Divorce question

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
Are divorces done in the USA valid in DR?

For example, If a US citizen woman marries a Dominican man in the DR, then files for divorce in the US.

Reactions: mike l

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Marriages and divorces are accepted internationally provided no rules of public order are violated.

For example, the DR will recognize marriages done anywhere in the world between consenting persons of opposite sexes, but it won't recognize a marriage between persons of the same sex or a polygamous marriage because these they violate what is considered a rule of public order in the jurisdiction.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
For example, If a US citizen woman marries a Dominican man in the DR, then files for divorce in the US.

In your example above you seem to state that you re-married in the DR while still legally married to your "former" husband, THEN you filed for divorce in the states.

Appears to be a polygamous marriage because a valid marriage still existed, therefore violating the above rule of public order...:paranoid:

Doesn't it go marriage, divorce, then remarried- in that order?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In your example above you seem to state that you re-married in the DR while still legally married to your "former" husband, THEN you filed for divorce in the states.

Appears to be a polygamous marriage because you a valid marriage still existed, therefore violating the above rule of public order...:paranoid:
I'm not sure how you determined the above. She clearly states they got married in the DR. She DOESN'T WANT TO RETURN TO THE DR TO GET DIVORCED.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Appears to be a polygamous marriage because a valid marriage still existed, therefore violating the above rule of public order...:paranoid:

Doesn't it go marriage, divorce, then remarried- in that order?

I have to go with Bob on this one. No idea how you came to that conclusion.

An American citizen married a Dominican man in the DR, jata, jata, jata she then filed for a divorce and is asking if the divorce is recognized in the DR.

Happens often!;)

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
How? Quote (she said): "For example, If a US citizen woman marries a Dominican man in the DR, then files for divorce in the US."

(1) Her statement infers that she got married in the DR. Got it.
(2) "THEN"- defined as: next in time, space, or order; afterward- pursued a divorce from her "former" husband.

I am not questioning where or what she did, just the order in that it was legally accomplished.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How? Quote (she said): "For example, If a US citizen woman marries a Dominican man in the DR, then files for divorce in the US."

(1) Her statement infers that she got married in the DR. Got it.
(2) "THEN"- defined as: next in time, space, or order; afterward- pursued a divorce from her "former" husband.

I am not questioning where or what she did, just the order in that it was legally accomplished.

Exactly first marriage, THEN after, a divorce. There is no confusion.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I was assuming she was married before she married the Dominican man. Here I go reading into things again- my mistake. I go sit in my corner now.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I was assuming she was married before she married the Dominican man

I go sit in my corner now.

You know what they say about assuming right? :cheeky:

Don't worry, I've done it many times myself. Assuming that is

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
it's complicated

Back to the topic, the marriage (Dominican) must be filed within a family court jurisdiction in the home country or it never happened. It's not like a Las Vegas wedding where there's an automatic filing for Clark County and when the habgover's gone there's undoing to do. Divorces are even more difficult. Not all States in the US will register a Dominican divorce once the marriage has been recorded in that State.

Speak with three different attorneys in three different States (I have) and you'll get three different answers (I have).

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i can't talk for the US, but for Germany.
if a german marries a dominican citizen here in the DR, to get that marriage legally recognized in Germany it is necessary to file the records theer, in Germany. not a complicated process, nothing of a hassle, but it needs to be done.
if not done would mean that the german citizen is by german law not married, and for that could not get divorced in germany neither.
i remember from far away there been also some ruling that the german citizen has to report his/her marriage, with whom ever and where ever on the globe, within a specific timeperiod after such foreign marriage, but what really happens if refused to do so, i have no clue.
Mike

motor275

Jul 11, 2010
Dominican Divorce

What is the time length and cost for a Dominican divorcing a Dominican in the DR ?