Scattering of deceased ashes in the DR

CanuckGal

May 19, 2010
What kind of legal requirements/ documentation are needed to bring the ashes in to the DR with the purpose of scattering them (as per last wishes)?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You should have some documentation when you take them from the US, or your own country, if not US. They will be questioned by airport security. I know this from my own experience. On the xray the ashes show is a dense black blob. immediately causing suspicion. I recommend calling the attention of the screeners to the ashes before they go through the scanner. Tell them what you have and show the documentation. You should be able to get something from the place that does the cremation.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Don't know the requirements in regards to the DR but I'd get documentation of what your carrying, transporting the remains of someone internationally is not normal fare.

From Europe to the States I needed everything stamped by a US consulate, death certificate, cremation date & place, airline tickets, flight #'s, layover times, the works...
Airport security and Customs wanted to know what was in the bag, the papers were very helpful, everybody gave their condolences and I was left alone & on my way.
Scattering them will not be a problem.

lt

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know the requirements in regards to the DR but I'd get documentation of what your carrying, transporting the remains of someone internationally is not normal fare.

From Europe to the States I needed everything stamped by a US consulate, death certificate, cremation date & place, airline tickets, flight #'s, layover times, the works...
Airport security and Customs wanted to know what was in the bag, the papers were very helpful, everybody gave their condolences and I was left alone & on my way.
Scattering them will not be a problem.

lt

When I took ashes from here to US I also had papers from the US Consulate

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
"carrying ashes" has been used as a ruse for transporting drugs internationally - get some documentation, or they might detain them for testing.

Reactions: Celt202

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have done this 3 times... never had any permits....

But to transport ashes - country to country - might be a different thing

I bring ashes traveling with me all the time, you really don’t need documentation, just put it in the security bin on it’s own like out of your bag. Been out in the us and Canada with them 6 times this year alone. The first time I brought the cremation certificate but not one person has looked at it. If it is a huge strange box like they do here then they may want to see the certificate but I doubt it they just do lots of testing like swabs and x rays if they can’t open the box they really didn’t even care about the paperwork.
If you want it to be easier put the ashes in a plastic container not metal but really it’s not a big deal.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I bring ashes traveling with me all the time, you really don’t need documentation, just put it in the security bin on it’s own like out of your bag. Been out in the us and Canada with them 6 times this year alone. The first time I brought the cremation certificate but not one person has looked at it. If it is a huge strange box like they do here then they may want to see the certificate but I doubt it they just do lots of testing like swabs and x rays if they can’t open the box they really didn’t even care about the paperwork.
If you want it to be easier put the ashes in a plastic container not metal but really it’s not a big deal.

...My daughter brought some 2 years ago from Texas..no papers no problem..in glass jar....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
HA!!

they made me dump 3 little boxes of cream cheese ---POP to EWR recently

Ashes ???
I have never tried !!!

I have buried my family - where they asked

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
HA!!

they made me dump 3 little boxes of cream cheese ---POP to EWR recently

Ashes ???
I have never tried !!!

I have buried my family - where they asked

If the Grim Reaper finds me in the DR, I have no problem being cremated and having my ashes spread in a place of my choice. I could request they be spread on top of Pico Duarte. That would be cool. If I go ten toes up in my beloved province, the same applies. I have one of my favourite spots all picked out. Just have to remain on the good side of my sisters otherwise I could wind up anywhere.

On of the strangest requests I ever had when I worked in Halifax was from a lady who husband, a career Navy man had died and he wanted to be buried at sea. I instinctively knew some bureaucrat in Ottawa would have a set of regulations to address this. It’s actually complex and expensive to meet the regulations. The body has to be buried in a specially constructed coffin, concrete with small holes in it to ensure the decomposing body does not resurface in large pieces. That made sense. Having to apply for and pay for an ocean disposal permit, $2500 at the time really didn’t make sense. It was an insult to a man who served his country well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Because we move around a bit, my wife & I have stipulated our preference(s) depending on 'where' .

Not hard....if you choose to go somewhere else - special - say so !!

But it is a bit of planning we should all do if cremation is the chosen route...or coffin

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hahaha

I wasn't the first....

BUT

people are still keeling over - toes up - even after 9 yrs.... what's changed ?

Taxes & death - I seem to remember a saying
regardless of age

The thread was closed too.....

We'll get to Blandino's in a bit

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we just had a similar topic...planning (pre-planning) cremation

it's a serious topic .... now or 9 yrs ago.........IMO

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

There is two things I’m sure of....Death & taxes... when I die I want to be buried upside down so the world can kiss my A$$

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
What's in the jar?

Grandpa's ashes.

Ashes are gray, these are white.

He was an albino.

Oh, OK.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Due to some recent circumstances, we had to inquire about cremation services in Santiago, and met with Blandino.

The basic info:

Cremation with a simple 1-1.5hr. service is RD$70,000. A longer service makes that cost rise somewhat, as would a chaplain, flowers, etc.

The cost includes a wooden box. Depending on your needs, such as taking the ashes outside the country (in our case the US), they provide a sealed plastic urn with a hermetically-sealed bag with the ashes within the wooden box.

The cost includes all paperwork for the DR. A death certificate and passport needs to be surrendered, and Blandino takes care of all the paperwork. A consent document signed by all the remaining family members, spouses, and children, must be signed. In our case, I have the power of attorney and a living will so my signature is all that is necessary.

For taking the ashes to the US, Blandino also will obtain the required documents from the US Embassy. The additional cost is US$65, and a certificate is issued for customs and immigration.

The entire process takes about 7-8 days, and the actual cremation takes place in Santo Domingo.

There are pre-paid plans available, but those do not save any $$$. If you inquire, you're given a direct person to call, and a list of required documents. Then all that is necessary to initiate the process is a phone call.

All-in-all a reasonable cost and simple process when the need arises.