El puerco es del lodo...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If you bring your Dominican spouse to the EU,US,Canada or wherever in the civilized world don't be surprised to listen him or she talking about how good life is in the DR no matter all the social,politic,education or economic problems in DR it will take time before his mind changes....
Look my case for example I'm still complaining of how bored is the city where I live but when I watch a video about the Dominican reality I can see the big difference and the privilege of living in developed country.

Watch this video of my house's surrounding areas:

YouTube - CLIP0004.AVI

My grandfather was right when he said the pig belongs to the mud...

JJ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
D@mn!! All that traffic, all those motores, where are they?? Not one little bump. If you read a post I put up this afternoon...jejeje, the road from Licey al Medio to Moca is just one big hoyo!!.....

Beautiful country is North Carolina...

HB

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Yes it is very different here you see the road where I started my run it was paved two weeks ago but it was in better shape than the Av. 27 de Febrero in Santiago, the traffic is no bad here in this town and the pride of the folks here is that they built the city inside the oaks and the pain trees. The forest is green, some time when I open the windows of my house in the mornings I can see the deers and the the rabbits and the armadillos in my backyard.

Aqui solamente hace falta un colmado pa' jugar domino y beber presidente afuera en la acera. :cheeky:

haha

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yes it's all nice and organized and clean and manicured lawns and...boring. Just look at all those cookie cutter houses, devoid of any color (cause god forbid you decide you want to paint your house a color different than beige, white or some other drab color). You may have a nice porch, but you can't sit on that porch and have a beer without getting a citation. This is why we miss The DR...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is a genuine question because it is 46 years since I lived in the US: is that really so? You can't sit on the porch of your own home & have a beer??? Why ever not?

It's illegal to have open container with alcohol outside...so yes you can get a ticket or even worse if the cop decides to be a prick about it. I'm talking about your front porch though as nobody would see you in a back porch...Not to say people don't do it anyway.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's illegal to have open container with alcohol outside...so yes you can get a ticket or even worse if the cop decides to be a prick about it. I'm talking about your front porch though as nobody would see you in a back porch...Not to say people don't do it anyway.

You can't get a ticket on private property, especially your own, what are you talking about?

In NYC you can still walk around and drink a beer in a paper bag, as long as it is not a parade or organized event...not that I would ever do that, I prefer nutcrackers... jaja.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
In Las Vegas the only place in which you can have open alcohol-containers is in the strip (Las Vegas boulevard where all the big hotels are). Other than that it is illegal to have a beer on the streets. I don't know about open spaces in private property like the front porch though...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Omg

You can't get a ticket on private property, especially your own, what are you talking about?

In NYC you can still walk around and drink a beer in a paper bag, as long as it is not a parade or organized event...not that I would ever do that, I prefer nutcrackers... jaja.

i nearly fell off my seat reading the nutcracker comment! LOL :cheeky:
personally....yeah i prefer those too! LOL
good one Tambo :bunny:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
(Not that I would know ;) )but Maine is like the DR, due to lack of enforcement, you can do whatever you want in the countryside. Lambada come drink your open container on my porch.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is a genuine question because it is 46 years since I lived in the US: is that really so? You can't sit on the porch of your own home & have a beer??? Why ever not?

Ginnie, I live at the Jersey Shore where just about every house was built in the early 1900s and we all have giant front porches. I've been in this house since 1983, and there is such law here, believe me.

Even in Ocean City, NJ, which is the next island over from mine, and is a "dry" town [no liquor sold or served there in 'establishments'] you can drink to your hearts content on your front porch.

AE

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
they have that theoretical law in parts of the uk - its just a question of not knowing when its going to be implemented....you cant smoke outside in parts of Australia lol you have to cross the street away from outside diners

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ginnie, I live at the Jersey Shore where just about every house was built in the early 1900s and we all have giant front porches. I've been in this house since 1983, and there is NO such law here, believe me.

Even in Ocean City, NJ, which is the next island over from mine, and is a "dry" town [no liquor sold or served there in 'establishments'] you can drink to your hearts content on your front porch.

AE

Duh...sorry

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well the fact that people still do it and most times get away with it doesn't mean it's not illegal. You cannot have open container with alcohol even in the front of your own house (at least in Michigan and many other states I've visited). The point I was trying to make is that while The US is clean, organized, beautifully manicured, etc...there are not a lot of freedoms here. Everything (your life) is controlled and micro-managed by a huge amount of laws that penalize you for the littlest things, thus those of us who grew up in The DR may like the modernity of The US, but always miss those freedoms from The DR.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks to all who answered my question - Grace, MaineGirl, Tambo etc. Yes, suarezn, I have no doubts whatsoever about the comparative freedoms of the DR - I notice this when I visit (rarely!) my country of origin, the UK, and I have no doubts at all as to where I would rather be living :).

It just struck me that IF one couldn't have a beer on the porch of one's own home, what would be next.........prohibition on passing wind? I don't actually drink but I do from time to time suffer from..................;)

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
There are some exceptions...

I live in an unincorporated area just outside the city limits and because of that I can legally: shoot(shotgun, 22, bow and arrow etc.) the rabbits:bunny:and squirrels that come to eat in my vegetable garden, drink beer or whatever outside my house and hold loud parties (live bands) until someone complains (usually never) around 2 a.m., build permanent structures on my property without building permits, park 10 or more vehicles in various stages of disrepair on the road in front of house (neighbors doing that right now) and not have them towed, have a flock of chickens and 8 roosters crowing at all times of the day!:laugh:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Hey Luis, check this video from a different angle.

YouTube - CLIP0007.AVI

If you come to visit North Carolina there is a room available for you in my house just let me know.

JJ

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If you bring your Dominican spouse to the EU,US,Canada or wherever in the civilized world don't be surprised to listen him or she talking about how good life is in the DR no matter all the social,politic,education or economic problems in DR it will take time before his mind changes....
Look my case for example I'm still complaining of how bored is the city where I live but when I watch a video about the Dominican reality I can see the big difference and the privilege of living in developed country.

Watch this video of my house's surrounding areas:

YouTube - CLIP0004.AVI

My grandfather was right when he said the pig belongs to the mud...

JJ

So does the same apply to the expats who come to the DR and then bitch about how much better it was at home? About how much better it was back "there" even though you cannot make as much noise as you want, cannot afford that "home" over looking the ocean, cannot drink when and where you want, and of course would never attract a 22 year old looker from "there" etc etc etc

So was your grandfather right when he said the pig belongs to the mud...

:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Cien Fuego

May 14, 2010

If the police are such a problem, then I think most people would pour there beer into a glass, or a frosted mug, or better yet in vasitos.