marrying a Dominican...

USKK

May 14, 2010
If I were to marry a Dominican in the DR, what happens next? What exactly is he entitiled to of mine?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Same as anyone else you married would be. (likely half...plus may be entitled to support if you eanr more.....plus you will be responsible for him should you sponsor him to your country)

Please dont tell me this is the dancer you met a few weeks ago. Assets/money can always be replaced....emotions......not so much.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Are you serious USKK ?

Didn't you meet an animation guy a couple of weeks ago ?

After a whole week romance, you are already thinking about marriage?

Reactions: Celt202

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
sock+puppets.png

What about the babies

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think you right on the money jr unless she is the dumbest poster in DR1 history :)

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
exactly what I was thinking.....

Please dont tell me this is the dancer you met a few weeks ago. Assets/money can always be replaced....emotions......not so much.[/QUOTE]

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Funny you should ask that question

If I were to marry a Dominican in the DR, what happens next? What exactly is he entitiled to of mine?

He is entitled to stay home and drink Presidentes and play dominoes all day while he waits for you to come home and cook his pollo y arroz. Your place will become his place, your stuff will become his stuff and he will probably "cut your head" (cuff) from time to time so you know he's the man of the house. He's also entitled to get you, your baby Sister, a cousin and your best friend pregnant (simultaneously) and when his permanent resident alien card comes in you'll never see him again.

But he could be different...I'm just saying.

I'm (of course) not being serious, just like I hope you're not and if you should ever decide to get married I hope you spend about a year planning your wedding and subsequent married life with whomever you decide to spend your remaining days here on Earth..

Some things can't be rushed.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
If you've got anything now in terms of assets, then get a prenuptial agreement. If it's true love, no problem. If it's not, you'll find out.

If you truly feel like you're in love, and haven't got much in terms of assets, and want to take a chance, do it. If the other person's intent is to rip out your heart, I have to say dominicans seem to take a perverse pleasure in doing so and are very good at it.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Guzman commented that your assets before you got married remain yours - according to D.R. law.
Only assets acquired after the marriage are subject to being divided.

I do not want to be wrong so check out the legal section from 1 week ago.

USKK

May 14, 2010
Oh how I missed you all....
what happed with racerX on the last thread? Bizarro!
No ................. This is NOT about me. I have discontinued my thoughts about my sanky. Just curious because my niece who you ll remember was with me asked since she has already been hit up for passport $ and marriage. She was curious what would even happen if a US citizen married a DR there. It sounds like a loooong process anyway. So what if you had a DR marriage document? But i guess from what you say, they are immediately entitiled to half....geez....i see why they are so good at their job.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Guzman commented that your assets before you got married remain yours - according to D.R. law.
Only assets acquired after the marriage are subject to being divided.

I do not want to be wrong so check out the legal section from 1 week ago.

That's in the DR. It doesn't necessarily work that way depending on the State she lives in. They all have different laws concerning the definition of "community" property. Preowned real estate in MD, for instance is automatically "community" property when you marry.

There are attorneys who specialize in shredding prenuptual agreements. The "ironclad" prenup went the way of the "unsinkable" Titanic. You don't even have to be married in some States to owe a share of your assets to your "partner".

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It sounds like a loooong process anyway. So what if you had a DR marriage document? But i guess from what you say, they are immediately entitiled to half....geez....i see why they are so good at their job.

The process can sometimes be a lengthy one but I've seen the "fiance" visa go through in 12 weeks.

Of course they're good at their "jobs". Most Pimps are.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know this is the Legal Forum but we should post the lyrics to that Sankie song together with Hillbilly's rules every time one of these questions come up.

USKK

May 14, 2010
That's in the DR. It doesn't necessarily work that way depending on the State she lives in. They all have different laws concerning the definition of "community" property. Preowned real estate in MD, for instance is automatically "community" property when you marry.

There are attorneys who specialize in shredding prenuptual agreements. The "ironclad" prenup went the way of the "unsinkable" Titanic. You don't even have to be married in some States to owe a share of your assets to your "partner".

Why does anyone get married? seems that institution should have also went the way of the Titanic. No offense to those rare soul-mate couples, thanks to you all, that's what keeps me thinking it's possible, but what mess it can all be.

Oh and BTW...read a blog from a Shiraz several months ago... are you serious? I got twice the lashing, with half the drama.:classic:

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Oh how I missed you all....
what happed with racerX on the last thread? Bizarro!
No ................. This is NOT about me. I have discontinued my thoughts about my sanky. Just curious because my niece who you ll remember was with me asked since she has already been hit up for passport $ and marriage. She was curious what would even happen if a US citizen married a DR there. It sounds like a loooong process anyway. So what if you had a DR marriage document? But i guess from what you say, they are immediately entitiled to half....geez....i see why they are so good at their job.
Tell your "niece" to lose the weight and she'll have a better selection of guys hitting on her at home and she won't have to go to the D.R. to find someone to dance with her....

USKK

May 14, 2010
Tell your "niece" to lose the weight and she'll have a better selection of guys hitting on her at home and she won't have to go to the D.R. to find someone to dance with her....

she's a doll. 5'7 125lbs. so no weight issue here, ( oh and to all you haters, we have tits and ass!!! she gets plenty of play here, just curious as to the legalities.