moving to sosua....

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
I have bought a place in Sosua, I was wondering what I should bring and what I should get there, I would buy furniture and the larger things there, and bring smaller items. I'm looking for a scooter or maybe a couple bicycles with baskets. What practical advice do you have. If you ask questions I will answer them to further my information request. Thanks for your time.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have bought a place in Sosua, I was wondering what I should bring and what I should get there, I would buy furniture and the larger things there, and bring smaller items. I'm looking for a scooter or maybe a couple bicycles with baskets. What practical advice do you have. If you ask questions I will answer them to further my information request. Thanks for your time.

You could also try using the search button on this site so you can do some research and get aquainted with your new destination of choice.

There is so much info stored on this site it will truly expedite your questions and answers

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
that was not a sarcastic comment by the way .Tea bags are very expensive here and shoes are mostly not of good quality - a bit too quick off the mark there

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
tea bags, tin opener, good knife, garlic crusher, good quality clothes, lap top

Everything else you can get here.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I second the shoe advice, I don?t know why but they don?t last 5 minutes here and they are not cheap if you want good brands.

Reactions: jrhartley

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Perhaps if you tell us where you are coming from then your fellow countrymen/women can tell you what they can't get here and miss the most!

May 29, 2006
I'd bring a travel safe like this one next time:

Portable Security Safe

$20 and you can keep the small valuable stuff in there.

Surge protector strips-- and perhaps an external hard drive to back up your computer in case it gets fried.

Be sure to scan a copy of your passport and email it to yourself.

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Well I have a home in North Carolina, and my girl friend lives there. I have lived in Canada and England, now I live and work in the Middle East, sometimes other places. So far I'm planning on bringing down this trip towels ,silverware, a crock pot, some smaller kitchen items like the garlic press, blow dryer and curling iron, (there for my girl friend). My plan is to buy furniture there as well as transportation, like bikes or a scooter. I will be traveling back and forth due to my work so i will have the opportunity to bring in stuff with each trip. What about bringing in liquor, I haven't found my brand of single malt there yet. I am looking forward to making the move, we have already met friends down there and I'm sure will meet many more. I appreciate all the help and information. cheers Mike

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
I have scanned my passports, medical ,dental and shot records. I have e-mailed them to myself and have them on a thumb drive. I also carry laminated copies of the important documents hidden in my duffel's. The security box is a good idea, I thought about getting one there, or would it be better to bring it down. I would like a way to anchor it to the floor in a closet or something. Let me know what you think.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You might not get much use out of the crock pot, depending upon the electricity situation where you are living. If you are in a 24/7 circuit, no problem. If, however, there are regular blackouts, you most likely won't have electricity long enough for the crock pot to work properly.

Since it is an appliance that has a heating element, I would think (don't really know the wattage you were planning to purchase) that it might draw too much current for a generator or inverter.

May 29, 2006
I would prob use the P-trap under a sink to lock it to since it would be hidden and not too quick to remove even with force. Or you could attach it under a bed frame or other large object. The main thing is to prevent theft by opportunity such as from a house cleaner or someone who breaks in to grab and go. I've also thought of the cheap window alarms for use in drawers or cabinets or on entry points. I think there is a huge potential for selling security systems in the DR...

I like the crock pot idea, but maybe something that would also cook rice as well.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You can get the "hotel" type small safes here... for $40.oo to $80.oo.
You can get a digital safe at PriceSmart in Santiago or Santo Domingo for around $150.oo.

You can get a LOT here, especially if you can treat yourself to an occasional trip to Santiago or Santo Domingo. However, sometimes, not to say often, the quality is just not there.

Shoes, it's always though to find the "same" shoes in a different country. Actually, here -again in the main cities- one can get quality shoes from Brazil for $40.oo to $100.oo... all leather, well made.

... J-D.

I would suggest you buy the furniture sofas,beds etc in Santiago. I bought some very nice furniture and beds in Santiago 4 years ago (near calle de sol)and they are fine quality and the price was negotiable and I am very satisfied still with my furniture. If you need a scooter there is a motorcycle shop down the road from Caribe Campo that sells scooters for a fair price and he also services what he sells. As for your single malts I have a good selection at my apt and would be happy to share a drink someday but I had to bring them in from the US,Not many places have a selection of single malts in DR unless you travel into the Capital,sometimes they have some decent single malts in duty free upon arrival but not always.

