What is the Best Brand Washing Machine Available In Santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Looking to purchase a new washing machine here in Santiago. Been to all the usual stores and getting a different story from each one. Looked at the Samsung for 24,000 at La Serena and that looked pretty well made, Plaza Lama pushes LG and I definitely don't want a Frigidaire. So from everyones experience, what brands have you had the best usage without problems, warranty repair from what store without a hassle, you know the drill. I bought a Haier one and a half years ago and it's broke down several times, now it's deceased, so our (2 adults, 1 child) worth of dirty clothes are piling up fast.
And they are starting to stink up the house, so everyone, HELP.....:confused::confused:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would go with the American brands. I think I saw a Whirpool or the like in the new La Sirena for RD17500.

The typical one you find here has a separate compartment for spinning the clothes, which is much more work.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You can't go wrong with a Whirpool. Lots of lower income Dominicans use the Asian versions (cheaper). But the Whirpool is a workhorse (more capacity and reliability).

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
would you be wanting one that heats the water or one thats swills cold dirty water around - the first ype being more than double the other type

noni

Mar 30, 2009
Best brand ever for me is Kenmore and I am not sure they sell that here, I got my washer in the states. Have you been to Pricesmart?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See about pull outs in Florida? They work well. Cheap, like 8000 delivered door to door.
I got my fridge and washer like that.

I have used the oriental models and they do a good washing job, but you have to do some of the work.

The only model I say at PriceSmart was close to 30K!!!

HB

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Wow, 30K at Pricesmart......Better come with a great b.....b
In the past, I always bought a Whirlpool, Maytag, or Kenmore which for a long time was manufactured for Sears by Whirlpool. I saw a Samsung at La Sirena, looked extremely well made. One large compartment does it all and it was selling for 24K, still expensive, but by todays prices maybe not so. I am doing some remodeling here by an extraordinary person recommended by Chip. He really knows his stuff, and I am having a hot water line run for the washing machine, so cold and hot water. Whatever I purchase, it will need a hot and cold water inlet and adjustments for both.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Now I wonder if the one I saw in La Sirena is the real deal at less than RD18k. If I were you I'd run on over there and check it out just in case. :)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Now I wonder if the one I saw in La Sirena is the real deal at less than RD18k. If I were you I'd run on over there and check it out just in case. :)

Chip, I have to wait for Anjito and his guys to finish for the day, then I am going to the place I swore I'd never go back to...The new La Sirena

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Be careful about buying the full automatic electronic ones.

We bought a fancy LG with a digital timer, electronic control.

The problem is, when the power goes off we lose the settings and it has to start over again from the beginning.

Ours is on a circuit that is on the Inverter, so we manually put it on pause when the power goes off. BUT, after a certain time on pause, it goes off pause and we have to start it from scratch.

I did not think about that until too late.
Give me the old-fashion rotary dial control any day!

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: bienamor

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Be careful about buying the full automatic electronic ones.

We bought a fancy LG with a digital timer, electronic control.

The problem is, when the power goes off we lose the settings and it has to start over again from the beginning.

Ours is on a circuit that is on the Inverter, so we manually put it on pause when the power goes off. BUT, after a certain time on pause, it goes off pause and we have to start it from scratch.

I did not think about that until too late.
Give me the old-fashion rotary dial control any day!

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

I never would have thought of that. We have an inverter and we let our current machine that died run on the converter until it finished that load, never a problem. But, with a machine with electronics, is their a problem when it switches from household current to inverter. Will it lose the memory in that split second? We have power outages every day here, never skips a beat.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i had one for like 6 years i bought used out of the newspaper (la informacion) for RD $4000. we had it fixed once or twice but it worked great.

Nov 25, 2008
you have to watch out where the American brand is made, I've seen a lot of cheap material put into the "American brands"
also sometimes Plaza Lama and others buys these so called American brand, but their just that cheap Made in China brand with a logo slapped on them
purchased a Magic Chef 12 years ago, fridge, washer, stove, never has a problem, BUT it was purchased from the states

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought Whirlpool Duet front loader washer & dryer set a couple of years ago - in NJ. All electronic everything. When they were just about 2 months old we had a very rare power failure while the washer was running - the power came right back on, and it fried the electronic panel in that second. It was still under warranty and Sears came right out and replaced the board - the serviceman told me it would have cost us over $600 if it wasn't in warranty. Can you even imagine having a machine like that in DR with the on-again-off-again electricity?

Not.

AE

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
We bought Whirlpool Duet front loader washer & dryer set a couple of years ago - in NJ. All electronic everything. When they were just about 2 months old we had a very rare power failure while the washer was running - the power came right back on, and it fried the electronic panel in that second. It was still under warranty and Sears came right out and replaced the board - the serviceman told me it would have cost us over $600 if it wasn't in warranty. Can you even imagine having a machine like that in DR with the on-again-off-again electricity?

Not.

AE

Sold, NO NO NO Electronic washing machine for me.
Dials Alltheway 4 Waytogo....A whole lot cheaper to.