will the gulf coast oil spill reach d.r.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
I was curious if the recent gulf coast oil spill will have any reach to the d.r. north and east beaches. Im visiting in early june and wondering if they are any good predictions. the media is already saying the florida keys and the atlantic ocean beaches will get some oil. please share your thoughts.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Yesterday afternoon on PRI they were talking about the possibility of effects on the north coast of Cuba. No mention of anything south of that being effected yet.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
expect the regional fishing economy to be decimated.
From where do you draw any of your expertise? I mean really...where you fron?

1) What DR fishery are you talking about? The parrot fish they sell on the street as mero? The DR has no real fisheries to speak of...shrimp? lobster? oysters?

2) Have you looked at a map or ocean current models? Here in the Florida Keys we have...The same current that allows Cubans to ride rafts to our shores are the same currents that will push the oil across the Keys and up the east coast...the Gulf Stream...

The Deepwater Horizon oil spill trajectory ensemble forecast from different numerical models

There's a better chance of Ireland seeing evidence of oil, than there is the DR seeing any.

The reason CUBA may see some oil is because the southern edge of the Florida Straits/Gulf Stream runs parallel to Cuba's north coast...there will be no LOANS or IMF bailouts to the DR because of BP OIL...if you see oil on the beaches in the DR, it most likely will have come from the bilges of the many ships that pass the island on the way to their destination...

Reactions: Celt202

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
OK Pyratt dead on with that one!!!! PS. Map = Land ,Chart = Water Now back to my favorite Hemingway novel....

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
OK Pyratt dead on with that one!!!! PS. Map = Land ,Chart = Water Now back to my favorite Hemingway novel....
Yo boat cook (JK), I know the difference, it's why I got my 100 ton ticket....consider what I was responding to.

I was asking two questions...one if the poster understood where the DR is in comparison to say the rest of the world (map)....and had he seen the forecast models...

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Cuba Si, RD no

Yo boat cook (JK), I know the difference, it's why I got my 100 ton ticket....consider what I was responding to.

I was asking two questions...one if the poster understood where the DR is in comparison to say the rest of the world (map)....and had he seen the forecast models...

The Florida Keys and the north coast of Cuba are endangered if the spill makes it way into the Gulf Stream and up the East Coast. DR tourism is safe, from oil, anyway.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The reason CUBA may see some oil is because the southern edge of the Florida Straits/Gulf Stream runs parallel to Cuba's north coast...
This can only be good news for the Dominican tourism industry.

Let's think for a minute:

A) Beaches all over Florida are at risk.

B) Cancun, Veracruz and whatever other destination on Mexico's eastern coastline are also at risk.

C) Cuba's Varadero (their Punta Cana or Cancun) is also at risk.

D) The most popular islands of the Bahamas are also at risk.

These are some of the most serious competition for the DR, especially Varadero, Cancun, and possibly even Florida. Not that all those beaches will be ruined by a little oil, the worst 'leak' is the one that CNN can make by telling the world that, say, Miami Beach has a streak of oil. Nothing is more effective at scaring tourists than simple stuff like that, hopefully they'll be scared in the direction of the DR.

For those of you that were complaining of the dip in tourism on the Dominican north coast, let's just say that a god somewhere may have heard your moaning.

It's a big maybe, but my, what a maybe it is. :cheeky:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
From where do you draw any of your expertise? I mean really...where you fron?

1) What DR fishery are you talking about? The parrot fish they sell on the street as mero? The DR has no real fisheries to speak of...shrimp? lobster? oysters?

2) Have you looked at a map or ocean current models? Here in the Florida Keys we have...The same current that allows Cubans to ride rafts to our shores are the same currents that will push the oil across the Keys and up the east coast...the Gulf Stream...

The Deepwater Horizon oil spill trajectory ensemble forecast from different numerical models

There's a better chance of Ireland seeing evidence of oil, than there is the DR seeing any.

The reason CUBA may see some oil is because the southern edge of the Florida Straits/Gulf Stream runs parallel to Cuba's north coast...there will be no LOANS or IMF bailouts to the DR because of BP OIL...if you see oil on the beaches in the DR, it most likely will have come from the bilges of the many ships that pass the island on the way to their destination...

And like DeNiro would say to Pesci "Fu'gatta'ere". Yea same story on PRI said the slick is at spots 15 miles long and when tested in the surface of ocean water was as deep as 400 feet. And since NO ONE knows exactly how much oil has left the pipe since the rig blew up LAST MONTH no one also knows how much oil is in the water. This was not a tanker spill, it is a ruptured well 5000 feet below sea level(in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, 45 miles off the Louisiana coastline). So this being a "technical point" here. It has to rise to the surface to float on the water. What part of it isnt rising? Since its considerably colder way down there, how do you know it isnt congealing and balling up down there? Or maybe it is blanketing the ocean floor? Killing everything down there as far as the eye CANNOT see?

AND>>>>> What about these chemical dispersants being released into ocean water without environmental control? Do you know what they are putting in the water to degrade this oil? I m damn sure aint Joy dish liquid, Dawn may cut grease but it also has a lot of phosphates that affect local freshwater water tables. I m sure these chemicals are stronger and more caustic than anything Proctor & Gamble makes.
So in your opinion, those who make their money as professional or recreational fisherman have nothing to lose, their will be no effect on their livelihood? Hmm, wow and all those Bubbas in Luisiana and all Vietnamese in Mississippi should be doing just fine, because some dude in Florida said so? Sounds great! Tell me "where you fron'" so I can get them to stay with you when they lose their house.

And your charts show "predictions" for the oil on the surface. That below the surface what of it?????
And just because the oil goes where you think it may I ask you: what about the marine life? Do they read the same charts or attend the same press conferences you did?

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Don't dance on Cuba's grave yet

This can only be good news for the Dominican tourism industry.

Let's think for a minute:

A) Beaches all over Florida are at risk.

B) Cancun, Veracruz and whatever other destination on Mexico's eastern coastline are also at risk.

C) Cuba's Varadero (their Punta Cana or Cancun) is also at risk.

D) The most popular islands of the Bahamas are also at risk.

These are some of the most serious competition for the DR, especially Varadero, Cancun, and possibly even Florida. Not that all those beaches will be ruined by a little oil, the worst 'leak' is the one that CNN can make by telling the world that, say, Miami Beach has a streak of oil. Nothing is more effective at scaring tourists than simple stuff like that, hopefully they'll be scared in the direction of the DR.

For those of you that were complaining of the dip in tourism on the Dominican north coast, let's just say that a god somewhere may have heard your moaning.

It's a big maybe, but my, what a maybe it is. :cheeky:

The DISASTER is bringing Obama and the Cubans together FOR THE COMMON GOOD OF US ALL. Cubans are extremely good at protecting their island--from drug dealers and natural disasters. Havana is on the north coast gateway to the Varadaro peninsula.
No island is apart from the larger issues facing us all. Check out the dead coral off Sosua. It's already too late.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
And your charts show "predictions" for the oil on the surface. That below the surface what of it?????
And just because the oil goes where you think it may I ask you: what about the marine life? Do they read the same charts or attend the same press conferences you did?
All of your questions were answered in the hazardous materials certification class I attended, and that BP paid for...they certified 100 voluteers at the local college in Key West...it's in the paper today...keysnews.com

What the "experts" told us (experts being in the U.S.) is that this is a Gulf of Mexico event with the potential to move south, then east, then NORTH up the U.S. coast....with northern Cuba possibly seeing some of the oil.

They were direct in saying the southern Caribbean would not be affected due to....

1) Gulf/ocean currents
2) Winds
3) dilution of the sub-surface pollution due to water column depths
4) evaporation of the surface oil pollution due to time on the surface
5) deterioration of the oil itself due to movement over time/distance

Why was the Caribbean brought up? Because some will be moving their larger vessels (you know, the big white ones with tinted windows) south to avoid oiling of their hulls.

Even if a hurricane hits the GULF, it will not send oil to the DR.

Whatever fisheries you have will remain as they are, whatever breeds in your waters will continue to do so and whatever is dead in your waters will remain dead.

The oil is over 1000 miles from Santo Domingo as the pigeon flies and there's a lot of deep water and land mass between you and it....take a breath, pour some more booze and find another argument, this one is done...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
BP paid for it? Thats like believing anything written in a public school history because the school district bought it. And I also heard BP testify before Congress they will pay "all legitimate claims". How much you want to bet they will hem and haw and contest "ALL legitimate claims"?

And they couldnt have all been answered because even marine biologists, aquatic ecologist, and environmentalists can only speculate as to the extent of the damage, short and long term with respect to the oil and the chemical dispersants.

"They say"....didnt they also say something like this could NEVER happen? And was not that the reason for excluding these types of rigs from environmental review under the Bush Administration? Boy did this one do a number on them. The rig blew up, killing 11 men, broke free from the well, sank and flipped over on top of the the aperture. Wow, and "they said" these things could never happen. Looks like they got doggie styled by a draft horse on that one, right?

But now they say they know the trajectory of the oil? Maybe they dont know what they say they do? Every point you mentioned they told you is a theory. There is no fact that it will do that. They hope and guess it will do that. 3,4 & 5. Dont even make sense because no one knows how much oil is out there above or below the surface of the water(or even its density) to know how much has settled or diluted or dissipated.

And I never said it the oil would hit the DR, I said it would ruin the fishing industry.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
All the experts of the board have voiced their opinions. Thank you.

Thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.