rental car companies

hahm74

May 7, 2007
I'm planning on renting an SUV from the airport in Santo Domingo. Avis seems to have the best rates, but I've read some bad reports about Avis. Budget is my next choice. Any opinions on either of these two companies or advice in general on renting in the DR??
Thanks!

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Thanks. I checked Alamo. Their price is about the same as Budget. However, in reading the small print, it looks like we would be required to purchase Third Party insurance for $7/day. Anyone have any experience with that?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks. I checked Alamo. Their price is about the same as Budget. However, in reading the small print, it looks like we would be required to purchase Third Party insurance for $7/day. Anyone have any experience with that?
Third party liability insurance is mandatory. Will you be using your credit card for CDW or are you going to get full coverage from the rental agency? Also in rep dom you have an option of paying for tire and windshield insurance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Third party liability insurance is mandatory. Will you be using your credit card for CDW or are you going to get full coverage from the rental agency? Also in rep dom you have an option of paying for tire and windshield insurance.

Tire insurance might be worthwhile... lots of flats.
But as has been said elsewhere... repairs are cheap and fast.

WW

mrweepa1

Jun 12, 2009
Insurance for car rental

Get the Glass insurance. Alot of stones on roads. I had to pay for a star on my last rental car. $65.00 us. Always fully check out the car before you sigh the check out paper. :surprised:surprised:surprised:squareeye:squareeye

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I'm planning on renting an SUV from the airport in Santo Domingo. Avis seems to have the best rates, but I've read some bad reports about Avis. Budget is my next choice. Any opinions on either of these two companies or advice in general on renting in the DR??
Thanks!

Will there be a Domincan with you; and do they have a license?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No, there won't be a Dominican with us. Is that a problem??
No that will not be a problem. I think why the poster questioned you was because some say you get lower rates if a local rents the vehicle. I don't know if this is true or not.

You should be fine with any of the big rental agencies. As mentioned inspect the vehicle, make sure you have full insurance coverage, drive safe and avoid driving at night.

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
rented from alamo in april and i took all of the insurance. good thing because i was hit twice once the car beside me decided he needed to be in front of me and dragged the side of his car down my front bumper and kept going the car didn't look like it was his first time. The second guy thought i needed a little help to run the red light so he bumped me a couple times and loosened the rear bumper cover. No problems returning the car but it could have been.
Dave

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rented from alamo in april and i took all of the insurance. good thing because i was hit twice once the car beside me decided he needed to be in front of me and dragged the side of his car down my front bumper and kept going the car didn't look like it was his first time. The second guy thought i needed a little help to run the red light so he bumped me a couple times and loosened the rear bumper cover. No problems returning the car but it could have been.
Dave

Couple of questions Dave.

Did you get CDW from the rental agency or did you use a credit card for CDW.

How difficult was it to get a police report.

The driver of the first car left the scene of the accident did the driver of the second accident drive around you and keep going also.

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Third party liability required?

I do plan on using my credit card for CDW, but am I correct in understanding that all the companies will require Third Party Liability? This seems to cost $7.70/day? Is this correct?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I do plan on using my credit card for CDW, but am I correct in understanding that all the companies will require Third Party Liability? This seems to cost $7.70/day? Is this correct?

All credit card companies require that you accept third party liability. You really need this insurance. You can also email the credit card company you intend to use and they will email you a .doc of their coverage. To play it safe it would be advisable to call the CC company for detailed info.

I have the .doc for MasterCard on file on my laptop.

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Thanks for the info. I am planning on contacting my cc company.
On a different subject...Anyone have any information on ACE in the DR. They seem to be a bit cheaper than the others. Their website says that their local provider is Nelly Cars. Is this going to be a Mom and Pop place? Will I actually get what I reserve?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for the info. I am planning on contacting my cc company.
On a different subject...Anyone have any information on ACE in the DR. They seem to be a bit cheaper than the others. Their website says that their local provider is Nelly Cars. Is this going to be a Mom and Pop place? Will I actually get what I reserve?

Nelly has been in business in SD for a very long time, I remember renting from them back in the 70s. I have friends who use them and I've never heard of any major problems - never knew they were part of a larger network, always thought they were a local company. Live and learn....

AE