House hunting - North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
OK so during August we are going to Puerto Plata to go house hunting and would love some ideas/tips from anyone in the area.

Now although we're going to be in Puerto Plata we don't necessarily want to buy there (it's the place we happened to book to stay while we're looking) - we're open to anywhere in the North. Imagine a line from Monte Cristi to Santiago up to Rio San Juan anywhere above that line we would be happy to have a look at.

Some info on which states (provinces? - can't remember the correct term at the moment) are better value for money.

I know this post is very vague but it's less about how much we are spending and such and more about information on the states/cities and their compartive value.

And before anyone (certain posters in particular :bunny: ) go on a rant about how we should rent first and how we know nothing of DR life etc then please hold it in - we are going to rent first we just want to look around at possibilities so we know our price range in the different areas etc - basically if it isnt helpful then there's no point wasting your time by giving everyone your personal opinion if it doesnt actually contribute to the thread :cheeky::cheeky:

OK that's it from me, over to you!

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Contact Patty (patty & Kelly are the owners) at Jolly Roger in Sosua, she is VERY honest and will help you in every aspect of your search, I know this because she helped me buy my place in Sosua, if your in Sosua stop by Jolly Roger, cold cheap beer, and great real estate advice. here is the link. I hope this helps. http://www.jollyrogersosua.com/

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Some info on which states (provinces? - can't remember the correct term at the moment) are better value for money.

It doesn't quite work like that because value for money within a province will vary depending on how close to the coast you go. Go inland a little way & you will notice prices are markedly less expensive. Put it to the test during August and I think you'll see what I mean.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
AND it depends on what you need! For example if you have children needing to go to private school then Rio san Juan would not offer value. If you need full time high end internet service to work from home - then you will need to factor that into the equation.

So my point is - value is relevant!!!!

more info and we can possibly be of help.

Dec 21, 2008
more info?

We bought in the Sosua area almost two years ago...we worked with fantastic Canadian real estate agents who have been living in the DR for seven plus years. If you want their info, PM me and I will give it to you. Fantastic couple who gave us excellent advice and it wasn't a sales pitch to sell a property.

Reactions: mike l

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
And before anyone (certain posters in particular :bunny: ) go on a rant about how we should rent first and how we know nothing of DR life etc then please hold it in - we are going to rent first we just want to look around at possibilities so we know our price range in the different areas etc - basically if it isnt helpful then there's no point wasting your time by giving everyone your personal opinion if it doesnt actually contribute to the thread :cheeky::cheeky:

Good move alienating a fair number of those who probably can give the best advice.
Likely not to be "wasting their time", as you say.

Could've just as easily replaced the last paragraph with "We understand the benefits of renting first and are trying to get a feel for areas in which to focus our search".

Anyhow, contact William, a Canadian realtor in Cabarete. you should work well together :bunny:

sicknote

Jun 9, 2009
we bought property and the real estate guy was fantastic,,,honest, trustworthy and realy helpfull, he has an office near the square called Watson Homes Real Estate, opposite the orange shop, as you will proberbly find there are lots of people playing at selling property via internet, from a bar, restaraunt etc,,,,,,,,,,if you want a beer,,go to a bar , if you want property go to a real estate, the only problem we foud was Watson homes didnt have any beer we had to go to the bar next door, check the website at www.watsonhomes.tv or pm me if you need his phone number, he also has great contacts for building maintenance firm , a gardener, a pool guy and construction company also in sosua,,,,,,,,,hope this helps

Silenus

Mar 20, 2009
Only thing I can say it try to get a honest friend here who can get you info on the area, sometimes people want to sell you a house which is located on a place where there have been robberies before.

I had some Canadian friends who bought a house in La Mulata, didn't have fences, their fault, but they were robbed twice. Now they sold the house but don't think the new buyers will know that info easily.

Not trying to scare you, but common sense is first, study the property and the town.

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
Mrs. Silver Fox 60: Please provide the name and contact info for the fantastic Canadian real estate couple. Much appreciated. Thanks. Joe``````````````````````````````````````````

Status
Not open for further replies.