Price markups on American Products

rob88

May 16, 2010
I've heard that American products in DR are marked up by %50-%200. If so what products demand such high prices over there?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
all of them. pressing iron, hammers, shoes, electronics, name brand things(whatever it is), etc., whatever. There is a cost markup for importation but also because of quality. Americans items are higher in quality, even the bargain basement stuff. General goods here are like factory 2nds or below.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Even though the mark-up is considerable it seems like even a lot of the American products sent here are of second quality.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Even though the mark-up is considerable it seems like even a lot of the American products sent here are of second quality.
Especially Fords, Chevys and Chryslers...:cheeky:

(j/k)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
A few points. There are very few electronic items that are from the US. Virtually all electronics are manufactured in Asia.

Absolutely not.

Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Amana, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Motorola, RCA, Black & Decker and thousands of other manufacturers are still alive and prospering in the USA and Canada.

Here's a list of just a few non import US and CA appliances and before anyone opines that they don't count, once they put a microprocessor in it, it's electronic.

Appliance Manufacturers Directory of Manufacturing Companies - The Home Improvement Web Directory

Asia isn't the land of electronic innovation. It's the land of cheap manufacturing and purchased patent lisences. Most of the premier electronic components and appliances (commercial and consumer) are invented and prototyped here and copied there. That's not to say that some of the modular assembly isn't farmed out to overseas partners but most PCB assembly is done using robotics now and labor costs don't factor as much as they did 20-50 years ago.

Where can I find statistical information on the current demand for laptops/desktop computers in the Dominican Republic

Are larger companies switching over from PC to Mac (design companies, etc) or is it still way too expensive?

From speaking with my brothers in Santiago I know that buying a laptop is much more expensive than getting a desktop computer and that Dell and Sony are the most popular brands. I understand why getting a laptop would be a better idea than a desktop considering the electricity is out for half of the day ;)

Wondering if there is any money in selling laptops (PC or Mac) to businesses at discounted prices. I receive discounts on electronics (laptops, Apple products, etc) because of the industry I work in...so I'm wondering if this is worth pursuing.

My family/friends in DR own businesses in DR that do not demand this type of technology ( coffee, fruit, etc) so I do not know much about the demand.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Many folks feel Pricesmart is expensive. You can purchase with the confidence you are not getting knockoffs. Trojan reds were the same or cheaper than other places and come with a 2 yr guarantee. Much of the

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
If you are talking about 1 or 2 laptops then bring down good quality at good prices and you will make yourself some money.

If you are talking about opening a business, getting licensed, legally importing and selling then you will have a lot of hassles. From the O/H of business, taxes and shipping, honoring guarantees etc.

Not a good idea unless you have really done your homework!

Great advice.

My thought was to just ask friends/ business owners that I know if they need a laptop themselves. Then draft up an agreement (minimal) for both of us to sign, they put down a deposit and pay the balance once I bring it down with me.(2-4 at a time max).

Will hold off for now though, just a thought.