Iron Door / Security Gate / Cost

E

engineerfg

I know the answer is going to be 'it depends', but what did people here pay for their iron gates / security gates / doors?

I've been given 2 quotes so far, for a 'normal' door size, one for 26K DOP and one for 36K DOP. are these 'normal' local rates?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I know the answer is going to be 'it depends', but what did people here pay for their iron gates / security gates / doors?

I've been given 2 quotes so far, for a 'normal' door size, one for 26K DOP and one for 36K DOP. are these 'normal' local rates?

Cough, cough,,As I try to stop choking on those prices!
36K, that's almost a $1,000 U.S.

I don't know the actual prices, but I would never pay those kind of prices for a normal door size gate here in the DR.

I would advise you to make sure the gate is made of "Solid" bars and not tubular/square/rectangle hollow bars, which of course would be more expensive.

The hollow ones rust out easy and also are easy to break into.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Okay, I just checked with my neighbor (Dominican) who had such work done for him more recently then myself, and his (Un-official) estimate is way, way, way below that (Under 10k). Your quotes just seem way out of line to me. It's been a while since I have had any done myself.

Try to get a Dominican to ask about prices if you can.

Where are you located?

If in the Santiago area the neighbor's brother does that kind of work, and I could ask for an actual quote for you. His work is excellent.

These are just my opinion, just can't believe prices are any where near the amounts you quoted for one door way.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
We paid 13,500.00 RD 6 months ago for a very strong, very heavy iron door, with 1.5 inch thick wooden panels integrated; The door is approximately 4ft wide by 8ft high - hope that helps.

Seems like a very good price, any chance you have pics of the door ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We just had a new metal door installed on our property - we replaced a heavy door that swung inward with one that slides open. It's about 8-10' wide and about 8' tall. I haven't seen it yet - my husband's brother found it, had it delivered, bought the metal bar base that it slides on placed on a cement base, etc. and it all came to about $450/US. Dominican prices.

I learned a long time ago not to show my face when buying or negotiating is done.

AE

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well is it a door or a gate? That cold be a fair price of a gate depending on how large it is, the intricacy of the design, the material to be used, etc...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You're being robbed. It can be had for much less. I expect RD10k is what a Dominican would pay - no more and probably less.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Okay, just spoke to my other neighbor who had his house broken into this past November.

He since had installed 9 window protectors, 2 doors/gates and enclosed his side patio for a total cost he told me of 20k.

This he had done 3 to 4 months ago here in the outskirts of Santiago where I live.

I did get the price correct from him, as I had him repeat it several times.

His words: veinte mil

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

E

engineerfg

jaja okay thanks very much. all noted. I asked my neighbor and they've paid 12K for their gate and they're gringo's too, so yah, I guess those were the gringo prices. thanks for your input.

ps - that surfclub looks PIMP!

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
That place is sweet that is probably why they were swinging for the gates (fences) with there very ballpark estimate.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Consider this when installing bars on your windows.

Drunk one night at my buddy's house in La Mulata, we were discussing security.

My Buddy pointed out that he could slide between the bars and enter the house.
He is thin (Tennis coach) and has to wear a t-shirt to slide through - otherwise he would chafe his nipples - but he is no thinner than a lot of banditos.
The spacing of the bars was 2.5 match boxes (regular Relampago size) - we had no measuring device at the time.
Many window bars are spaced wider than this.

Also, these were thick solid steel bars. The owner was telling me that they could not be cut with bolt cutters or a hacksaw. They were "schedule something or other - like they use in jail in the US".
Remembering an old episode of MythBusters I bet him that I could bend then enough to get through. I am not skinny, by the way. In fact I look like I have eaten several tennis coaches. He took on the bet and lost.
I took my t-shirt and a shovel handle that was lying around the patio, tied my t-shirt in a loop around the bars, inserted the shovel handle and started to twist. With little effort I bent the bars enough to get through.

So the morals of the story - do not space your bars any wider than a credit card distance apart and make sure you insert horizontal filler bars at 12" intervals.

But if you really want to get robbed, pay 1000 bucks for someone to knock you up a steel door!

Yikes!

Go see the dude next door to Caribe Tours in Charamicos. He has done loads of metalwork for me. Fast, accurate and reliable. Can't remember his name as it was many years ago but he is still there - I just saw him at Christmas.