sosua elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
any comments on the elections in sosua ? i hear sosua life's owner won deputy mayor.
or is it the standard "let's wait and see" ?
i want to hear from those of you who live there. just curious...

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i thought maybe people who own businesses and make a living in sosua would be interested. but of course i could be wrong. maybe they just go along to get along....

you have a point there jr....

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Now that the elections are over, it's going to be hard economic times for the professional photoshoppers out there.

I had NO IDEA there were so many white politicians in DR. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silenus

Mar 20, 2009
I'm dominican (Sosua resident) and what some of us fear is that by having a mayor from the PRD party (Ilana) with a PLD Pressident (Leonel) things wont be very good for Sosua.

Anyways I've never liked politics, I feel ashamed with my tourist friends when they see how we dominicans behave doing caravans for political parties.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The new mayor seems to have some good plans for developing Sosua but as Silenus says she is going to have to battle for everything!

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I feel ashamed with my tourist friends when they see how we dominicans behave doing caravans for political parties.

Why on earth would you feel that?
As a tourist caught up in a PLD parade 2 days before the election it was an experiance I wnt forget.

I wish the UK took a note from the DR in this respect.
Its interesting to note how many "young" people are involved - in the UK there are very few.
Again - I wish the UK could get younger people as passionate about politcs as they are here!

Gladimhere

Silenus

Mar 20, 2009
You don't get the full picture.

They don't care about politics nor do they know what the political party is about, they just want to get paid, party and drink.

Have you seen how unsafe those caravans are, people drinking and driving, people on top of cars (literally Evel Knievel style).

Caravans are just a excuse to get wasted and party. Plus they are not to be taken as a proof of a party winning.

Did you see how big was the PLD caravan in Sosua, yet they lost. :D

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I feel ashamed with my tourist friends when they see how we dominicans behave doing caravans for political parties.

As a tourist caught up in a PLD parade 2 days before the election it was an experiance I wnt forget.

I wish the UK took a note from the DR in this respect.
Its interesting to note how many "young" people are involved - in the UK there are very few.
Again - I wish the UK could get younger people as passionate about politcs as they are here!

Gladimhere

Those were my thoughts. The 2010 UK elections had a 65% turnout, that's the 3rd lowest since the end of WWII although the trend is moving back upwards

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You don't get the full picture.

They don't care about politics nor do they know what the political party is about, they just want to get paid, party and drink.

Have you seen how unsafe those caravans are, people drinking and driving, people on top of cars (literally Evel Knievel style).

Caravans are just a excuse to get wasted and party. Plus they are not to be taken as a proof of a party winning.

Did you see how big was the PLD caravan in Sosua, yet they lost. :D

I submit to your better knowledge of this Silenus! :bunny:

Silenus

Mar 20, 2009
Those were my thoughts. The 2010 UK elections had a 65% turnout, that's the 3rd lowest since the end of WWII although the trend is moving back upwards

I can assure you that if they allowed all the party, drinking and riding on cars like that, you will see a spike of 200% with the young population :D

Also politicians buy votes (literally cash on hand).

That's enough motivation eh.

I submit to your better knowledge of this Silenus! :bunny:

Thanks.

It's just my perspective as a Dominican, I come here because I like to see your views on different topics.

Reactions: Black Dog

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

What I think Silenus is referring to is that although it looks all very happy & enthusiastic on the surface, it is effectively rent-a-mob. The same people will get out the white flags Tuesday for the PRD caravana, then, next day 'where's my mauve flag, it's PLD day' (plus where's my free giveaway, food bag, drinks, electrical item etc etc). It is shot through with corruption, although I don't blame the poor for taking what is given.

Party loyalty is a foreign concept, most of all by politicians themselves who switch parties at whim. One of the Puerto Plata province diputadas was originally PRD, she left to become a PLD mayor and then after a few years went back to the PRD. This is not unusual. Party political platforms/policies don't really exist. And finally, it has precious little to do with representing a constituency, once in office, so much as using the office for personal gain.

Of course there are exceptions. Far too few. Generally, it's a sad spectacle of exploitation.

Silenus, well done that man/woman for being a breath of fresh air! I see you know your Greek mythology too :cheeky:.

Silenus

Mar 20, 2009
Agreed with that.

Mostly the old people are loyal to parties, my grandparents are white 'till death. :D

Offtopic:
Hey Lambada.

Martin Silenus is actually from Hyperion a sci-fi novel from Dan Simmons, but his features are loosely based on the Greek character.

I'm male btw.

Reactions: AlaninDR

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Agreed with that.

Martin Silenus is actually from Hyperion a sci-fi novel from Dan Simmons, but his features are loosely based on the Greek character.

I'm male btw.

You don't come across like a thousand year old, foul mouthed, alcoholic! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.