Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default TEN times the price !

This speak for itself:

You know the little LR44 battery, for watches, remotes and other stuff:

Casa Tonos in Plaza Central: 150 DOP for one

Electronica 30 de Marzo on 30 de Marzo: 33 DOP for a pack of two, so it's 16.50 each.

You can lift your prices a little bit but i think this people are pushing it too hard ...

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

When to buy some halogen lamps yesterday.

La Sirena - RD$425 each.

IKEA - RD$469 for a pack of 4, plus a guarantee.

Imagine walking into La Sirena in 1 years time with a receipt and
    asking them to change a blown halogen. Actually, I think you would have a problem if it was more than 1 day.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    When to buy some halogen lamps yesterday.

La Sirena - RD$425 each.

IKEA - RD$469 for a pack of 4, plus a guarantee.

Imagine walking into La Sirena in 1 years time with a receipt and
    asking them to change a blown halogen. Actually, I think you would have a problem if it was more than 1 day.
    OcohA asks if you to checked the light bulbs before you buy.

So I imagine that means, once out the door, it's your problem!

[Font=ParkAvenue BT]SantiagoDR[/Font]

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect, much of the aleatory pricing here may be affected by a variety of issues, including how things make it thru or sneak by customs.
    Also, where and whom from retailers or wholesalers buy. I have had some retailers show me having BOUGHT wholesale the same item for more than an other retailer would sell them a few blocks away.
    Additionally, many products are being put into stores and even colomadoes by "agents" of producers, wholesalers or companies. Many sales racks, typically for cashier line items (batteries, being a typical example) are being maintained/filled and priced by those "representativos", often with little to now price control or comparability by the retailer. Good products so are declared discontinued and replaced by a smaller more expensive one and so forth.
    PriceSmart... well, it's like BJ's or Costco. It can be a Godsend and a trap at the same time. I have seen BJ's sell bulk quantities for more per item as the local super market. There is also a phenomenon of blurring values at these public "wholesalers", as most packages cost a sizable amount of money... creeping zeroes syndrome... suddenly the buyer gets used to grab mistake a $19.99 item as fairly cheap among packs at 29.99 and 39.99. They know that, they use that and PriceSmart is no different.

... J-D.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If something you want, like toilet paper, is sold by the roll as well as packages of 4, 8, 16, take a close look. I have found that I can save a lot of money by buying the paper I use by the roll rather than in packages with multiple rolls.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

so what is different from Europe or the US...

In Belgium 3$ for a kilo of oranges, and 10$ for 3 kilo... guess what most people bought...

Just look at the prices of washing powder... you would say the bigger the bag, the cheaper it is.... yeah... look again...

It is called marketing (another word on how can we screw the buyer and let him think he made a great deal...)

Look at it from the bright side... I just bought a well known brand of Alkaline AA-batteries (8-pack)... price in Belgium cc. 12$, here 4$... at the local supermercado...

Local example... Energy-saving lamps at Ikea... ouch... 12 times the price of those chinese ones at the local ferreteria, and they lasted 1 week... (the Chinese ones are now lasting 2 months already, and yes the light is somewhat yellower, but as it is inside an Ikea lamp (one of those paper ones) you don't notice it... lol)...

Levi's Store in Santiago... the recommended US sales-price which is on every article is not followed... the actual price is cc. 20% cheaper...

So, conclusion... it is the same all over the world... if you do not look at the prices, and compare (AND consider whether the price-difference is worth the time and money to go somewhere else)... you will get screwed...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

interesting. i've tended to blindly buy the large packages. not so smart.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a man in Cabarete that sells beach shoes that has quite a mark up on shoes which can be bought in Puerta plata for Rd 350 ....he was asking about RD 2000

- he can be found near century 21, very friendly but I couldnt possibly start bargaining from such a high price

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Today, by chance, I came across a lot of Timberland hiking boots, and they were selling them for the incredible price of 600 DOP.

My conclusion... someone found a Timberland stamp.... whahahahaha

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    OcohA asks if you to checked the light bulbs before you buy.

So I imagine that means, once out the door, it's your problem!
    The following photo is posted pending acceptance / approval from NAL's,
    .... the Connecticut Yankee.

"Just the Facts Ma'am, just the facts" Yes I can, read Spanish!

[Font=ParkAvenue BT]SantiagoDR[/Font]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast