Premium Dog Food in the D.R. !

Mannyb

Sep 1, 2007
Hi to all,
Most Dominicans don't feed their dogs high quality dog food "probably because of high cost of Premium dog food or availability issues " Are their any Pet stores in Santo Domingo or the D.R. that sell Premium dog foods ?
Max, the german sheperd pup
thx,,,

Reactions: mike l

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Some of us go to the Supermercado and buy "Comida para Perro" at the meat counter.
It's very cheap and is the scrap from the meat cuttings.

Like perhaps 6 pesos +/- a pound.
My wife mixes it with some kind of "corn meal?" to complete it for the dog.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Opinions vary as to what constitutes "premium."

We feed our dogs Purina Dog Chow, RD$1475/44 lb. bag from PriceSmart.

I looked into Eukanuba once: RD$2950 for 44lbs from a pet store.:paranoid:

belgiank has a line on some dog food, but I forget the brand and price.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We feed Alican and all the dogs do well on it - cheapest available in this area is at Sabaneta supermarket at RD$ 875 for 40 lbs.

Mannyb

Sep 1, 2007
If you read and research the internet for Premium dog foods, Purina and Eukanuba are rated as the worst dog foods! Eukanuba is corn with a scent of meat.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Well then if you go to Americana and specially Rinconada, you will find what you want or at the vet stores but you will pay extra.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mannyb, my dear fellow, don't you just look like a fake account created in order to advertise something? first a question, then a note that all our suggestions are bad and what will come next? a link to fantastic food/pet store you have just found?
we have a big dog. she gets any food brought by our vet: for some time it was arkat and lately it's eucanuba. she's fine: big, healthy and very energetic. but she'd probably eat gravel if it was covered in grease. i see no need for some fancy, expensive dog food for... well... essentially... - a dog. they ain't exactly sensitive new born humans with food allergies, you know.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Royal Canin is available, so is Science Diet. About 1400 pesos/40 lb bag

When the price tag gets too high, you can mix it with the less costly brands.

Puppyhood is the important time to go with the high quality foods.... then back off a bit, if you must.

WW

Reactions: mike l

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I repeat, Alican is good and not too expensive, dogs do well on it... we only have 9 now and they all look and feel well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I repeat, Alican is good and not too expensive, dogs do well on it... we only have 9 now and they all look and feel well.

You may be right.
My experience is ... that with a higher quality food, you need less of it, so the cost disadvantage works down.
Yes, I mix the Alican with the Royal Canin for the adult dogs and all is well.

That was the original Science Diet claim.... the dog produced less waste to clean up.
Not sure that part was accurate :))

Always too much!!

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Opinions vary as to what constitutes "premium."

We feed our dogs Purina Dog Chow, RD$1475/44 lb. bag from PriceSmart.

I looked into Eukanuba once: RD$2950 for 44lbs from a pet store.:paranoid:

belgiank has a line on some dog food, but I forget the brand and price.

We used to feed RC but swithed recently to Allican and all our dogs are doing very well on it.
I don't look to the label premium food very much, I look at the back what is actually inside the kibbles and thats whats interest me more.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You may be right.
My experience is ... that with a higher quality food, you need less of it, so the cost disadvantage works down.
Yes, I mix the Alican with the Royal Canin for the adult dogs and all is well.

That was the original Science Diet claim.... the dog produced less waste to clean up.
Not sure that part was accurate :))

Always too much!!

WW

You're absolutely right about a higher premium food, you need to give lesser in general but that doesn't automatically goes for every dog.
Mixing kibbles of different brand and/or quality I would not suggest to do, better is to give your dog a day per week some fresh meat like hart, liver or a whole raw chicken, better for their disgestive system.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Royal Canin is available, so is Science Diet. About 1400 pesos/40 lb bag

When the price tag gets too high, you can mix it with the less costly brands.

Puppyhood is the important time to go with the high quality foods.... then back off a bit, if you must.

WW

I find most puppy foods whatever brand these day's to heavy loaded with all kinds of so called good stuff for a puppy.
I feed these day's puppy food for a pup until they are 3 months old, older then that on puppy food gives only problems such as too rapid growing with growing pains to go with that (sometimes severe), pup is quit out of proportion with his back higher then the rest. Nope, not for my dogs, 3 or 4 months is enough on that and then I switch to adult.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
mannyb, my dear fellow, don't you just look like a fake account created in order to advertise something? first a question, then a note that all our suggestions are bad and what will come next? a link to fantastic food/pet store you have just found?
we have a big dog. she gets any food brought by our vet: for some time it was arkat and lately it's eucanuba. she's fine: big, healthy and very energetic. but she'd probably eat gravel if it was covered in grease. i see no need for some fancy, expensive dog food for... well... essentially... - a dog. they ain't exactly sensitive new born humans with food allergies, you know.

Well, give him credit, he's been planning it for a long time.

Reactions: xtoclark

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I find most puppy foods whatever brand these day's to heavy loaded with all kinds of so called good stuff for a puppy.
I feed these day's puppy food for a pup until they are 3 months old, older then that on puppy food gives only problems such as too rapid growing with growing pains to go with that (sometimes severe), pup is quit out of proportion with his back higher then the rest. Nope, not for my dogs, 3 or 4 months is enough on that and then I switch to adult.

I switch early too, but not as early as you do.

I find holding off on the neutering until 1 yr or so really helps with development... they need the hormones in the early months.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You're absolutely right about a higher premium food, you need to give lesser in general but that doesn't automatically goes for every dog.
Mixing kibbles of different brand and/or quality I would not suggest to do, better is to give your dog a day per week some fresh meat like hart, liver or a whole raw chicken, better for their disgestive system.

A friend of mine feeds his Springer Spaniel chickens exclusively.. bones, the works.
Supposedly stimulates the "dog" in the dog..... go figure!
Its expensive too!

Anyway, at a litter "reunion", he claims the results were obviously visible.
Better coat and so on
So, what else would he say?

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Alican, Eukanuba, Pedigree....etc are all the same crap = PROCESSED food. It's the burger king, big MAC, kfc of the doggies world... Humans do "live" long on that type of food.

Dogs deserve real veggies and meat, and make it RAW. Use your scrap veggies (if you eat any) cooked with rice, add your leftovers (ALL) and throw the meat in.

NOW, you have happy healthy doggies.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
A friend of mine feeds his Springer Spaniel chickens exclusively.. bones, the works.
Supposedly stimulates the "dog" in the dog..... go figure!
Its expensive too!

Anyway, at a litter "reunion", he claims the results were obviously visible.
Better coat and so on
So, what else would he say?

My last edition to my group of dogs has been raised from week 3 until 3 months on young chickens.
I feed my dogs occasionally raw here because its just really good for their digestive system and a good working digestive system in a dog gives you a dog who is fit and has a nice fully and healty coat which you actually can see. A whole raw chicken (I remove only the claws if they are in the packet) is a very complete meal for a dog, bones for the calcium, organmeat for the minerals and vitamins, stomage and intestion from the chicken for some positive absorption of digestive bacteria which helps the digestive system of the dog. If feathers are still present they are also on the menu.
Other times they get raw beef because its such a good source of good natural prote?ns.
And all my dogs learn to eat veggies and whole eggs with shell from pup on as an addition to their diet.
Rice I almost never give my dogs, its just a filler and doesn't add anything substantial to their diet.
If I could, all my dogs would be eating raw but its not feasable because of the lack of different kind of meats available here (no pigion, no rabbit, no sheep meat found yet, no wild meat like hare which is a great source of Iron for example, etc...)
And what I really miss here is the dirty stomage of a cow which is the most complete piece of organmeat you can give to a dog because its full with good bacteria, half processed grass full of vitamins and minerals, smels like hell but dogs love it. I would be a threat to have the chance to give them that once in a while.

Last edited: