Are there any get-together's for Newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Hi All! :bunny:

Well Tina & I are here! We are settled in a great apartment here in Cabarete thanks to a kind recommendation from a DR1 poster! We have been ripped off by a local wide-boy who charged us 3000 pesos to drive us around one afternoon to "look for a villa" but which was actually a session of meeting his family and giving lifts to various of his "brothers and sisters". We have been charged 300 pesos for sitting at a table on the beach one afternoon for a quick Coke which was free the evening before! We have taken a taxi to look at a place in Costambar (before we found this one) and after getting the price down from $120US to $50, we spent more time refusing to look at gift shops and cigar factories than the journey took! We have taken a "bus" to Sosua to the big supermarket we saw there (I counted 23 people, excluding the driver on it at one point) and spent 5000 pesos there, only to find our local "Janet's", just around the corner, is MUCH cheaper! We were offered a rental car (heap of junk) for $1500US for a month and finally got a beaten up Corolla for $475! Tina has found BIG bottles of water for the price we paid for a tiny one and I've discovered the art of making proper Pina Colada's (chuck some stuff in, add cream and at least 2 bottles of rum!). We drove to Santiago (because it's there! - stupid question) using a map we bought locally for 375 pesos and found it took us nearly two hours to get there in the rain because of the state of the roads, the town too confusing to actually stop anywhere and nearly five hours to get back because of the lack of signposts and the endless election parades we got stuck in (often the same one several times from several different directions!). Tina and I are JUST about talking again (why can't women navigate????) and I have a few words to say to the chap who sold me the satnav card that he said works in the Caribbean when I get back to the UK!
Are we living the Dominican life yet????:cheeky:
So, now we're settled, we found we had no internet connection except for an unsecured one which was only on part of the day. We asked around and a German chap said it was his and he would leave it on all day for us. I offered him something towards the price, but he wouldn't hear of it! 300 pesos to sit in a grubby plastic chair for 5 minutes and then free internet - I guess it takes all sorts all over the world!
To my question - We'd love to meet up with some of you ex-pats over here to pick your brains and we're mobile, given a rusty Toyota and providing you give us FULL directions of where to find you (or the name of a good divorce lawyer PM'd directly to ME). Are there ever any get-together's on the north coast? It would be nice to meet with a few other Newbies and less intimidating than just you long-established, mega experienced guys?
If not, (and there should be, so when I'm established, I'll start some), would any of you care to meet up with a pair of barely-speaking-to-each-other-without-a-satnav plonkers like us??? Please PM me - have rust bucket, will travel......?
Oh, and now the cynics amongst you can rip all this apart to your heart's content - we're HERE and LURVING it!

Mar 1, 2009
Oh wow you are funny. I hope that you and Mrs Robinson endure and that you may enjoy your life on this new island you call home, since you came from another prior to this one. If I am around I would love to go to a get together!!!

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
I admire you for tackling driving in the DR so soon after arrival, I am sure you are aware of the pitfalls of being involved in an accident, from a mere fenderbender to more serious, with injuries (perceived or not). Make sure you have full insurance, and also get to know the other local transportation options for getting around.
I do not intend to be in DR North coast for a few months, but if you are still there, divorced or not, I am sure we could arrange to meet up with you both.
Hang in there, its a different experience every day

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Colin,
Welcome to Cabarete...

Suggestion - keep a journal and write in it daily.
You'll look back on it fondly in the future & if you continue to write so entertainingly you just might have a bestseller.

Again, welcome.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Colin,
Welcome to Cabarete...

Suggestion - keep a journal and write in it daily.
You'll look back on it fondly in the future & if you continue to write so entertainingly you just might have a bestseller.

Again, welcome.

Agree, I would thing a blog would even be a better idea.
So that people like me could follow :bunny:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Brightening up my Monday morning

What a great post - very truthful, entertaining and boy does it strike a chord!
It is so refreshing to read an honest account of your trials and tribulations as you get to grips with the different lifestyle. I am also relieved that as yet you haven't had any bashing or sermons from the "experts". If you do, get the pinch of salt ready....;)

I am sure that once you meet up with a few of the local expats you will feel even more at home, they are a good bunch out there on the North Coast. :cheeky:

Keep writing, it is a real hoot and sitting here in Yorkshire, UK it is almost like experiencing it for myself, all over again.

