Cheap decent hotel in Santiago

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
$50.oo-$60.oo

I have settled on "cabanas turisticas" (even alone) or Camp David Ranch in Santiago. One needs a car to access either.
I have been at Aloha Sol and Matum. I thought Matum was nicer (including some historic interest) except for most of the room's locks showing obvious signs to have been tampered with. I don't sleep tight when I always feel like I have to watch the chair I jammed the door shot with, with one eye. Aloha Sol... well, it's nice at day time but at night, Calle Del Sol turns kind's desolate, uninviting for a stranger.

I think that the $40.oo to $60.oo is NOT cheap for a country like this one and the quality offered (cabanitas and Camp David seem to offer the best price/quality ratio). Booking smartly I can get a **** hotel in Downtown Madrid. I staid at a **** hotel half a block away from Times Square (NYC obviously) just last summer... for $120.oo (yes, an Internet special). I regularly find deals for DR AI's for as low as $69.oo A ROOM (and pack 4 into it = less than $20.oo a pop... fed, pooled, sand all over - happy!).
There is just too little competition in QUALITY. The only ones who compete at that are the cabanitas... some with rooms better than most any other luxury hotel on the island - would suggest, that it CAN be done, but apparently, these are other people with other interests?

And then, there are the megalomaniac "projects"... ruin-projects like, in the case of Santiago Hotel Cibao. (what where they thinking?). In cities, one is ill advised to build hotels to "create" demand. It would have seemed so much more appropriate to build to SATISFY demand.

... J-D.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I have settled on "cabanas turisticas" (even alone) or Camp David Ranch in

I think that the $40.oo to $60.oo is NOT cheap for a country like this one and the quality offered (cabanitas and Camp David seem to offer the best price/quality ratio). Booking smartly I can get a **** hotel in Downtown Madrid. I staid at a **** hotel half a block away from Times Square (NYC obviously) just last summer... for $120.oo (yes, an Internet special). I regularly find deals for DR AI's for as low as $69.oo A ROOM (and pack 4 into it = less than $20.oo a pop... fed, pooled, sand all over - happy!).
There is just too little competition in QUALITY. The only ones who compete at that are the cabanitas... some with rooms better than most any other luxury hotel on the island - would suggest, that it CAN be done, but apparently, these are other people with other interests?

... J-D.

EGGXACLTY....why are these hotels in Santiago so pricy? :eek:
they charge as much as any big city for a night stay for a small little hotel ?
but are caba?as safe to stay overnight and do they have overnight rates?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And then, there are the megalomaniac "projects"... ruin-projects like, in the case of Santiago Hotel Cibao. (what where they thinking?). In cities, one is ill advised to build hotels to "create" demand. It would have seemed so much more appropriate to build to SATISFY demand.

... J-D.
I've always thought Hotel Cibao would make a killer condo project...

I understand the family patriarch and brains died, leaving the project in the bowels of a nasty estate battle between greedy...and brainless...heirs...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I've always thought Hotel Cibao would make a killer condo project...

I understand the family patriarch and brains died, leaving the project in the bowels of a nasty estate battle between greedy...and brainless...heirs...

Well, we discussed that a year ago. My point was and keeps being that "soooo" smart, the ol' man cannot have been either. When you embark yourself and investors in a project of that size one would be expected to set up a company and a board who can run it even when one drops out.
Apparently, that has not been done, or not properly at least.
The way it looks, it is well on track to join the long and growing list of mytho/megalomaniac projects rotting before completion.
Building have risen and near completion next to it, in the time since work only stopped at that monster.

Condos? I don't know? For whom?

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Negotiate.

EGGXACLTY....why are these hotels in Santiago so pricy? :eek:
they charge as much as any big city for a night stay for a small little hotel ?
but are caba?as safe to stay overnight and do they have overnight rates?

I've been directed to using cabanas by a Dominican woman was sent all over the country doing BUSINESS (not sex related). We discussed the subject of hotels and SHE was the one who felt safe in quality cabanas.
They have 24/7 security patrolling in front of the units constantly. Nobody gets in or out unchecked. You have a garage door PLUS a door to you suite.
Usually, they don't advertise a stay rate... but they can be negotiated with.
It's not ideal for longer than a 1 nite stay... as, they bill by 3 hr. increments. so... if you're out doing business during the day, leaving your room unoccupied (with just your stuff in it), the clock keeps ticking. But once I had to go to Bani I negotiated even that down to three 8 hrs. stays for the 3 nights I staid and got to keep my room and the keys to it. Cheaper, comfortabler (A/C, cable, HOT water anytime [solar btw "CB"!]) and at least appearing safer than the options offered in town for more money.

... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Condos? I don't know? For whom?

... J-D.
Whoever wants an upscale complex. A lot of expensive condos are pre-sold in Santiago in those high rises.

