelled this law. Tonight; the Phoenix Suns -when they face the San Antonio Spurs- will wear a tag on their uniforms expressing their dissatisfaction with this law. Nice also to see a number of sport writers refusing to cover the Arizona Diamondback (whose owner is the main donor for the Republican party in Arizona) until this law is repelled.

For the good of Arizona they need to be taught a lesson, just like in the 80's and 90's when they were one of the last states to recognize Martin Luther King Jr. day as a national holiday (John Mcain voted against that law). It took years of boycotts (including losing the right to host the Superbowl in 1992) to make them change their mind.

I wonder what's the opinion of DR1 members on this matter & the effects it has on
Dominicans. Just for the record, Obama has more than doubled the number of annual deportations of illegal immigrants. He's doing more to tackle this problem than any republican president has ever done.

A Brief History Of Martin Luther King Day - TIME

You along with a lot of other people need to read that law. Instead of listening to MSNBC

Your talking about the police being sued for not checking, they can also be sued for harassment. They must have already had a lawful contact before they can ask about immigration status.

You do realize that a legal resident is required by federal law to have their green card on them at all times correct. An normally people have some kind of ID on them, Drivers license etc.

I love it when Dominicans start hollering about immigration problems, What do they say about Haitians coming here??????

Yolas to the right of me Yolas to my left. And all headed for Puerto Rico or Mexico.

SB1070 - 492R - Senate Fact Sheet
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
What's funny is to see every white US Citizen agreeing with this law. Of course when a law isn't going to affect you are all for it. When you see US crimes rates proving that US Citizen does crime at a higher level than foreign and they still agree with this law you have to wonder....

the law appears to have nothing in it that the Federal Law does not. If the Feds had done their job over the last 30 years this would not have happened.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
the law appears to have nothing in it that the Federal Law does not. If the Feds had done their job over the last 30 years this would not have happened.

In where the Federal Law state that you have to prove your citizenship if stopped under suspicion?? Do you hang out with your passport when you visit the US?? A US issued driver license is not a proof of citizenship or residency.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002

so keep your passport on you when you're in arizona and it won't affect you either.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
I don't like the law either and I admit to not having read if it does actually mean anyone can be stopped and asked for their papers.... it makes me think though about DR and the Haitian question. Is that how it works here for Haitians or people that "look" Haitian?
Are they detained if unable to show their papers? I do know illegal immigrants in the DR do consume alot of the few government resources available, i.e. public schools in border provinces, hospitals all over the island. Immigration is a nearly unstoppable social force. Difficult to say what is the correct way to address the situation.

Sorry if i am not too coherent, its late and had too much 5 de mayo

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
You along with a lot of other people need to read that law. Instead of listening to MSNBC

Your talking about the police being sued for not checking, they can also be sued for harassment. They must have already had a lawful contact before they can ask about immigration status.

At best this is tricky since that previous "lawful contact" could very well be the mere suspicion that a person could be an illegal alien. Now; how do illegal aliens look like in Arizona?, they look brown to me. This law clearly states that "race" could be a factor in determining whether a person is undocumented or not. No way you can spin that into anything but "racial profiling".

You do realize that a legal resident is required by federal law to have their green card on them at all times correct. An normally people have some kind of ID on them, Drivers license etc.

Are American citizens required to carry a passport with them all the time?, cuz now they could be detained a any moment just for looking Hispanic.

I love it when Dominicans start hollering about immigration problems, What do they say about Haitians coming here??????

Yolas to the right of me Yolas to my left. And all headed for Puerto Rico or Mexico.

I love it when someone bring this pathetic argument of "...but Dominicans are doing this". Since when should the US set their policies based on what Dominicans do or don't?.

Both countries face tremendous immigrations problems, but that is where the similarities end. On one hand we have DR, one of the poorest countries on this planet, with a population of 9 millions people being flooded by 1-3 millions haitians. On the other hand, the US, the richest country on the planet, with a population of 350 millions inhabitants and only 12 millions illegal aliens. Does that look the same to you?.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
so keep your passport on you when you're in arizona and it won't affect you either.

I wont, why should I if a white person doesn't have the need to...If they don't like my Nevada License then they will have to cope with it. Although I doubt it will happen as they won't see me around there too much (unless I absolutely have to)

Status
Not open for further replies.