My very best wishes to you both and Good Luck

Rio

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Wow ... Welcome to the DR. There is a lot of trial and ERROR here to be sure. We have been here for 4 years and have not looked back for a second.

PM me if you have specific questions. and good luck

Bob K

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think we did the same trip to santiago the first time - straight in and out lol
Its a lot less daunting the second time

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: navbar_link --> Are there any get-together's for Newbies?

From what I see and hear, there are some friendships that form over time. Some last, others don't.

There are and have been some "associations" geared towards expat residents and "newbies"... some of which turned out to be spin offs of the sales efforts of a real estate company or agent or some other MLM-minded genius.
As Chuck Berry is known to say: "You know, they come, they go... only Rock'n'Roll stays! ;) " :bunny:

Anyways, it's quite a wild bunch which comes ashore on that island... so, it would seem difficult to unite them all in one group.

Welcome to the North Coast, btw.

... J-D.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi All! :bunny:

Well Tina & I are here! We are settled in a great apartment here in Cabarete thanks to a kind recommendation from a DR1 poster! We have been ripped off by a local wide-boy who charged us 3000 pesos to drive us around one afternoon to "look for a villa" but which was actually a session of meeting his family and giving lifts to various of his "brothers and sisters". We have been charged 300 pesos for sitting at a table on the beach one afternoon for a quick Coke which was free the evening before! We have taken a taxi to look at a place in Costambar (before we found this one) and after getting the price down from $120US to $50, we spent more time refusing to look at gift shops and cigar factories than the journey took! We have taken a "bus" to Sosua to the big supermarket we saw there (I counted 23 people, excluding the driver on it at one point) and spent 5000 pesos there, only to find our local "Janet's", just around the corner, is MUCH cheaper! We were offered a rental car (heap of junk) for $1500US for a month and finally got a beaten up Corolla for $475! Tina has found BIG bottles of water for the price we paid for a tiny one and I've discovered the art of making proper Pina Colada's (chuck some stuff in, add cream and at least 2 bottles of rum!). We drove to Santiago (because it's there! - stupid question) using a map we bought locally for 375 pesos and found it took us nearly two hours to get there in the rain because of the state of the roads, the town too confusing to actually stop anywhere and nearly five hours to get back because of the lack of signposts and the endless election parades we got stuck in (often the same one several times from several different directions!). Tina and I are JUST about talking again (why can't women navigate????) and I have a few words to say to the chap who sold me the satnav card that he said works in the Caribbean when I get back to the UK!
Are we living the Dominican life yet????:cheeky:
So, now we're settled, we found we had no internet connection except for an unsecured one which was only on part of the day. We asked around and a German chap said it was his and he would leave it on all day for us. I offered him something towards the price, but he wouldn't hear of it! 300 pesos to sit in a grubby plastic chair for 5 minutes and then free internet - I guess it takes all sorts all over the world!
To my question - We'd love to meet up with some of you ex-pats over here to pick your brains and we're mobile, given a rusty Toyota and providing you give us FULL directions of where to find you (or the name of a good divorce lawyer PM'd directly to ME). Are there ever any get-together's on the north coast? It would be nice to meet with a few other Newbies and less intimidating than just you long-established, mega experienced guys?
If not, (and there should be, so when I'm established, I'll start some), would any of you care to meet up with a pair of barely-speaking-to-each-other-without-a-satnav plonkers like us??? Please PM me - have rust bucket, will travel......?
Oh, and now the cynics amongst you can rip all this apart to your heart's content - we're HERE and LURVING it!

How about lunch on Wednesday (19th) somewhere in Cabarete?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Are you hoping some of their good luck will rub off on you WB? LOL :bunny:

Just kidding guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, lol. Having said that, you can join us for lunch on Wednesday if you wish!!! All Brits together would be good, whahahahahahaha x

Status
Not open for further replies.