Working Ban Saturday thru Monday 12pm

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any more precise details about this which was blazened across the front of DL this morning.

Taken word for word as the newspaper says, absolutely nobody is allowed to work barring public service.

En su art?culo dos, la disposici?n presidencial except?a su aplicaci?n a las entidades de servicios p?blicos (hospitales, bomberos, transportes, guardianes privados y otros similares), las cuales deber?n realizar sus labores de forma habitual.

Does this really mean that everything will be closed?

Just needing to know if I need to get to the super, the video store and send the wife to the salon today, otherwise would we wait til monday afternoon? Also will we not be able to eat out for lunch? go shopping etc?

Clarification from those in the know appreciated.

Steve

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I don't think everything will be closed, it's just so EVERYBODY can take time to GO and vote and not be held back by employers.
I would have wished the executive order would have included a drinking and arms bearing ban in the same article too.

... J-D.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I think the ban goes in effect at 6 am Saturday thru 6 pm Sunday. You can drink, the colmados can not sell.

May 29, 2006
They still have bans on selling alcohol in some areas in the US on election days, not to mention dry counties...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can work--we are taking advantage of the general stoppage to do some electrical work at a factory--you are just not OBLIGED to work, it is a holiday!

Except for certain services, of course, as named inthenews...

HB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
All my friends back in the DR are already planning of going to Resorts, wait for the sun to come out drinking, hit the beaches or small towns. Holy week all over again. I love my country!! About the drinking curfew, that doesn't matter, literally every Dominican has already stocked up on alcohol to pre-hurricane levels so no biggie :D. Liquor Stores loved this announcement.

Reactions: mike l

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
When I read this I assumed that the local clubs will be closed from 6 am Saturday to 6pm Sunday with the exception of those in tourism defined areas.

Any idea if this is correct?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hotels are able to sell to guests, but not general public. That is what a friend who owns a small hotel/bar in Maimon told me.

Also, if you have production that runs 24/7 you are exempt, you just have to pay overtime. We are business as normal.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
that does not make sense to me at all.

As I understand it - for example Playa Dorada hotels will be open as will the clubs for tourists.

Clubs in POP will be closed.

That is the question and the same applies for Santo Domingo etc etc

Anyone know???

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I want to know if Plaza Lama or Mega Centro will be open tomorrow in Santo Domingo.
Anyone hazard a guess??

It is quite critical actually.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
They will be and employees are paid as if it is a holiday - double pay........... Some stores etc will close at 1pm - holiday hours.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
booze ban

everything should be open, but won't be allowed to sell alcohol from midnight friday until 6 pm sunday according to the news.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That's if people can actually get to work even if they're supposed to be.

This evening, the road between Cabarete and Sosua was completely gridlocked due to a political rally being held at the Coastal petrol station. I actually abandoned my plans did a U turn and went back home, after moving only a few yards in half an hour.

I fear that the weekend will bring more of the same. So I would advise that one should only travel by road if absolutely necessary. Unfortunately I will be traveling back and forth to the airport all weekend to get to work!

These elections and the candidates' methods are a stark reminder that this is a third world country and will be so for a very long time!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That's if people can actually get to work even if they're supposed to be.

This evening, the road between Cabarete and Sosua was completely gridlocked due to a political rally being held at the Coastal petrol station. I actually abandoned my plans did a U turn and went back home, after moving only a few yards in half an hour.

I fear that the weekend will bring more of the same. So I would advise that one should only travel by road if absolutely necessary. Unfortunately I will be traveling back and forth to the airport all weekend to get to work!

These elections and the candidates' methods are a stark reminder that this is a third world country and will be so for a very long time!

The Caravans are over. That is what they call that. Should be ok for travel.

Reactions: Celt202

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
According to the news it all stops at midnight tonight, no more trucks blasting their noise till all hours, no more listening to those ridiculous political "songs" on the radio.

Yup over for another election. We can expect them to gear up for the next one in about what............ 3 months...;)

Nov 25, 2008
Well to start off with this is no different than any other day, Dominicans love not to work [ma?ana,ma?ana..] , so to make it a holiday makes no difference.
Only in a third world country does the government press for less work days, I guess since they do VERY little they want everyone to join the band wagon

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Funny, I called a doctor's office at Bournigal yesterday (Friday) to reschedule my appointment on that day to Monday. I was told that they weren't sure they would be working Monday... that they would NOT if the PLD wins :cheeky:.

Party dependent holidays? A new way to attract votes?

... J-D.