Retiring and Wanting to Move to the DR

Welt

May 11, 2010
I really need help from some of you guys. I guess many of you that have moved to DR from the US would really be able to help me out but I will take help from anyone.

First of all I am 36, I just retired from a police department here in the States because of injury. I am married and I have two children ages 15 and 12. I have been to the DR several times and I love it there. My wife and I always thought about retiring there one day but an injury caused that to happen pretty soon.

Do you guys think that we can exist ok with me bringing in a little more than $4,200 a month? Do you guys feel I should wait until the kids graduate? What are the schools system like in the DR? I have been to the DR a few times and a couple of times I got bit by the water situation. Those were the times that I was on a resort, drinking and brushing with bottled water. I think some of my food might have been washed with the tap. Did you guys ever get used to the water situation? My spanish is pretty good, I am half-puerto rican, but my wife and kid's spanish leaves a lot to be desired to say the least. What do you suggest the best option for me and someone in my position would be? I love the country, the people and everything but I want to make a calculating decision but I would like to know some opinions from you guys on the forum. Thanks in advance.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
First, if you want the best schooling for your children, let them finish in the states.
Even the private school system here is embarrassing, let alone the public school system.
Is there an area of the country here that you prefer? You don't mention what areas you visited and liked on your prior visits. Now the water, most who can afford it drink nothing but bottled water. There are preventive measures when cleaning your food that you have to get used to and adhere by. As far as 4200. per month, you say you are 36 and it appears you are on some sort of disability income. Is this for the rest of your life or until the disability improves, if ever. 4200. is a hefty monthly income here, you shouldn't have any problem at all unless you get ridiculous with the spending.
It seems like the only thing holding you back is the schooling, that is a decision you are going to have to make. Depending on the city you finally choose, there may be a private school that meets the high level of degree that you want for your children. There are many DR1'ers here with children that will have the information you desire.
Good luck, and you will love it here, regardless of what some people say.

Reactions: mike l

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are some decent private schools here that teach in English. I would not base my decision on this one thing. PM Hillbilly on this, he could advise you.

As for living on your income, you will live very well on it here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Alternatively, you & your wife could move, & leave the children with a trusted relative to finish their education (I admit 12 is possibly a bit young for this but your 15 year old would probably have a ball!) and they could come down for school holidays. I know that won't be a popular suggestion with some, but I loved it when my parents went gallivanting off and left me to my own devices.

Your income should be more than enough but what is it you plan to do here? I assume at the young age of 36 you really don't want to 'retire' as in give up productive activity? You can clealry type so your injury would not preclude those sorts of activities. Advice would be to plan to do something, otherwise after the first year or so of settling in, boredom might strike.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Some of the international schools offer a BETTER education than can be had in many schools in the USA or other countries. For example : Abraham Lincoln school in La Romana has, unless degraded a very good reputation and your children will be able to apply for American University. Why don't you come in the summer for 2 months, explore the options and different areas of the country.
Schools in the Dominican Republic

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
...but isnt moving school within ones own country bad enough for the education of children who are at the exam taking age.
I wasnt questioning the schools here , more about changing courses and styles of teaching

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
...but isnt moving school within ones own country bad enough for the education of children who are at the exam taking age.
I wasnt questioning the schools here , more about changing courses and styles of teaching

I agree with jr. Not to mention that if I'd told my kids at those ages that we were moving out of the country there would have been instant rebellion. Difficult ages to leave friends behind.... Plus the OP would be limited as to where he could live in DR based on available English language schools that are up to par with US education standards. Lots of challenges to be overcome, but certainly not impossible to accomplish!

AE

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I agree totally but if the children are in agreement and are intelligent they can adapt, after all adaptation is a valuable life-long skill. My sons have gone to schools in two different countries and 4 different provinces, including public and Catholic schools. As long as the school teaches critical thinking the children should be OK. My TAKE.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree with jr. Not to mention that if I'd told my kids at those ages that we were moving out of the country there would have been instant rebellion. Difficult ages to leave friends behind.... Plus the OP would be limited as to where he could live in DR based on available English language schools that are up to par with US education standards. Lots of challenges to be overcome, but certainly not impossible to accomplish!

