Midwives?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
In the child support thread there is a reference to maternal and neonatal statistics re: outcomes.

It appears that the outcomes are sub-standard, according to a study that Chirimoya quotes. As it happens, I recently encountered some information on a NGO that is focused on maternity care. One of the services the NGO offers is training of midwives. I do not know, howver, if they are legally permitted to practice in the DR.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I do not believe that there are any legal CNMs in the DR. I don't believe that they are recognized here. Although the country would benefit greatly if they were.
SHALENA

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree - as in most other places there is a tradition of midwifery (parteras) where a woman in the community would adopt the role without any sort of formal medical training but as most births are now institutional (98%, according to the statistic quoted in the other thread from the ENDESA 2007 health and development survey) this is certain to have died out.

I know my mother-in-law gave birth to some of her children at home (1950s and 1960s) with the help of a partera, but you don't hear about this happening any more.

It's unfortunate that the folk midwife role has not evolved into a recognised profession as it has in the UK, for example. In DR hospitals and clinics the health professionals involved in childbirth, and pre and post-natal care are doctors, and nurses whose qualification level and role is more like that of orderlies.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Confused

I thought I posted this in the Legal section. I would like to know from Dr. Guzm?n if midwives can legally practice in the DR before I follow up with the NGO.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I asked for it to be moved to Living on the grounds that it was a health-related question. Will send it back.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Request

Dr. Guzm?n, is midwifery legal in the Dominican Republic? I am familiar with a non-governmental organization which would fund the training of midwives, but hesitate to do anything with the information until I know if it is legal here.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
I don't see anything in the Ley General de Salud 42-01 (Health Law) that would prohibit it. However, they would have to be authorized, as any other health personnel, by the Ministry of Health.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Thank you, Dr. Guzm?n. It appears that the next step is to determine what would be necessary for the Ministry of Health.

I will follow up with the Director de Salud P?blica for Puerto Plata.