None payment for work carried out, options?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
This is a tricky situation. I got a knock at my door the other day asking for my services in a bit of an emergency, or at least requiring prompt attention. I carried out the work and then billed the guy, now the guy wants to pay me 10 percent of my rate, I am open to negotiation if the bill is a shock, we all have to be open to negotiation here, but where do I stand on this?
Part of the factor is the guy is my landlord, and we have now landed in a situation where I am not prepared to pay my rent unless he pays me or opens up to reasonable negotiation.
We had no contract for the work carried out as it was spur of the moment and not even discussed.
We have an agreement of sorts for the apt, I signed a form of lease but for no length of time and this form was not legalised to my knowledge.
Any tips on how to deal with this moron?

I have a feeling that even if this guy got a bill for 200pesos he would have a problem with it.
Also in mind, the apt has not been functioning correctly at all since we moved in, I have fixed several problems myself and also for others, still to this day, nothing functions as is advertised.

All tips and experience on this side of Dominican dealings very much appreciated.

Ont top of this I got a mail this morning offering an appointment at the Dominican Minister of Labor. Why I have no idea, he tells me that here in the Republic we have a law that says all work has a certain price and it is LAW to work within this price range, any insight into this would be helpful also.

wimbleton

Apr 15, 2009
pro bono

let it go tell him no chrge if it isnt aton of money and learn from it!less stress no contract without writing is enforcible here! at any rate your peace of mind is more important .

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I would like to know what kind of work did you provided to your landlord before i put my two cents.
If possible....

JJ

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
no rental contract...

no agreement on the price for the work you did...

hmmm.... unless you want to move real quick... (take this as a harsh lesson on how things work over here...)

centurion

May 23, 2010
If it happen's again tell him up front your price and expect to be paid in full when finished or if he has a problem with that tell him to@#$% off and pay even more for a contractor.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If you did work that wasn't of a professional nature, lawyer, dentist, med doctor,etc. he isn't going to pay you anymore than the going street rate. You never stated what you did for him and more importantly how much time you put into it. Even if you put a full day into fixing HIS emergency he is going to equate your time which you probably think is worth more than a street smart local born here, with a rate he feels he would have gotten from them. This is just another of life's learning experiences for you and you probably got off cheap. I'm sure now you will never get involved with any project here in the future without getting all the terms of labor to be performed and cash payments required in writing. Nothing, including THEIR so called emergencies should be done over a verbal agreement.