Reactions: Bronxboy

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
I would suggest you buy the furniture sofas,beds etc in Santiago. I bought some very nice furniture and beds in Santiago 4 years ago (near calle de sol)and they are fine quality and the price was negotiable and I am very satisfied still with my furniture. If you need a scooter there is a motorcycle shop down the road from Caribe Campo that sells scooters for a fair price and he also services what he sells. As for your single malts I have a good selection at my apt and would be happy to share a drink someday but I had to bring them in from the US,Not many places have a selection of single malts in DR unless you travel into the Capital,sometimes they have some decent single malts in duty free upon arrival but not always.

I will see what it takes to bring in some single malt, and maybe we can link up and share a drink or two.

I was told a good frying pan is hard to find also.

Thanks on the info on the scooters. When I'm down there I'm usually out at Jolly Roger of an evening, maybe we will all meet sometime. Thanks again. Mike

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I will see what it takes to bring in some single malt, and maybe we can link up and share a drink or two.

I was told a good frying pan is hard to find also.

Thanks on the info on the scooters. When I'm down there I'm usually out at Jolly Roger of an evening, maybe we will all meet sometime. Thanks again. Mike

You can get a professional frying pan right here in Puerto Plata at one of the Hotel supply stores. You can get a "pro"-grade one at PriceSmart in Santiago or Santo Domingo for an acceptable price.

I think that JR's suggestion of "Tea bags" actually brings up an interesting point worth while discussing. It's not about "Tea bags" per se , but rather about every one's individual little thing we can't seem to want to be without.
For JR it may be a decent tea, for some Canadians it often seems to be real maple syrup and some Americans... let's say... Peanut butter or "Franks"... what ever. Individual and personally important things may be the ones you rally can't find or accept a local replacement for.

... J-D.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Shoes, it's always though to find the "same" shoes in a different country. Actually, here -again in the main cities- one can get quality shoes from Brazil for $40.oo to $100.oo... all leather, well made.

do they have pointy toes though ? my feet are big enough without big pointy bits on the end thank you

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
do they have pointy toes though ? my feet are big enough without big pointy bits on the end thank you

I wear the same size shoes Donald Duck would have. In other words, I have wide feet. In the US I try to pick up EEE's or W-sizes. Here, like in Europe I have to get a size larger to accommodate my width.
So besides personal taste, I am not fond of the Tiguere-style pointed or excessively elongated shoes for that reason. Besides, they are meant for those who still believe that longer feet would suggest something else may be longer. :bunny:
The Brazilian made shoes I seem to find, usually do come in more "normal" shapes too. I like their moccasins, leather upper, lining and sole.

I must confess, I have several times been suspected of mild to accute retifism, as when I do FIND shoes I like in shape and quality and are a fit, I seem unable to restrain myself and will usually buy'em ALL. I always keep a pretty good stock of new shoes. :cheeky:

It's funny, when I lived in the US, I brought a lot of shoes back from my trips to Europe. Now, when I come back from my trips to the States, my bags are stuffed with shoes from the US malls. :tired:
But when I spend a day in Santiago, you bet, you can find some new shoes hidden in between all the PriceSmart groceries (and NO, they are not from that store and neither PriceLess next door!

The best street I have found in Santiago so far would be Calle Restauracion, a parallel in between Calle del Sol and Las Carreras.
The El Encanto store there always has some "liquidations", sometimes even of Spanish made shoes like "Michel" (a fine brand). And there is a good number of other stores, which also carry full (natural) leather shoes at can be haggled with.

... J-D.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
"For JR it may be a decent tea, for some Canadians it often seems to be real maple syrup and some Americans... let's say... Peanut butter or "Franks"... what ever. Individual and personally important things may be the ones you rally can't find or accept a local replacement for."

As a Canadian I bring my own tea bags but I really miss good bacon!!

:bunny::bunny: