Wanna move to DR.

Alee

May 7, 2010
Hi and thanks for reading my thread. I was wondering what are the costs of living per month in DR? Will 1500$ be enough to cover food and water expense, bills (without rent cause I have money to buy place there), occasional drink in the bar, Spanish tutor for few months and I don't know what more? Most important is Internet as I am doing all my work on it. And whose driving license do I need to have for riding a motorcycle? Am I supposed to pass that in DR or driving license from my country is enough? I have red many of the threads here and I want to thank all of you who are helping wannabees like me.

Alee

May 7, 2010
Thank you for your post. I live a modest life. I mean i like to eat and like to drink but doesn't mean I will spend all money on that :)

I am just a simple guy in twenty's who wants to live where sky is great, water is clear.

edit - I was looking to live at Santo Domingo

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
You can live on $1500 dollars a month easy. Especially since that does not include a rent or mortgage. It depends on many factors. Internet is no cheaper here than in the states. Electricity is more if you want 24 hour electric.

I would suggest making a trial run first for 1 to 3 months. Find somewhere to rent for that time. You can find places with electric and internet included. This seems possible since it appears you can work from anywhere.

What you described you are looking for, sounds like you would like the North Coast. You can always visit other areas of the country once you get here.

There are other on here that can probably give you a lot more info once they see more details from you. Good luck.

Alee

May 7, 2010
Thank you for your kind remarks. But just to say I am not from States ;)

Well to tell you the truth I meant to visit DR when I make time in my schedule. Of course no one can decide to move in one country based on pictures on the internet. I was only looking at Santo Domingo and some Resort that some expat from my country recommended on North side. Do you know anything about driving motorcycle there? Does anyone know anything about tourism & grape plantation investing? Those 2 are one of the few things I am great at.

May 12, 2005
Um, maybe you should visit a lot before deciding to pick up and move here. Living in DR is not always a paradise.

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
Make the trip

Thank you for your kind remarks. But just to say I am not from States

I used the states as an example because that's my native country. I assume everyone on here is from Canada!

It's worth making the trip and seeing for yourself. The motorcycle thing, I would guess you could while on your tourist visa. I think 3 months is the rule of thumb to be legal. As far as insurance for a motorcycle, I have no idea. My guess is that you would be without insurance. As for investing and the other stuff you mentioned, I have no clue.

If you are thinking about living here, I would think when you visit that a resort would not be the best bet. A hotel would seem more suitable. You have a better opportunity to get a feel for the areas that way. That's my thinking. I never stayed at a resort until after I lived here for a few months. That worked for me. Of course my trips back to the states sometimes feels like a resort! Maybe someone else has answers to your other questions and a clearer answer about the motorcycle question.

Alee

May 7, 2010
I mentioned resort cause people owning it are from my country. thanks dough for the motor issues.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
don't move to the north coast or even santiago. go straight to santo domingo.

it'll be harder at first, but well worth it in the long run.

Helga1

Mar 29, 2010
So, Where are you from? I'm Polish but I live in US. Will be moving to Punta Cana probably next year... have business there.

Mar 1, 2009
1500 is enough, you can afford a couple of drinks in a bar, plus dinner in a nice restuarant.
Spanish tutors? Get a Dominican girlfriend, you will be speaking spanish in a month.
Check out Motorcaribe motorcyle adventures.
A vineyard might be feasible in Jarabacoa, costanza area in La Vega.

Dale tigere.

Alee

May 7, 2010
@ Helga - I am from Croatia.

@ Lando carlrisian - you know I haven't really thought at getting a Dominican girl. But a good way to learn language. I learned some Magyar & Czech like that. Thanks for the info on the vineyard. I would like to continue to grow them over there too.

Alee

May 7, 2010
Looks like you have a nice plan for your future... Go for it!

Thanks for that. But i must say i look forward to see DR first and experience every single moment while I am there. It is different then looking pictures or reading stories about it.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Thanks for that. But i must say i look forward to see DR first and experience every single moment while I am there. It is different then looking pictures or reading stories about it.

You've gotten really good advice all around. I agree that you shouldn't even begin to think about buying until you've been in the country full time for at least a year.

That may mean you need to adjust your budget for a rental. First, though, I'd spend a few weeks there to see if you like it. DR on paper is a very different animal from the real thing. I think you might really enjoy it, but am just suggesting you know what you're getting into.

Moving across the street is expensive and time consuming. Moving halfway around the world even more so. So take your time, and enjoy the experience.

Good luck,

DRob

Alee

May 7, 2010
...and time consuming. Moving halfway around the world even more so. So take your time, and enjoy the experience.

Good luck,

DRob

thanks for your advice. But for me me isn't really time or money consuming :) just 1 backpack and that's it.

What kind of fruit are there? I saw some strange things on wikipedia if that was fruit at all. i can't remember a name. How about bananas, strawberries? How much those cost per kilo?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Alee,
I have two Croatian friends in their 20's (female) who spent about 4 months living/working in Santiago last year & traveling all over the country. I can try to put you in contact with them... maybe they are willing/able to give you some advice.

If you would like that, send me your email by PM & I will forward it to them so they can contact you.

Mar 1, 2009
I can see it now, a Croatian-Dominican wine producing family dynasty in the making. Exporting to a colmado near you, plus Washington Heights!

Dale tigere!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
vineyards

I have now lived here for a year and during that time I have often wondered aout vineyards here...

As I live in Jarabacoa, you would assume this would be the perfect area for vineyards, when you see the mountains, the quality of the land (not too rich, and not too poor), the climate... Mind you, I'm basing my assumptions as someone who has visited plenty of vineyards in France, Italy, and Slovenia, and this way have heard a lot about wine-cultivation, but in reality my real experience is enjoying the good stuff coming out of a bottle...

After a year here, I would come to the following conclusion... for 95% of the time the weather is perfect for grape-cultivation... but I am afraid the sometimes torrential rains would damage the grapes...

But PLEASE prove me wrong, and start producing some nice Chablis here....

P.S. If you need someone to taste the stuff....:cool: