Love DR and have a wonderful time every time I go, but I get anxious every time I pla

chicataina

Apr 14, 2010
Love DR and have a wonderful time every time I go, but I get anxious every time I plan the next trip. Here is why? Some of the posts on DR1 on safety and living there scare me, the news on the internet and TV get worst every time I read & watch and my families tell me frequently of killing, stabbing kidnappings etc. At the end of the trip I tell myself that I will remember the experience for next time but it never happens. You would think that someone who was born there would know better. I guess I?ve been in the USA too long.
I love DR and want to buy a vacation home there. Are there middle class community in the Punta Cana, Bavaro area with a good environment for family and children? My intentions are to spend summers and other holidays there with my kids and husband. I?ve stayed at various resorts in the Punta Cana, Bavaro area and LOVE the beach. I thought PC area would be better for me as oppose to Puerto Plata because of the crime but reading some of the posts here my anxiety is kicking in. I want to live in an area that is safe for me and my family with access to the beach. The ideal beach house will also have the following:
? 3br 2 bath budget <200K
? Gated community (I know some of you on DR1 are calling me ?miedosa?right about now )
? Access to the beach
? Pool (would be nice)
? No GATES on window or garage.
? Good environment for children

Any recommendations on which community to consider would be appreciated.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so we are doing a good job then ! If we didnt scare you you might not be so aware of your surroundings . Its always good to be aware of possible danger so that so can minimize the risk.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, there is a lot to choose from in the PC/Bavaro area that meets all or most of your specifications.

In Punta Cana Village we don't have gates or bars, but we're 4kms from the beach - cyclable distance.

Los Corales in B?varo looks like a nice place to live and it's right on the beach.

Cien Fuego

May 14, 2010
Love DR and have a wonderful time every time I go, but I get anxious every time I plan the next trip. Here is why? Some of the posts on DR1 on safety and living there scare me, the news on the internet and TV get worst every time I read & watch and my families tell me frequently of killing, stabbing kidnappings etc. At the end of the trip I tell myself that I will remember the experience for next time but it never happens. You would think that someone who was born there would know better. I guess I?ve been in the USA too long.
I love DR and want to buy a vacation home there. Are there middle class community in the Punta Cana, Bavaro area with a good environment for family and children? My intentions are to spend summers and other holidays there with my kids and husband. I?ve stayed at various resorts in the Punta Cana, Bavaro area and LOVE the beach. I thought PC area would be better for me as oppose to Puerto Plata because of the crime but reading some of the posts here my anxiety is kicking in. I want to live in an area that is safe for me and my family with access to the beach. The ideal beach house will also have the following:
? 3br 2 bath budget <200K
? Gated community (I know some of you on DR1 are calling me ?miedosa?right about now )
? Access to the beach
? Pool (would be nice)
? No GATES on window or garage.
? Good environment for children

Any recommendations on which community to consider would be appreciated.

It all comes down to common sense. Truthfully , I felt more safe in the bad barrios of the DR then in the worst nieghborhoods of the US. I used to live in Cien Fuego in Santiago (This area is known for some unsavoy characters) . During the day, I walked around like I was a gringo celebrity, but at night (logically) I did not walk around after 9pm alone. Just use your common sense and you will be alright whereever you live.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Middle class communities??
You did well on coming here, because obviously, your vacationing has not allowed you to yet understand the country.
You will NOT find solid local middle class communities anywhere here besides the two main cities.
Even to Latin American standards, a solid enough middle class to spread out and build a pattern of communities across the whole country is virtually non-existent.

You WILL find, developments around most "holiday" location like Punta Cana, Bavaro and so forth, GEARED towards the FOREIGN middle class. They are usually not immediately facing the sea, usually on the other side of the main Hwy and often suspisciouly close to "bad" areas or areas of concern or not yet developed areas.

Back to the usual little speach:

BEFORE you even consider buying, you WANT to gain in depth ON-SITE knowledge thru experience in this country. It takes time HERE... MONTHS if not YEARS before you can really commit funds to RE in this country in an educated manner (knowing vs. guessing, or believing the recommendations of a starving "RE" agent).

So, RENT, rent, rent. If you do so smartly, you won't "loose" any money, stay FREE to move on, bail out or progress.

... J-D.

Reactions: badpiece33

chicataina

Apr 14, 2010
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have identified a unit to rent this summer in the area i am interested.

Taina

So, RENT, rent, rent. If you do so smartly, you won't "loose" any money, stay FREE to move on, bail out or progress.

... J-D.

JD,truer words could not be spoken, I have been renting in DR for a little over six years now and have lived in Sosua and Puerto Plata in 2 gated apt complexes in Sosua and a large house in Puerto Plata and the freedom to be able to pick up and move without hassle is liberating. I will someday buy property again in DR, I once owned a home in Santo Domingo,But for now renting is so much more cost effective and if things go awry in the complex you rent in, you can be up and out in just a few days with no strings attached.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
so we are doing a good job then ! If we didnt scare you you might not be so aware of your surroundings . Its always good to be aware of possible danger so that so can minimize the risk.
You are right that is a big help, I will put an example: today I stop by a small used car dealer close by my house the owner is an old guy who attend by him self I mean don't have employees this afternoon when I got there he was sleeping with his feet on top of the desk and the front door was open, I said, hey buddy I think you feel safe here you are not afraid some one can brake in and give you an assault and he pointed the screen of the security system and I ask him so if you get killed here you will be OK knowing the police will catch the thief and he smiled and said you are right I should be more careful time is changing.
this guy enjoy any time I stop by and we have long conversations as he is bored there most of the time.

JJ