Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default will the gulf coast oil spill reach d.r.?

I was curious if the recent gulf coast oil spill will have any reach to the d.r. north and east beaches. Im visiting in early june and wondering if they are any good predictions. the media is already saying the florida keys and the atlantic ocean beaches will get some oil. please share your thoughts.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The US government is holding talks with the Cuban government regarding the oil spill.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

expect the regional fishing economy to be decimated.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday afternoon on PRI they were talking about the possibility of effects on the north coast of Cuba. No mention of anything south of that being effected yet.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    expect the regional fishing economy to be decimated.
    From where do you draw any of your expertise? I mean really...where you fron?

1) What DR fishery are you talking about? The parrot fish they sell on the street as mero? The DR has no real fisheries to speak of...shrimp? lobster? oysters?

2) Have you looked at a map or ocean current models? Here in the Florida Keys we have...The same current that allows Cubans to ride rafts to our shores are the same currents that will push the oil across the Keys and up the east coast...the Gulf Stream...

The Deepwater Horizon oil spill trajectory ensemble forecast from different numerical models

There's a better chance of Ireland seeing evidence of oil, than there is the DR seeing any.

The reason CUBA may see some oil is because the southern edge of the Florida Straits/Gulf Stream runs parallel to Cuba's north coast...there will be no LOANS or IMF bailouts to the DR because of BP OIL...if you see oil on the beaches in the DR, it most likely will have come from the bilges of the many ships that pass the island on the way to their destination...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Pyratt dead on with that one!!!! PS. Map = Land ,Chart = Water Now back to my favorite Hemingway novel....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yacht chef View Post
    OK Pyratt dead on with that one!!!! PS. Map = Land ,Chart = Water Now back to my favorite Hemingway novel....
    Yo boat cook (JK), I know the difference, it's why I got my 100 ton ticket....consider what I was responding to.

I was asking two questions...one if the poster understood where the DR is in comparison to say the rest of the world (map)....and had he seen the forecast models...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cuba Si, RD no

Quote Originally Posted by pyratt View Post
    Yo boat cook (JK), I know the difference, it's why I got my 100 ton ticket....consider what I was responding to.

I was asking two questions...one if the poster understood where the DR is in comparison to say the rest of the world (map)....and had he seen the forecast models...
    The Florida Keys and the north coast of Cuba are endangered if the spill makes it way into the Gulf Stream and up the East Coast. DR tourism is safe, from oil, anyway.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason CUBA may see some oil is because the southern edge of the Florida Straits/Gulf Stream runs parallel to Cuba's north coast...
    This can only be good news for the Dominican tourism industry.

Let's think for a minute:

A) Beaches all over Florida are at risk.

B) Cancun, Veracruz and whatever other destination on Mexico's eastern coastline are also at risk.

C) Cuba's Varadero (their Punta Cana or Cancun) is also at risk.

D) The most popular islands of the Bahamas are also at risk.

These are some of the most serious competition for the DR, especially Varadero, Cancun, and possibly even Florida. Not that all those beaches will be ruined by a little oil, the worst 'leak' is the one that CNN can make by telling the world that, say, Miami Beach has a streak of oil. Nothing is more effective at scaring tourists than simple stuff like that, hopefully they'll be scared in the direction of the DR.

For those of you that were complaining of the dip in tourism on the Dominican north coast, let's just say that a god somewhere may have heard your moaning.

It's a big maybe, but my, what a maybe it is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

From where do you draw any of your expertise? I mean really...where you fron?

1) What DR fishery are you talking about? The parrot fish they sell on the street as mero? The DR has no real fisheries to speak of...shrimp? lobster? oysters?

2) Have you looked at a map or ocean current models? Here in the Florida Keys we have...The same current that allows Cubans to ride rafts to our shores are the same currents that will push the oil across the Keys and up the east coast...the Gulf Stream...

The Deepwater Horizon oil spill trajectory ensemble forecast from different numerical models

There's a better chance of Ireland seeing evidence of oil, than there is the DR seeing any.

The reason CUBA may see some oil is because the southern edge of the Florida Straits/Gulf Stream runs parallel to Cuba's north coast...there will be no LOANS or IMF bailouts to the DR because of BP OIL...if you see oil on the beaches in the DR, it most likely will have come from the bilges of the many ships that pass the island on the way to their destination...
    And like DeNiro would say to Pesci "Fu'gatta'ere". Yea same story on PRI said the slick is at spots 15 miles long and when tested in the surface of ocean water was as deep as 400 feet. And since NO ONE knows exactly how much oil has left the pipe since the rig blew up LAST MONTH no one also knows how much oil is in the water. This was not a tanker spill, it is a ruptured well 5000 feet below sea level(in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, 45 miles off the Louisiana coastline). So this being a "technical point" here. It has to rise to the surface to float on the water. What part of it isnt rising? Since its considerably colder way down there, how do you know it isnt congealing and balling up down there? Or maybe it is blanketing the ocean floor? Killing everything down there as far as the eye CANNOT see?

AND>>>>> What about these chemical dispersants being released into ocean water without environmental control? Do you know what they are putting in the water to degrade this oil? I m damn sure aint Joy dish liquid, Dawn may cut grease but it also has a lot of phosphates that affect local freshwater water tables. I m sure these chemicals are stronger and more caustic than anything Proctor & Gamble makes.
    So in your opinion, those who make their money as professional or recreational fisherman have nothing to lose, their will be no effect on their livelihood? Hmm, wow and all those Bubbas in Luisiana and all Vietnamese in Mississippi should be doing just fine, because some dude in Florida said so? Sounds great! Tell me "where you fron'" so I can get them to stay with you when they lose their house.

And your charts show "predictions" for the oil on the surface. That below the surface what of it?????
    And just because the oil goes where you think it may I ask you: what about the marine life? Do they read the same charts or attend the same press conferences you did?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast