Burgers and Fries & Hot Apple Pies!

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
In the past month & a half I have asked at least 3 times at the MacDonald's by Nacional and they have not had any apple pies ... they ARE on the menu yes ... but whether they actually HAVE them ???

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
In the past month & a half I have asked at least 3 times at the MacDonald's by Nacional and they have not had any apple pies ... they ARE on the menu yes ... but whether they actually HAVE them ???

Why eat apple pie when you have "dulce de coco, jalao, dulce de mani, canqui?a, ojaldra" etc available?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Why eat apple pie when you have "dulce de coco, jalao, dulce de mani, canqui?a, ojaldra" etc available?

because apple or cherry pie rocks, Have to make your own to get real ones and big enough to snack on later

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

PriceMart sells an excellent apple pie, just like mom made.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Good to know but last night I had this craving for a McDonald's hot apple pie and I haven't eaten one of those in 32 years

I know what you mean, those little hot apple pie servings in those little cardboard sleeves are hard to beat, real yummy. Ate lunch today at Micky D's downtown Santiago and they finally got the bread perfect on the burger, duh, I forgot to look and see if they carry the apple pie. Think I'll go back tomorrow, didn't like being on a diet anyways.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If I remember correctly they are like an apple egg roll
You have a great memory,,,,,,,, just finished eating two of them. They are 2 for a buck in the USA.

8whzy8.jpg

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The red package was used for both the apple and cherry pies but I will be looking for the green one now

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
Apple foot

I've never had one here. Somehow "Apple foot" just doesn't sound appealing to me.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I use to like them when they were fried... can't remember when that stopped but at least 10 - 15 years ago in Canada and the U.S. they said baked were healthier! Are they baked or friend in the DR?

You could always try making your own? Make some empanada dough, buy a tin of apple pie filling and fry or bake it up! Yum!

rimley

Oct 16, 2008
I use to like them when they were fried... can't remember when that stopped but at least 10 - 15 years ago in Canada and the U.S. they said baked were healthier! Are they baked or friend in the DR?

You could always try making your own? Make some empanada dough, buy a tin of apple pie filling and fry or bake it up! Yum!

They still fry them in Europe (which is why I ALWAYS go to Mickey D's in Europe), but bake them in the US and in Canada....and in the DR! I asked for one in Santiago last year and they didn't have any. My burger on the other hand..tasted NOTHING LIKE a normal burger. I tried the Burger King in Puerto Plata....Everything was right except the actual burger. It wasn't flame brioiled! It basically turned my Whopper into a LIE!

So, having these fast food chains in DR does not excite me anymore. It actually makes me sad. I don't want to live in a world where a McDonald's Big Mac is indistinguishable from a regular hamburger.

These are all jokes...I like life...I can't wait to live some more. :) I know sometimes DR1 people take things too literally. Just clarifying up front. :)

Oh, and for the people on here who are not in the US...last week...they started serving Chocolate pies at Mickey D's in the US...and Chocolate Banana Shakes. The shakes are awesome, the pie...disgusting! (Meaning, it's basically the same apple pie shell, with just a bunch of chocolate inside.) I would option for a crepe with nutella instead....

:pirate:

May 29, 2006
Here is a way to make your own, if you can find apple pie filling and some 12" tortillas.

Chimichangas de Manzana (Apple Fritters) : Recipes - GourmetSleuth

It is VERY important they are well sealed. Some warm water really helps. Fry with the seal side down first.

You can also make your own filling with sliced apples and sugar and then cook it down. Slice your apples and cover with sugar. Let sit in a bowl for about a half hour to let the juices form then boil to thicken. Add corn starch slurry to thicken some more then cool before filling the tortillas.

The other thing I have done (since this is a bit of a pain) is to make ice cream boats out of flour tortillas. You deep fry 8" tortillas to make a bowl by using a ladle to hold it under the oil. Then shake the tortilla in some cinnamon sugar while still warm. Right before serving, put a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some warmed filling. Top with a little dulche de leche if desired. It will look a little like this:

399_Fried_Ice_Cream.JPG