need to know how much of hold do they place on rental car

migvr6

Nov 29, 2005
i have a reservation for budget rent a car for next week for 4 days.i paid for it on orbitz.

but i`m college student with with low limit credit cards with only 700 limit us.
can i use debit card so they can place hold?

need to know what kinda hold they place on the cc card.usually in the us they place 300-400$ hold on the card.

thank you for any help. just dont wana get stuck
by way i`m going to see my grandmother in bani.she is very sick

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What rental company did you rent from. Did you pay in full with Orbitz or just made a reservation using Orbitz?

You should also send an email to the rental company you will be using. It would not hurt to have something in writing from the main office.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I paid in full on orbitz.
What rental company? Alamo usually puts a $1000US hold on a credit card. As I mentioned before send the rental company an email. If you take the rental companies full insurance they may put a smaller hold on your CC. It would be much easier to get this resolved before you step up to the counter.

migvr6

Nov 29, 2005
there mixed reviews on here about rental car company.

i made reservation with budget.

national has best reviews but there prices are very high compared to other agencys.

36,000 rd hold is insane. about 1000$us:bored:

migvr6

Nov 29, 2005
budget told me over the phone they wont place more than 300$us hold on my cc.

if i pay for the insurance that i will do anyway. plus the charge of rental which will be prepaid anyway.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
there mixed reviews on here about rental car company.

i made reservation with budget.

national has best reviews but there prices are very high compared to other agencys.

36,000 rd hold is insane. about 1000$us:bored:

The 1,000$US hold was because I used my credit card for CDW. If you pay for CDW provided by the rental agency the hold is much less.

I would trust Budget's word that they will only put a $300 hold if you pay for their full insurance.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
there mixed reviews on here about rental car company..........
At one time or another I have rented from all of the major companies. They are pretty much the same. Check the vehicle and have them mark down every scratch, ding, and bing before you drive off the lot. Try not to rent the economy car as they are just toooooo small. One step higher to rent a compact is a big improvement for a few extra dollars.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
At one time or another I have rented from all of the major companies. They are pretty much the same. Check the vehicle and have them mark down every scratch, ding, and bing before you drive off the lot. Try not to rent the economy car as they are just toooooo small. One step higher to rent a compact is a big improvement for a few extra dollars.

Sound advice!!!!!!!

May 5, 2007

National and Alamo I have had good luck with, AVIS, stay away

I was in Santiago for 3 days last week and got stuck with Avis, this time I had the "agent" stand by car while I took digital picture and then closely took pictures of each and every foolish panel, Avis really sucks

You really do need to find out the hold ahead of time as they will charge you for some of the strangest things ":Cleaning because you left a magazine in car, scuff on tire, "engine running rough" windshield wiper wear???/ Avis is just plain Bad in DR, excellent in every other country I have used them in, but the Offices in SDQ and STI I would be very weary of