Dealing with an unhelpful landlord.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have been living in the same apartment for around 8 months. During this time I have had several problems with things in the apartment. No hot water for a month, the cable does not have the 100 chanels advertised, instead around 5 that get some form of reception, plenty general maintenence jobs I have sort to complete myself as I can see it will not get done on his time. Also I have helped him out on several occasions with repairs to other apartments in the block without charge, rather in the hope I would urge him to get me the materials I need to fix the problems and arrange something new for the cable. None of these things have urged his motiviation to help or fulfill his duty. On top of this I have found him new tennants.
Last night came to a head when the TV went down completely and I found myself scraping cockroach eggs from my foot on a trip to thje toilet.
How would you deal with this. I have an idea to claim a form of compensation via billing him for the work I have done on the apartments. baring in mind I have waited for 6 months for some of these problems not to be fixed or materials ordered for me to complete myself.

Anyone know how to get through to a guy like this. He lives in the complex and so is aware we have problems every time I see him.

Ideas please.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
sounds like it would be easier to move - are you tied into a contract for a specific time period

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yes moving will be on the cards very soon but I would like to get somewhere with this. Finding a clean furnished apartment isn?t easy and after looking at a few I am not full of confidence th same will not happen again, getting tied down to a 6 month hell deal is something that would drive my patience to the limit after this experience.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe there is someone moving on that can suggest a nice place that they are vacating- dont believe all private messages though

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Our company rents a few houses in the little town where our operation is. When we fix something little, we take it off the rent. Do not know if this is legal. But if it is a major issues, we just eat the cost and fix ourselves.

Bottomline is to fix it yourself and be happy or move on.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i've had similar problems.

withhold your monthly rent payments until things are fixed. there's a way to deposit money into a holding account at banco agricola which counts as legal payments and they can't kick you out. i've not had to go this far; the threat of withholding payments will usually take care of it.

Reactions: Celt202
Mar 1, 2009
I don't recommend uncivilized behaviour at all in this country that has opened it's door's to immigrants from all over the planet since 1492. My dad has an apartment building and his greatest issue is that one of his tenants will withhold payment from him and just squat in one of his apartments, so he is a very dutiful landlord, repairs and garbage all done on time. He say's that if his tenants wanted to they could just sit in the apartments for ages and he wouldn't be able to kick them out since the law is on their side. So maybe that is your out, you can withhold payment and when he complains tell him, fix my cockaroach infested apartment or else you won't see one stinkin red cent!!!

My two chele'