Hotel question

milleniunthug

Jul 2, 2006
I posted this question in the "General section", but I think that was the wrong section. I'm planning a trip to Punta cana in early July, I am Dominican, but grew up in NY, so the question is: are hotel rates cheaper if i have a cedula proving that I am dominican instead of booking thu expedia or Orbitz. And if there is a cheaper rate, how much is it?
Thanks

chicataina

Apr 14, 2010
milleniumthug,
call the hotel directly and use your Spanish. Ask for "reservaci?n". Give them your dates of travel and ask for "la tarifa". If the rates given to you are better then Orbitz or Expedia go ahead with the reservation.

I have found cheaper rates through Liberty travel and Expedia then dealing directly with the hotels.

Good luck
Taina

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
rates are much cheaper online than directly here for us locals, a fact i am always again and again pi$$ed about.
but it's fact.
book with an online agent and you get better rates than at the frontdesk here with cash in hands.
have fun
Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
rates are much cheaper online than directly here for us locals, a fact i am always again and again pi$$ed about.
but it's fact.
book with an online agent and you get better rates than at the frontdesk here with cash in hands.
have fun
Mike

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm going up to Puerto Plata on Monday and online the rate was US$94/night while when I contacted the Sales Manager thru MY hotel Director (hoping that between bosses they could work something out) I got quoted US$135!! Go figure! You would think that with 60% occupancy and going down they would be happy to give us locals a break :(

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Katy,
i will spend with the Mrs dominican mothers day weekend 3 days at the Majestic,
i contacted the Boss whom i know in person, he gave me right away a great rate, compared to the officially over the counter rate he gave me a great rate and i am happy with it, but then i found due a friend that the new Bahia Esmeralda, which is usually more expensive, been available through online agents for even much less than that. i have absolutely no clue how such sometimes very big differences can pop up.
Mike