Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scattering of deceased ashes in the DR

What kind of legal requirements/ documentation are needed to bring the ashes in to the DR with the purpose of scattering them (as per last wishes)?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

bring the urn and spread them, nobody will know the difference.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You should have some documentation when you take them from the US, or your own country, if not US. They will be questioned by airport security. I know this from my own experience. On the xray the ashes show is a dense black blob. immediately causing suspicion. I recommend calling the attention of the screeners to the ashes before they go through the scanner. Tell them what you have and show the documentation. You should be able to get something from the place that does the cremation.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know the requirements in regards to the DR but I'd get documentation of what your carrying, transporting the remains of someone internationally is not normal fare.

From Europe to the States I needed everything stamped by a US consulate, death certificate, cremation date & place, airline tickets, flight #'s, layover times, the works...
    Airport security and Customs wanted to know what was in the bag, the papers were very helpful, everybody gave their condolences and I was left alone & on my way.
    Scattering them will not be a problem.

lt

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CG-LT View Post
    Don't know the requirements in regards to the DR but I'd get documentation of what your carrying, transporting the remains of someone internationally is not normal fare.

From Europe to the States I needed everything stamped by a US consulate, death certificate, cremation date & place, airline tickets, flight #'s, layover times, the works...
    Airport security and Customs wanted to know what was in the bag, the papers were very helpful, everybody gave their condolences and I was left alone & on my way.
    Scattering them will not be a problem.

lt
    When I took ashes from here to US I also had papers from the US Consulate

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"carrying ashes" has been used as a ruse for transporting drugs internationally - get some documentation, or they might detain them for testing.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done this 3 times... never had any permits....

But to transport ashes - country to country - might be a different thing

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I bring ashes traveling with me all the time, you really don’t need documentation, just put it in the security bin on it’s own like out of your bag. Been out in the us and Canada with them 6 times this year alone. The first time I brought the cremation certificate but not one person has looked at it. If it is a huge strange box like they do here then they may want to see the certificate but I doubt it they just do lots of testing like swabs and x rays if they can’t open the box they really didn’t even care about the paperwork.
    If you want it to be easier put the ashes in a plastic container not metal but really it’s not a big deal.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysrock View Post
    I bring ashes traveling with me all the time, you really don’t need documentation, just put it in the security bin on it’s own like out of your bag. Been out in the us and Canada with them 6 times this year alone. The first time I brought the cremation certificate but not one person has looked at it. If it is a huge strange box like they do here then they may want to see the certificate but I doubt it they just do lots of testing like swabs and x rays if they can’t open the box they really didn’t even care about the paperwork.
    If you want it to be easier put the ashes in a plastic container not metal but really it’s not a big deal.
    ...My daughter brought some 2 years ago from Texas..no papers no problem..in glass jar....

10. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

HA!!

they made me dump 3 little boxes of cream cheese ---POP to EWR recently

Ashes ???
    I have never tried !!!

I have buried my family - where they asked

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast