las ca?as dining experience - must try harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
we dined at las ca?as in la mulata last night and found that it wasnt a fabulous experience, which is a pity because the surroundings and staff were very pleasant.

Presentation of the food and the food itself was distinctly underwhelming, considering it was recently taken over by new owners.

It is not going to attract regular diners with what it has to offer and will limp along to a quick death if it has to rely the holiday crowd- must try harder

Mar 1, 2009
Where is this place, I want to go there, dying to go if I can have a different dining experience. I guess your not recommending it?

Mar 2, 2008
jr, although you were not directing your question to me, I would want to know more specifics about how and why this particular restaurant is sub-par.

I have seen nothing about price/value, nothing about specific items on the menu, nothing other than your perception of what "wasnt a fabulous experience".

Look, we all understand that you have high standards, but we really need more specific information if we are to make up our own minds about this establishment, personal preferences aside.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
The price was in the reasonable range 3-400 , but the presention of the meal was very bad , mine had no veg or salad so was just a brown mass on a small plate...the meat seemed like it had been microwaved several times .
I beleive the soup was nice , but i didnt have any of that, it was all very tasteless like eating cardboard covered in partially cooked onions.

I only say this in a helpful way so that they can review the way they present and cook things... and I would be prepared to try it again if someone gives a positive review in the future

oh the menu was quite badly written as well ie didnt say what the meal came with, not a lot as it happens

noni

Mar 30, 2009
uncooked food

I stayed at the Canas two weekends ago, the place is beautiful and customer service was great. But the restaurant sucks, my daughter and I ordered a pizza, it took them 45mins and the pizza dough arrived uncooked...an hour later starving and tired we both had one piece and called it a day.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
If that would indeed be how it's now, that would be sad.
When Judy was managing the place she had somebody doing "German" and "Int'l" cuisine. We ate there 2 or 3 times... -that's about a year ago- prices were in the 200 to 300 Peso range... and it was well presented, good and plentiful. Paired with the setting, the beautiful cana roof, the litup huge pool and the quietness, it had a lot going for itself and I thought it would develop into something people would flock to.

... J-D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If that would indeed be how it's now, that would be sad.
When Judy was managing the place she had somebody doing "German" and "Int'l" cuisine. We ate there 2 or 3 times... -that's about a year ago- prices were in the 200 to 300 Peso range... and it was well presented, good and plentiful. Paired with the setting, the beautiful cana roof, the litup huge pool and the quietness, it had a lot going for itself and I thought it would develop into something people would flock to.

... J-D.

The same chef is still cooking from the time Judy was there. And the same owners.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
There just isn't enough sustainable business too justify a restaurant at las Canas so it's like beating a dead horse.

The pool is great but the residents cook inside their units as that's why they rented and or bought them with cooking facilities as opposed to staying in a hotel

I have to laugh at their real estate ads wheryby a condo is now $75k when 2 years ago it was $50k and nothing is selling.

Not even the food at the restaurant is selling!

Reactions: Tamborista
Mar 1, 2009
Hey Whirley:)
What I really meant to state was that I was dying to enjoy somewhere I could experience something new. I did understand that it was a bad review.
I went to Casa de Campo last weekend and I had Chillo con yuca, the sauce was great and the chillo-yuca was fantastic OMG, good presentation. If I go to the north coast I want something like that. I've gone to La Romana plenty of times, I'd like to see other parts of the country so therefore my query.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hey Whirley:)
What I really meant to state was that I was dying to enjoy somewhere I could experience something new. I did understand that it was a bad review.
I went to Casa de Campo last weekend and I had Chillo con yuca, the sauce was great and the chillo-yuca was fantastic OMG, good presentation. If I go to the north coast I want something like that. I've gone to La Romana plenty of times, I'd like to see other parts of the country so therefore my query.

Then you have to visit La Casita de Papi on Cabarete beach - best shrimps ever

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
There just isn't enough sustainable business too justify a restaurant at las Canas so it's like beating a dead horse.

The pool is great but the residents cook inside their units as that's why they rented and or bought them with cooking facilities as opposed to staying in a hotel

I have to laugh at their real estate ads wheryby a condo is now $75k when 2 years ago it was $50k and nothing is selling.
Not even the food at the restaurant is selling!

Mike I'm sure you've heard of the word "over valued" in this country.
Or maybe that’s two words?:cheeky:

BermudaRum

Reactions: mike l

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I agree, always go there at least once per trip for the shrimps. Someone told me told that it was closed down. Can anyone confirm this?

Was closed for 2 weeks holiday.... due to re-open today is what it says on the sign on the door. I understand that this restaurant is never left in the care of others when the owner has to be away and perhaps that is how it is always able to be relied upon for excellent food and service.

Status
Not open for further replies.