Santiago to El Cafeto and back-interesting

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Because a very good friend is here and he is in Gaspar Hernandez and I am in Santiago, we decided to meet at El Cafeto up on the hill north of Moca.

I took the "old" road from Santiago->Tamborio->Canca->etc-> San Victor. I found it is just in so-so condition, but they have fixed the bridge in Canca, so it is a straight run. Just a couple of speed bumps in front of a school, well marked. Traffic was the only issue.

They have built a new Police Station in San Victor, replacing the old, green wooden structure with a nice, new, yellow, 2 story building, well marked.

The road up the mountain is deteriorating fairly fast. True, I have not gone that way in some time, but the shifts in the highway are VERY noticeable and can really cause havoc if you are not careful. The mountain is truly sliding away.

The meeting was wonderful, a couple of hours of really intelligent converstation together with a couple of good cigars, coffee, appetizers and soft drinks. The view was, as always, outstanding. For those that don't know or haven't stopped there, this is the place above the old Molino--which is now under their third owners--and has been in the same family ever since it was built. The daughter was a student of mine ten years ago and always asked me to stop by. Took me ten years...oh well, it was worth it.

Anyway, on the way back, I decided to avoid the Tamboril route and go left in San Victor (BTW, there is now a HUGE NATIVA gas station right at the crossroads, so nobody should ever again miss the turn!!). The road is newly paved and very nice all the way to the intersection with the old Duarte Highway that connects Moca with Santiago.

Oh Schitt!! There is 10 kilometers of really, really nasty potholed roadway, all the way through Licey al Medio. I mean nasty low speed, first or second gear travel...They are fixing up the highway and when it is done it will be enjoyable by until then, avoid it like the plague!

All told, an interesting run: Stgo to El Cafeto by way of Tamboril and Canca is fine. The mountain road is going downhill but quite passable. The road from Moca to Santiago is the pits, really schitty, and to be avoided.

So there you have it. It seems like in a few months the only decent road between the North and the Cibao will be the tunnel route and its big trucks..Sort of sucs if you care for my opinion...

HB...resting