AE
AMERICAN EDUCATION STANDARDS vary considerably.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think you should re ask the question after you have 500 posts.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I always regretted not raising my children in the D.R. Now that I am retired, they don't want to live here. With your budget you could afford some pretty good education, most i.o.d. pensions are tax free.
I had to go all the way and put 34 years (2 military)Had I gotten a pension @ 30 something, a long crowbar be needed to remove my cold fingers from D.R.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Maybe consider education through the internet there are many schools even US that have web sites. You could enroll your children before you leave so they can try it out. There are universities that have educational programs via internet.
As far as your income I live here very happily with two children on less than half what you have.

Mar 1, 2009
If I have children, I will raise them here in the DR and visit the USA for business or vacation only.

The schools here are not that bad at all. I attended 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8th grade level courses in the DR, they we're superb. I then went to attend public school in USA (9th grade level on to 12th) and I was appalled at the violence, disrespect and lack of interest I saw from the students towards the teachers and to the assignments provided.

My cousin is a teacher in a public school now in the DR, she describes similar experiences as to what I saw in the States. I however went to private school in the DR and once in the US, I missed the environment dearly.

The children that I have seen, met and come to know in the DR (those who attend private school) seem to come out quite bright, well spoken, can do proper arithmetic and other equations that are performed in the advanced countries of Europe and North America. The kids that I have met, coming out of the schools can even READ!!!!!!!!! So don't worry your kids will at least be able to read :)

Reactions: bob saunders

Welt

May 11, 2010
First, if you want the best schooling for your children, let them finish in the states.
Even the private school system here is embarrassing, let alone the public school system.
Is there an area of the country here that you prefer? You don't mention what areas you visited and liked on your prior visits. Now the water, most who can afford it drink nothing but bottled water. There are preventive measures when cleaning your food that you have to get used to and adhere by. As far as 4200. per month, you say you are 36 and it appears you are on some sort of disability income. Is this for the rest of your life or until the disability improves, if ever. 4200. is a hefty monthly income here, you shouldn't have any problem at all unless you get ridiculous with the spending.
It seems like the only thing holding you back is the schooling, that is a decision you are going to have to make. Depending on the city you finally choose, there may be a private school that meets the high level of degree that you want for your children. There are many DR1'ers here with children that will have the information you desire.

I have been to Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, and Higuey. I stayed in Puerta Plata briefly and loved it. That would be ideal for me.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Misleading to put it kindly, the private school system in the DR in Santo Domingo (not in the North Coast where every expat wants to move and settle) is way better than the schools here in the US. One can be easily misled by the deficient quality of the public school in the DR but private entities are a totally different animal.

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Answering the OP question, on that budget you will be living really good in the DR. Just be sure to move to one of the big cities (Santo Domingo or Santiago) in which the beaches are either half-hour o 1 hour away.

The only reason I recommend you the cities is because of your children education, you may want them to be in a quality bilingual school and the best one are only found in those enclaves. Maybe you can set a small business on the side which can bring some pocket change which can be really useful for daily expenses and gas.

To summarize it, as long as you are responsible and put your kids in a good bilingual school then yes, you can make it here. But first travel a lot more here to keep getting acquainted with the country.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I agree totally but if the children are in agreement and are intelligent they can adapt, after all adaptation is a valuable life-long skill. My sons have gone to schools in two different countries and 4 different provinces, including public and Catholic schools. As long as the school teaches critical thinking the children should be OK. My TAKE.

Biggest problem the oldest will have is the normal(USA) extra curricular activities, are nonexistent. Mine when they were here had been in band and soccer before they moved. Going out clubbing to Neons here in santo domingo did not make up for it. There are good private schools here in the capital.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hummm....an interesting situation. You should be able to live fairly well on that salary in the US for a few more years.
I can see that the idea of "Margaritaville" is attractive, darn straight! However, like others, I am sure you want the best for the two kids.

I think I would eliminate any ofthe tourist areas, because you get less for the dollar spent in terms of goods and services. Santo Domingo is attractive, but expensive.
An argument, counter to what Ijust said , can be made for Punta Cana, since there are some good schools out that way. La Romana too. Abraham Lincoln is one of the best anywhere.

Since you can afford private schools, I would not worry too much, you can find good ones. And you can take an active part in their education.

As for after school activities, these will have to be done by the kids..there are baseball, basketball, and all the martial arts to practice. Almost every sport has clubs and competitions.

I like Santiago, and raised a whole bunch of kids here. There are good schools andyhou can always make sure there is less TV, Ipod, and Game Cube or X-box...and it is a safe city.

If you want, you can visit and we can talk.

Cordially,

HB