Reliable internet/phone connections

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
How can a 100% reliable phone and internet connection be maintained in the D.R.? I know it must be possible somehow or else the call centers couldn't operate. My son-in-law had a great job as an interpreter and his skills were excellent, but he lost the job because his service kept cutting him off. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Doubt there is 100% reliability in the DR for computer and calling.

Where does he want to call? If to the US, I am having very good luck with Skype, but not 100%

I used Vonage for awhile with very good results, but then quality deteriorated and I changed to Skype. Much better and cheaper.

Mar 1, 2009
I believe your son in law needs to recieve calls from the USA to perform his job. He wouldn't be making the calls but recieving them?

I am searching for the same thing. Incoming call's from the abroad with maybe one or two hiccups here and there, that I can deal with, not 100% but give at least 95%..... A simple, reliable DSL connection to hook up VOIP and allow all the incoming calls to enter, without paying too much dinero.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Do they have cable internet also?
I'm looking for non expensive but good enough to place phone calls eitheir trough skype or vonage or the like.
by the way in the US, cell phone Companies like Metro PCS and Cricket wireless, (prepaid cell phone companies) for $5 or $10 extra a month, will let you call free to LANDLINE PHONE IN DR. per minutes rates will aplly when calling cell phones.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
My son-in-law had a great job as an interpreter and his skills were excellent, but he lost the job because his service kept cutting him off. Any suggestions?

he probably didn't try that hard to get the service working properly.

I've definitely had major problems at times, but i manage to keep rock solid internet + phone service here since 2001 since its critical for me.

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
Yes, he needs to receive incoming calls.

To Adrian, actually, he really did work VERY hard for a year (fighting with it nearly every day!) to keep that connection going.

Please let me know what set up you use to keep your excellent phone and internet connections. I (and apparently others here, too) would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
exactly what robert said. i've tested aster and tricom and they weren't as good as codetel when its working right.

but it just doesn't make sense that he'd come to you as an expat to get this solved -- we tend to have far less expertise and contacts than dominicans do on these things.

this kind of "victim" stuff is sometimes a way to start receiving gringo subsidies. i'm not saying thats the case, just be careful.