Health insurance

centurion

May 23, 2010
Hello I would like to get information on health care and health insurance in DR ,I'm planning to retire in five year's and would like to get as much information about it.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
There is local insurance that covers you for just about everything in the DR and is very cheap. It runs about $20-25 a month per person.
If you cannot keep your home insurance there are multiple international policies that are reasonable (except for pre existing conditions) that are at least a lot cheaper then US insurance. We have both of these and i just had a rather serious bicycle accident in the US and the international insurance took care of it all.

Bob K

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Hello I would like to get information on health care and health insurance in DR ,I'm planning to retire in five year's and would like to get as much information about it.

ask that question again in 4 3/4 years again. because from now to the day you retire and you may move to the DR so much can change.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
There are many, many threads about this very subject. Do a search or just screen thru the pages and pages of info.

Dominican health insurance is indeed cheap, when compared to most expats' countries of origins.
But coverage is somewhat limited and most always requires a hard to predict co-pay. Still, these co-pays are usually lower than anywhere else and the insurance card gives one the additional advantage of being treated as a "normal" (like in "local") case and bypass the "hustle the gringo" part from the get go on.
But, there may come a time, where you prefer to bypass the insurance and cut a cash deal with a provider to secure a preferential or better than insured treatment.

Try to stick with one of the MAIN insurance companies like UNIVERSAL.

Some associations and clubs offer group policies to their members... there is one in Sosua who does.

... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But, there may come a time, where you prefer to bypass the insurance and cut a cash deal with a provider to secure a preferential or better than insured treatment.

... J-D.
And still save a ton of $$$ over the cost of the same service in the US...

bellakins

May 31, 2008
What's best?

Which international insurance policies are best for DR and US (northeast)?
Any recommendations to research... for the over 50 individual?