What's the LOWEST temp recorded in the DR?

S

Sarah

Anybody have a guess? A friend wants to know. I'd say 60F or so?

L

Lic. Mercedes Abreu Devillier

The are of Constanza registers much much lower than that. I do not have the facts on hand, but the average remperature in that particular town is 65F a year.

C

Charlie

I would have think it would be much cooler up on one the mountains. On a recent December visit, I took a chill up on Sarasota and Winston Churchill Ave. in Santo Domingo. This was mid-afternoon and the temperature read 67 degrees on some bank clock. With a breeze blowing, it was a little out of the comfort zone. My Dominican novia told me that it got cooler during the winter months. I saw several women wearing sweaters and wraps at night.

J

Jim Hinsch

I personally experienced 55F in Boca Chica last year during a cold snap. That's at the beach. I'm sure on some days in some parts high in the mountains, the temp drops below freezing.

F

Fabio J. Guzm?n

Maximum recorded temperature: 43 Celsius (Mao, 1954)

Minimum recorded temperature: -3.5 Celsius (Valle Nuevo, March 1959)

Source: Santiago de la Fuente, Geograf?a Dominicana, p. 161 (published in 1976).

M

Marvin

Convert to Fahrenheit

Could you please convert that to Fahrenheit?

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: What's the LOWEST temp recorded in the DR? *PIC*

See http://www.bocachicabeach.net/when_to_visit.html or clock on the link below for historical temperatures (High and Low) for Santo Domingo.

A

Andy

I have a friend who usually climbs Pico Duarte on New Years Day and spends the night. He tells me that on a number of occasions he has seen ice form in the hours just before dawn. Personally, I've seen 52 degrees in Las Galeras. Coastal areas with mountains close inland frequently are considerably cooler as the cold night air rolls down the mountains and displaces the warm sea level air (I've even seen coastal fog here). This phenomena even deflects the usual tradewinds and forms a cold, still umbra around much of the DR at night and even tends to lay down the seas. These still areas can sometimes extend up to 50 miles offshore.

R

rabble rouser

Re: Convert to Fahrenheit

....cold, and freaking hot!!!!!!

X

x

F = (9/5)*C + 32

Where F is Farenheit and C is Celsius..

F

Fabio J. Guzm?n

Minimum = -3.5 C = 25.7 F

Maximum = 43 C = 109.4 F

N

nilo

a was in jarabacoa in the first of january and on nigth it was 9 celcius

H

hillbilly

That's about 110?F in the shade! And I know

there are places without thermometers that are hotter, like Jaquipicado, just to the west of Santiago, and also, down near Perdenales. Places in the L?nea Noroeste are hot, hot, hot!

Valle Nuevo up by Constanza constantly records temps that are below 30? F.

Thanks for the data Fabio, I am sure old Mr. Garc?a, the weather recorder in Mao for over thirty years would be proud to know his efforts are now known on the WWW!

BTW, I sometimes feel that the greatest temp swings are also in these hot areas. Maybe as much as 50 degrees from high to low.

HB

C

CES

Re :) Small world (HB)

>>> "Thanks for the data Fabio, I am sure old Mr. Garc?a, the weather recorder in Mao for over thirty years would be proud to know his efforts are now known on the WWW!" <<<

Hi Sr. Hillbilly,

Mrs. CES sez' that Sr. Garc?a was her fourth grade teacher! If this is true, then once again another example of just how small the world can be.

Regards,

. . . CES

C

CES

Re: "el se?or Garcia's memory" (HB :)

~ ~ ~ a quote from Mrs. CES:

"I also, like to say, in el se?or Garcia's memory, that he has endured with his presence in my memory and I can say proudly that I was one of his students and that his wisdom and care formed my early years."

ps . . . BTW thanks for the e-mail HB, the cyber world certainly is a wondrous thing. lol :)

Best Regards,

. . . CES