thinking of moving to Luperon

iamcanadian

May 17, 2010
Hi everyone
My husband and I are gathering information about living in the DR. If anyone has any useful info, reading suggestions etc we would appreciate it. We currently have a 5 year plan so we can maximize the funds we will live on. Thanks to all for the interesting threads.......good reading.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
reading info

I've recently ordered the Dominican Republic Report and found alot of useful info in it. It is an ebook but just be careful to order the most recent version.

iamcanadian

May 17, 2010
Why Luperon?

Hi Lando, Luperon is currently getting all new sewers, sidewalks and roads. Even a new bridge. It is a sleepy little town and is so friendly. Puerto plata is not far away and the beach is right there, so what more could we ask for, right? Check it out sometime.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Sounds interesting ! I was set on Samana again for my next trip but this sounds good and less isolated, thus a better base to visit other parts of the island.

Does anyone knows of a website other than the one mentioned in post #4 (it doesn t offer much info) ?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Beautiful landscapes, nice people, the best hurricane protection, Luperon is a great area.

... Except its pretty far to a real city, you cant drive as the crow flies.

Cien Fuego

May 14, 2010
Check out Steve's restaurant in the center of Luperon. I had a great filet mignon there. I believe he rents out cars, motorcycles, bikes and other stuff. Playa Grande is a nice stretch of beach, but you will need to wear aqua socks to go swimming because of the sea urchins. I actually enjoy visiting La Isabela, which is the second place Colombus set-up a European civilization in the New World. When you get to the junction for Playa Grande, just keep going on the main road (I believe it would be north or northwest) for another half hour and you get to the little town of La Isabela.

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I stayed in Luperon for a week and really enjoyed it. The hotel I stayed in cost $700 pesos per night (a/c, cable tv. small refrig and hot water). I ate at Capt Steve's everyday. He has daily specials for only $100 pesos. I love his grouper fingers with rice and beans for only 100 pesos. I really enjoyed visiting Luperon.

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Also, on the way to La Isabela. There is a a great French Restuarant on the left hand side on the street.

iamcanadian

May 17, 2010
Sounds interesting ! I was set on Samana again for my next trip but this sounds good and less isolated, thus a better base to visit other parts of the island.

Does anyone knows of a website other than the one mentioned in post #4 (it doesn t offer much info) ?

Hi Africaida. If you want some info on Luperon there is a website called Luperon Dominican Republic and it gives some info. If you google earth Luperon it is about an hours drive west of Puerto Plata and is situated on a bay/harbour. If anyone wants to stay in a resort the Luperon Beach Resort is right on the beach and is fairly cheap. It's a nice place to stay and then go explore.

iamcanadian

May 17, 2010
I stayed in Luperon for a week and really enjoyed it. The hotel I stayed in cost $700 pesos per night (a/c, cable tv. small refrig and hot water). I ate at Capt Steve's everyday. He has daily specials for only $100 pesos. I love his grouper fingers with rice and beans for only 100 pesos. I really enjoyed visiting Luperon.

I loved Captain Steve's!!! Aren't he and his wife, Annie great? He makes a killer Margarita.....mmmmmm

iamcanadian

May 17, 2010

Hey Jcrew20, what hotel was it that you stayed at? We are going back quite often to see if we really do want to move there, but staying at the resort is just sooooo........resort-like...lol