Teaching Salary

Carista

May 9, 2010
I am considering a move to Santo Domingo. I am negotiating a teaching position where I would receive 36 000 pesos/month and a furnished apartment. Can I live off of that salary? I understand that it equals around 1000 US. I appreciate any info you have to offer.

Carista

May 9, 2010
Nice :) Thank you for the reply. How much are groceries for one person/month? I understand that it could vary...just looking for an average.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you have all your accommodation expenses paid for the 1000US$ per month will put you firmly in the middle class income bracket.
If you eat American style supermarket products you should spend around 400US$ per month. If you eat a more Dominican diet you should spend way less than half of that.
That is the recieved wisdom, although whatever I earn I always manage to spend around 110% of my income.

I was just being facetious, but really 1k is fine to live unless you like the high life.
Saving any of the money seems a little pointless at that level though.

Carista

May 9, 2010
I caught your humour :)

But seriously, thank you for your reply. This will be my first time working/living outside of Canada so I need all of the information I can get.

E

engineerfg

Be mindful of the fact that not all 'free apartments' are equal. That is to say, you may end up paying to move. So you may want to take a tourist trip down to check the place out.

Also be mindful that the biggest cost of living in an apartment (for me so far) has been the electricity, so make sure that's included along with water etc in your flat.

Just by way of comparison, some of my costs in canada, and their equivalent in Santo Domingo:

* Blackberry
- Canada - $95/month
- S.Domingo - $RD1800/month (data) + $RD1200/month (voice)

* Dinner + drinks out
- Canada @ Earl's - $80/night
- S.Domingo @ midprice restaraunt - $RD 800 (can be much cheaper)

* Electricity Bill
- Canada - middle of winter - $120/month
- S.Domingo - first month in apartment with AC blasted - RD 12,000 (yah I was stupid with AC, learned my lesson)

* Land Line+internet
- Canada - about $50 TELUS
- S.Domingo - about $RD 2000/month

Good luck

Carista

May 9, 2010
Thank you so much for the info! Okay, so once you scaled down the AC, how much was electricity?