Beer and People Watching in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoTom

Apr 15, 2010
I have been to Sosua and Cabarate a couple times. During my next visit (in June) I would like to spend a half day in Puerto Plata. I am interested in finding a location to people watch and drink a few Presidente's (non tourist areas). I have been considering being dropped off at Parque Central. Is this a good location? Does anyone have any recommendations for spending a 1/2 day in Puerto Plata?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I have been to Sosua and Cabarate a couple times. During my next visit (in June) I would like to spend a half day in Puerto Plata. I am interested in finding a location to people watch and drink a few Presidente's (non tourist areas). I have been considering being dropped off at Parque Central. Is this a good location? Does anyone have any recommendations for spending a 1/2 day in Puerto Plata?

Go to the malecon in the afternoon...sit in a bar close to where the kiters are. Watersports and people watching in one. GL

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I agree, there really isn't anywhere to drink beer and people watch around Parque Central but I have often sat on the Malecon and done just that. Either in one of the little bars dotted all along or sometimes just sitting on the wall and buying cold ones from the colmado over the road. Delicous!

Rio

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are lots of little booths along the malecon for drink, sams bar for a more rustic experience or tam tams

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Parque Central is a good start. You can easily walk a few blocks from there to the Malecon which, in my opinion, is the best place to people watch in POP. There are benches all the way along the Malecon and you can just sit there for hours with the beautiful breeze and watch as people, vendors, dogs, cars, etc. go by.

Long Beach is also on the Malecon so if you sit near there, you can watch the comings and goings of the beach as well as what is going on on the boulevard. You can buy beer cheap from vendors or colmados all along the Malecon. Juice vendors also walk up and down if you prefer some jugos naturales. I also love getting oysters from the guys walking up and down, although I know some will say to never buy seafood from street vendors.

ChicagoTom

Apr 15, 2010
Thank-you

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will spend some time on the malecon.

BTW, if the Chicago Blackhawks win hockey's Stanley Cup this year, I will buys drinks in Sosua for any interested DR1 contributors!!! Details will follow after the Stanley Cup finals .....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will spend some time on the malecon.

BTW, if the Chicago Blackhawks win hockey's Stanley Cup this year, I will buys drinks in Sosua for any interested DR1 contributors!!! Details will follow after the Stanley Cup finals .....
Hope you're disapointed. Montreal need to win it for the hat trick. Football. Football and Stanley Cup.

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
It would be nice to see a Montreal - Chicago final - original 6. Almost had Boston and Detroit in the mix but alas they are gone.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
I'm a Canucks fan so I'm still crying in my own beer. <sigh> Hope your guys beat the Sharks but if the Canadiens make it to the final I'm with them. Wish I was down there to collect on the possible free beer though. Maybe in July!

Reactions: mike l

ChicagoTom

Apr 15, 2010
After tonight's loss, who knows, LOL

You might want that free beer to help you forget. :cheeky: But hang in there, it is not over until Philly gets four. I would still love to see and Chicago vs. Montreal Stanley Cup. Either way hockey is a great sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.