I'm told by two folks who worked architecturally on the project the vision was grand, and most of the rooms are spectacular-grand, wide terrases, expansive living areas, etc. Knock some walls out, add kitchens...and you have some interesting, open living space. Not to mention amenities that could be built on the first levels: shops, stores, restautants, etc. AND there is a ton for outbuildings and SFH's.

Not sayin', just sayin'...:classic:

It is an amazing property in location, size and scope.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Whoever wants an upscale complex. A lot of expensive condos are pre-sold in Santiago in those high rises.

I'm told by two folks who worked architecturally on the project the vision was grand, and most of the rooms are spectacular-grand, wide terrases, expansive living areas, etc. Knock some walls out, add kitchens...and you have some interesting, open living space. Not to mention amenities that could be built on the first levels: shops, stores, restautants, etc. AND there is a ton for outbuildings and SFH's.

Not sayin', just sayin'...:classic:

It is an amazing property in location, size and scope.

Well, why not. I just question the size/number of units vs. real active demand.
There are so many projects which have turned ruins where you can't help but wonder; "Why? Why didn't turn it into this or that, before it ended up abandoned, looted, in ruins?"

Vision! Sometimes here, it winds up looking more like a acute case of shortsightedness... arrogant shortsightedness, one might be tempted to call it.

Not to hammer YOUR vision, CB... not yours.

Anyways... THAT'S NOT what this thread was about!
So lets find something neat and cheap for the OP.

... J-D.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There are quite few cabana style hotels on Sadhala with Greek names. I dont know the price but they are like Zeus, Helios, Socrates names. A few names in english, Heavenly Ranch or something. But they are so far out on the avenue that you ll need to rent a car also.
With the cabanas I think it may be easier to keep your stuff in the trunk of your car when you re not in the room and just use the place to sleep and shower.

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Cabanas are expenisive, especially on the weekends. Average Cabana will cost you about 500 pesos for 3 hours. I stayed in a suite at Bora Bora and it was 2,000 pesos for 3 hours. I love to stay at Camp David, but it is too far from the city. I like Hotel Matum. It is close to everything, the rooms are nice and it cost about 2,000 per night.

Cien Fuego

May 14, 2010
I stayed at Hotel Aloha Sol, Hotel Colonial in downtown Santiago. Aloha Sol was a higher quality, but Hotel Colonial was not a bad place to stay for cheap. The owner, named Lazero, was very helpful in my first stays in the town because he speaks English. Hotel Colonial is about $30/night, while Aloha Sol is about $70/night. I also stayed at what was then the Courtyard Marriot near the airport in Santiago, However, it is now called Hodelpa Garden Court. This place was nice, but is a 15 minute drive to the Monumento/Centro Santiago. There are other Hodelpa hotels to check out closer to town.
Hotel Colonial - Hotel Colonial, Santiago, Dominican Republic
Hotel Aloha Sol - Hotel Aloha Sol
Hodelpa - HODELPA Hotels & Resorts - Santo Domingo | Santiago | Gran Almirante | Centro Plaza | Hodelpa Colonial in the Dominican Republic

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All this thread and nobody has mentioned Hotel Colonial! The best, cheapest, of the inexpensive hotels in Santiago. Victor and Lazaro run a good clean place.
Breakfast included in the new section for 1350 a night...and the breakfast is good and plentiful. They have a gated parking lot.

What's not to like??

HB

R

rockero

HI Have not been here in a long time but I thought rooms at Colonial Are starting at 15 a night with fan. Why Do I here then prices of 30 a night? Maybe it doubles with air con, I prefer a fan anyways, To much air con. has me couging, Weird why some one says the prices higher, Also another cheap place That was by Like Metro bus or Caribe that was like starting from like 12 to 14 a night, There were many reports on this before too, Ok guys dont lie on the cheapies and make them more expensive then they are ok???

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
HI Have not been here in a long time but I thought rooms at Colonial Are starting at 15 a night with fan. Why Do I here then prices of 30 a night? Maybe it doubles with air con, I prefer a fan anyways, To much air con. has me couging, Weird why some one says the prices higher, Also another cheap place That was by Like Metro bus or Caribe that was like starting from like 12 to 14 a night, There were many reports on this before too, Ok guys dont lie on the cheapies and make them more expensive then they are ok???

Heeeeeeeeeeeees Back!!!!!!!! The king of the $8 buck hotel room, Rockero.....

Reactions: Bronxboy
R

rockero

HI The place I am mentioning is LA Rotanda that is the cheapest in all of Santiago well I heard too even cheaper digs near Parque Duarte in centro but they say that is unsafe,,Ok then all I know is Rotanda is in the jardines district, If no one can post the adress e mail or if thwey have a website then at least how do you get there fvrom the metro bus station? Can you walk from there or do you need to take a short cab ride? People have posted this before on Rotanda but what directions is it coming from The Metro bus? Can someone explain it more or less? I Need as much info on this as possible,,,OK then I wait here for responses on this...