red lights at night?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i've been pulled over twice by AMET in the last 2 weeks while driving down maximo gomez after midnight.

i didn't catch the reason the first time, but tonight the AMET guy told me I ran a red light.

am i missing something? I don't run many red lights, but I will run some of them in extremely dark/deserted areas with no cars around; this is always how people drive at night in Santiago. Is this not the done thing in Santo Domingo? Or am I being targeted as a gringo driving a nice SUV alone late at night?

(i have a friend that is a general so i got off both times; however i certainly don't want to knowingly break the rules).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They are getting more vigilant and working later.

Just like the dedicated breath testing units, seen a few of them late at night pulling over cars and testing drivers. They are usually accompanied by AMET cops.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They are getting more vigilant and working later.

Just like the dedicated breath testing units, seen a few of them late at night pulling over cars and testing drivers. They are usually accompanied by AMET cops.
They shoulda been out Sunday night. Talk about Amateur Hour on the streets!

E

engineerfg

The light may be red, but all they see is green (in your pocket) :)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I don't get it. If you don't stop for red lights why do you stop for AMET's?

:D

Really, I can understand that one would run (slowly and carefully) a red light in a remote and/or desert or dangerous area late night for safety concerns. But then, running a light remains being running a light. Win some, loose some.

... J-D,

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
i've been pulled over twice by AMET in the last 2 weeks while driving down maximo gomez after midnight.

i didn't catch the reason the first time, but tonight the AMET guy told me I ran a red light.

am i missing something? I don't run many red lights, but I will run some of them in extremely dark/deserted areas with no cars around; this is always how people drive at night in Santiago. Is this not the done thing in Santo Domingo? Or am I being targeted as a gringo driving a nice SUV alone late at night?

(i have a friend that is a general so i got off both times; however i certainly don't want to knowingly break the rules).
Keep doing that for your safety. when light is green for you slow down and check for incoming traffic in both directions as other driver will not stop. If police pull you over at this time look for a safe place to stop like a gas station never in the dark or lonely places I've heard a lot of bad stories about Dominican caps.

JJ

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Keep doing that for your safety. when light is green for you slow down and check for incoming traffic in both directions as other driver will not stop. If police pull you over at this time look for a safe place to stop like a gas station never in the dark or lonely places I've heard a lot of bad stories about Dominican caps.

ok thanks, thats exactly what i've been doing.

flyingfox

Sep 10, 2008
The Turn Right on Red

This thread just begged me to ask another question. This comes from an ex PC from Avon and Somerset. What, actually, does the Dominican law say on the turn right on red? Is it really like the flashing ambers in France ...proceed with caution or is it actuallyillegal too?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
This thread just begged me to ask another question. This comes from an ex PC from Avon and Somerset. What, actually, does the Dominican law say on the turn right on red? Is it really like the flashing ambers in France ...proceed with caution or is it actuallyillegal too?

according to the manual del conductor page 7 right turn on red is legal unless there is a sign prohibiting right turn on red.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
according to the manual del conductor page 7 right turn on red is legal unless there is a sign prohibiting right turn on red.

Yes, it's like in the States.
HOWEVER, it's being misinterpreted/abused by many locals who think that it gives them absolute right of way against those who come thru straight on green.
You should see the looks of absolute dismay of some, if you insist that YOU actually DO come FIRSTER than them coming around the corner. :D

The rule is, there are no rules which are not abused or broken. You got the nicer car, the other one goes firster. Unless you have a placa official.

... J-D.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
HOWEVER, it's being misinterpreted/abused by many locals who think that it gives them absolute right of way against those who come thru straight on green.
You should see the looks of absolute dismay of some, if you insist that YOU actually DO come FIRSTER than them coming around the corner. :D

The rule is, there are no rules which are not abused or broken. You got the nicer car, the other one goes firster. Unless you have a placa official.

... J-D.

Yes almost all the traffic laws mirror the ones in the US. It's just that NONE of them are enforced. Thats the major problem with the traffic flow. I thought that AMET was supposed to quit directing traffic!! Either traine them or back them out of the way, they make a worse mess that what was there before.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
HOWEVER, it's being misinterpreted/abused by many locals who think that it gives them absolute right of way against those who come thru straight on green.... J-D.

I am one of those!!! as we understand that if are not going to take a right turn, Why you head on the right lane???? blocking the driver behind you.
Te pego la bocina y hasta te empujo con la defensa si ando rapido.

JJ

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
I am one of those!!! as we understand that if are not going to take a right turn, Why you head on the right lane???? blocking the driver behind you.
Te pego la bocina y hasta te empujo con la defensa si ando rapido.

JJ

for the same reason that you will make the right/left turn from the middle lane as you think its your right to do so. back to laws not enforced. why do you blow through stop signs? because they are there.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
for the same reason that you will make the right/left turn from the middle lane as you think its your right to do so. back to laws not enforced. why do you blow through stop signs? because they are there.
It cost me to get used even here in the US as in DR we respect a "stop sign" if there is incoming traffic on right of way only.
Other than that it's a stupidity for me to stop when I'm sure thre is not cars or people in right of way.
Here I have to do it, fines are really expensive and police cars are every where.

That is the difference.

JJ