Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusing the enemy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confusing the enemy?

I've lived on the east coast for nearly two years but it still is a confusing place to navigate at times. Place names, for one thing. Our local town Verón is alternately spelt as Berón. The local síndica is the owner of a company called Berón Taxi but calls herself "María Verón" for campaign purposes.

Looking at the new residential developments one would think there is a strictly limited name quota. Almost every one of them includes the word Bávaro, Punta, Cana - we have Pueblo Bávaro, Residencial Punta Cana-Bávaro, Punta Cana Village and a new one called Punta Bávaro. Punta Cana, Cap Cana, Vista Cana...

Maybe you have to pay extra for calling your project something daringly different like Cueva Taína or Cocotal?

I know these are marketing decisions aimed at riding the wave of the Punta Cana/Bávaro magic but it is downright confusing. There are one or two other combinations that as far as I know still haven't been used, but it's just a matter of time before a Bávaro Cana or a Cap Bávaro springs up.

The hotels are no better. Yesterday evening we had to deliver some photos to a guest at one of the Bávaro hotels. When we had asked him to be more specific he just looked at his bracelet and confidently pronounced "Barceló Premium!"

We also have the eternal confusion between the exclusive "Corales" (where Julio, Oscar and co live) and the more down to earth "Los Corales", site of our favourite restaurant BaliCana (even they're at it). People think we're shameless namedropping social climbers when we mention we had dinner at "Los Corales".

We drove up to the main Barceló complex (the one with about 5 hotels and a convention centre) and told the security guys we were heading for the "Barceló Premium" - they shook their heads and said the "Premium" was 15 miles to the north, past the Punta Blanca golf club.

We cursed and made the trip, and when we arrived at the hotel, which was called Barceló Punta Cana Premium even though it is 30 kms north of Punta Cana, we phoned the client - "we're in the reception" - "so am I" he said. But turns out he was in fact 15 kilometres to the south, at the Barceló Palace Premium, which is the one right next to the convention centre.

"This happens all the damn time", said the nice lady at reception, with an air of sympathetic resignation.

I'm sure it goes down a treat with hotel guests who have just driven all the way from Santo Domingo, or foreign tourists who intrepidly rent a car or extravagantly take a taxi from Punta Cana airport. Maybe the hotel security guards do it to amuse themselves, or could it be, as a friend suggested, "the result of 500 years of eating plátanos".

Or are they just out to confuse the enemy?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You missing the point Chiri. When a Dominican gets lost it's just another excuse to socialize and party more, dame un tragito. We're just not in a hurry here.

BTW, what the matter with platano, to' lo dia, to' lo dia, to' lo dia?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful story Chiri, sounds like an Andy Rooney piece. I love it!!

It also would have fit seamlessly into the "Only in the DR" thread

AE

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the names of real estate projects/service companies, etc; for the most part its simply a marketing gimmick.

For example, the region is marketed as Punta Cana and perhaps 99% of tourists are not aware that the only time they are actually in Punta Cana are the times they are at the airport!

This happens in other places too.

For example, La Romana seems to have expanded beyond its borders. Most of the tourists that opt to vacation in 'La Romana' in actuality do so in Bayahibe, which aside from not being part of the municipality of La Romana, its not even in the province of the same name.

There is a new real estate project being developed in the Rio Soco area currently being marketed as Playa Nueva Romana, and in the promotional materials it says that it's in La Romana. The reality is that it's not in La Romana, its in the province of San Pedro de Macorís; but San Pedro doesn't sell, La Romana has more cache hence the name.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Punta Cana just a brand name, not an actual mapped location?

I'm trying to recall if that was the reason "Punta Cana Resort" changed their name to "Puntacana Resort" a few years back.

I guess I should ask Dolores or look in our own archives in the office, as we have 30yrs worth of the "Santo Domingo News" (print newspaper) here

Post Thanks / Like

Punta Cana is the name given to the area where the original Punta Cana resort and Club Med were built. It was originally called Punta Borrachón (Drunkard's Point) according to this article on the history of the area. The Punta Cana group registered Puntacana (one word) as a brand name at a later stage.

Punta Cana History | punta cana tv

Post Thanks / Like

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

So, presumably, the only way you can be certain of being in the right place to meet someone is to have both of you wearing portable GPS units and track each other's movements..............?

Sounds like a marketing opportunity, DR1 Special Tracking Devices (not to be abbreviated!).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Punta Cana is the name given to the area where the original Punta Cana resort and Club Med were built. It was originally called Punta Borrachón (Drunkard's Point) according to this article on the history of the area. The Punta Cana group registered Puntacana (one word) as a brand name at a later stage.

Punta Cana History | punta cana tv

That is what I was told by an old drunk bloke when I was in Veron, or was it Beron...
    He said that Punta Cana did not exist until a generation ago and now it refers to an area....

Sadly, when some Americans go on Holiday to the D.R. they refer to the whole country as Punta Cana... Yikes!

Ŕ bientôt

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    "Seńor Rainieri wisely decided to rename it Punta Cana." What a crock of caca mal cagada, caramba! Diablo! The things we read on the Internets!

Same with Bayahibe: It's not in La Romana or San Pedro province; it's in La Altagracia.

Chiri, it's a pleasure to read you. See you soon. En Dominicano: casimente 'toy allá.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast