Heart attack, drowning, and murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Not the best 24 hours for foreigners on the north coast (but none of it occurred in Sosua)

Puerto Plata Digital

Cofresi - 72 year old British man died of heart attack
Cabarete - 25 year old Italian tourist drowned in a pool
Cabarete - Swiss national found bound/gagged/strangled

thanks to lambada for the news link to back up the rumors i had been hearing

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Who cares about people that are dead....just start an obituary section

What's next-- old man fart's while lighting the propane stove and blows up the condo!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Who cares about people that are dead....just start an obituary section

What's next-- old man fart's while lighting the propane stove and blows up the condo!

In my opinion, all are sad occurrences.
The murder is troubling.

There's no comprehensive local English news (print, internet, or radio).
The local Spanish media also typically fails to be comprehensive and many DR1 members can't read the Spanish accounts anyway.

I think it's worth posting to help keep visitors and residents informed - especially when there's violence directed at expats. Belittle it if you like, I suspect many find it to be 'news of interest' and worth posting.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
In my opinion, all are sad occurrences.
The murder is troubling.

There's no comprehensive local English news (print, internet, or radio).
The local Spanish media also typically fails to be comprehensive and many DR1 members can't read the Spanish accounts anyway.

I think it's worth posting to help keep visitors and residents informed - especially when there's violence directed at expats. Belittle it if you like, I suspect many find it to be 'news of interest' and worth posting.

Well said.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I agree but this happens every day, every where..world wide!

It's news so why not go ahead and spread the story ...I like positive stories...sorry just my opinion.

If you want to paint grey pictures that's everyone's choice ...freedom of speach is great!

Last edited:

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
I agree that the murder would be worthwhile news. The other two unfortunate incidents seem to have been just that.... unfortunate incidents/accidents, hence no need to spread fear.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Careless

Who cares about people that are dead....
OK, the guy was a Swiss.
OK, crime happens everywhere.
OK, it was in Cabarete, not where I live.
OK, why should I care what happens to my neighbours?

OK, if it happens to you, you could not care less (any more..).

donP

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I can see both sides of this. To the DR1 people - why not start an obits section / threads? While this is important to know about - why mix it with the more "sensational" stories.

We also need to know about murders etc and we get that in the forum generally anyway. Lets separate them.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I agree but this happens every day, every where..world wide!

It's news so why not go ahead and spread the story ...I like positive stories...sorry just my opinion.

If you want to paint grey pictures that's everyone's choice ...freedom of speach is great!

......one of the dumbest posts I've read here yet

Reactions: Tamborista

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
While crime happens "Everywhere", I think that it happens less, where neighbors and residents WATCH out for each other and DENOUNCE and drag crime, abuse and injustice into the "LIGHT" of public knowledge.

Crime thrives on "obscurity".

Likewise, SOME accidents would seem worth while discussing in order to maybe ID or even correct the danger?

• Is a particular part of the coast more dangerous than an other (Certainly, so let's not fight identification of dangerous spots).
  • Are some neighborhoods, some activities, people, relationships, behaviors and demeanor dangerous? (you bet'cha!)

... J-D.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
While the importance of what is to be reported and what is not seems to be the issue of the relevance of the thread, I think something else seems quite obvious and disturbing on these reports.
Having the victim bound seems very much the norm here on many many occasions. A massive number of male murders we witness on the TV here in Santo Domingo on a daily basis show pictures of the victim bound before murdered. The only times we seem to see men lay out in a more natural shooting pose is when the police are involved. I do not search or show much interest in such things but this stands out to me.
This speaks out to me that the majority of these murders are carried out by the same kind of people (no not simply murderers), and I am presuming this may be a kind of gangland/underworld style killing used when mixed up in that.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
......one of the dumbest posts I've read here yet

I was referring to posting about a drowning or heart attacks which is not newsworthy.

The murder is another story and is newsworthy but that happens everywhere else as well.

I was just trying to point out that there are several people who see a glass of water as half full or half empty and I always like to see the glass as half full.

The DR is no garden of eden but it's good enough for now!

Reactions: AlaninDR

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I think drownings are very newsworthy and very important to know about in the context of a Caribbean, seaside holiday destination.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think that a death from a heart attack and one from drowning are newsworthy on a more local basis eg. if someone drowns in the sea where you live then you are interested but if it's the other side of the country then you are probably not. A murder possibly creates interest on a wider scale.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I think drownings are very newsworthy and very important to know about in the context of a Caribbean, seaside holiday destination.

Now I agree!

To be forewarned of any potential rip currents or any other dangers of the local waters is good to know.

I stand corrected.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Organized crime in the DR? Heavens, no. Please refrain from such negative sentiments or the thread will be closed. Learn from those whose posts never get deleted, and who never are denied their freedom to speak on these boards. The DR is the Garden of Eden. There are no snakes,let allow organized snakes.

I fear you misunderstood my post and took it for that of a naive understanding of the country. My aim was to arouse someone who might shed some light on this execution style here in DR. I am not quite sure I understand the latter 7/10 of your post.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Another Ostrich

The murder is another story and is newsworthy but that happens everywhere else as well.

So rather not report it? :tired:

It happened in Cabarete, a very touristy town on the North coast.
The victim was a tourist or expatriate (main target group of this message board).

If you can't stand bad news about this 'paradise' simply don't read them.

Happens everywhere? (Whatever this is supposed to explain!)
Yes, but less likely in many other countries.

donP

Reactions: Tamborista
Status
Not open for further replies.