Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: rental car companies

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default rental car companies

    I'm planning on renting an SUV from the airport in Santo Domingo. Avis seems to have the best rates, but I've read some bad reports about Avis. Budget is my next choice. Any opinions on either of these two companies or advice in general on renting in the DR??
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    455
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    take a look at alamo. they had the best price when i checked.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks. I checked Alamo. Their price is about the same as Budget. However, in reading the small print, it looks like we would be required to purchase Third Party insurance for $7/day. Anyone have any experience with that?

  4. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hahm74 View Post
    Thanks. I checked Alamo. Their price is about the same as Budget. However, in reading the small print, it looks like we would be required to purchase Third Party insurance for $7/day. Anyone have any experience with that?
    Third party liability insurance is mandatory. Will you be using your credit card for CDW or are you going to get full coverage from the rental agency? Also in rep dom you have an option of paying for tire and windshield insurance.

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Third party liability insurance is mandatory. Will you be using your credit card for CDW or are you going to get full coverage from the rental agency? Also in rep dom you have an option of paying for tire and windshield insurance.
    Tire insurance might be worthwhile... lots of flats.
    But as has been said elsewhere... repairs are cheap and fast.

    WW

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Insurance for car rental

    Get the Glass insurance. Alot of stones on roads. I had to pay for a star on my last rental car. $65.00 us. Always fully check out the car before you sigh the check out paper.

  7. #7
    *** I love DR1 ***
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hahm74 View Post
    I'm planning on renting an SUV from the airport in Santo Domingo. Avis seems to have the best rates, but I've read some bad reports about Avis. Budget is my next choice. Any opinions on either of these two companies or advice in general on renting in the DR??
    Thanks!
    Will there be a Domincan with you; and do they have a license?

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No, there won't be a Dominican with us. Is that a problem??

  9. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hahm74 View Post
    No, there won't be a Dominican with us. Is that a problem??
    No that will not be a problem. I think why the poster questioned you was because some say you get lower rates if a local rents the vehicle. I don't know if this is true or not.

    You should be fine with any of the big rental agencies. As mentioned inspect the vehicle, make sure you have full insurance coverage, drive safe and avoid driving at night.

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    rented from alamo in april and i took all of the insurance. good thing because i was hit twice once the car beside me decided he needed to be in front of me and dragged the side of his car down my front bumper and kept going the car didn't look like it was his first time. The second guy thought i needed a little help to run the red light so he bumped me a couple times and loosened the rear bumper cover. No problems returning the car but it could have been.
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •