Fines for overstaying your VISA ?

elglobie

May 16, 2010
I have read that immigration enforcement is far from strict,(read on this board about a woman staying more than 10 years in the DR without legal residence) what are typical fines for overstaying your VISA ?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I waited 11 years before getting mine. The fine that you are charged is when you overstay on your tourist card:

De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
If your temp residency expired you have to pay the fines listed above when you leave the country..

Also if you have a temp residency that expired, immigration charges $500 pesos for every month that you wait to apply for your perm residency.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I waited 11 years before getting my residence. But that was a while back, now you need your cedula/residence to work and do transactions.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Will you still have to pay the fine if you have a cedula?

Yes the cedula is just an ID card. You need your residency to aviod the exit tax. Very easy to get at the same time and does not add much cost. So why not get both.

Bob K

Daniel10

Apr 19, 2010
danny-in-dr.blogspot.com
Yes the cedula is just an ID card. You need your residency to aviod the exit tax. Very easy to get at the same time and does not add much cost. So why not get both.
Cheers for that Bob. Will get it as soon as I get of the plane ;-) I could still come in with a tourist visa?
Just say I decided to stay after one day :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If your temp residency expired you have to pay the fines listed above when you leave the country..

Also if you have a temp residency that expired, immigration charges $500 pesos for every month that you wait to apply for your perm residency.

Furthermore, when you are in application from temporary to permanent residency, you must surrender the temporary card. So you now have no residency card at all.

POP airport was fierce with me about it.... I had a copy of my temporary and a government receipt saying they had rec'd it for the premanent residency application.
No good! They still charged me an overstay.

In typicla Dominican style, they couldn't find their way through my passport to locate the recent entry and tried to hit me up for a 1 1/2 year old entry stamp.
When I objected, they flipped my passport back to me.... Here, you find it then!

I paid the fine and left the country

WW

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
you pour souls... we, being considered very trustworthy citizens can enter this country with our belgian ID-card, which cannot be stamped...

when I went home the last time, immigration wanted to know how long I had stayed in the DR... I told them 29 days (after 6 months), and got out without a fine.... whahahahahaha

and got back in a week later... lol (just had to finish some business over there)...

but then again... I understand the DR not trusting Americans, British, Germans, etc... whahahahahaha... you can say what you want, but they know good people when they meet them.... lol

there goes my popularity....:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Money Talks !!!

I put a 1000 peso note in my passport before I hand it to the agent. Usually they just stamp my passport and hand it back. If they ask what the 1000 pesos is for, I tell them I want to pay my "fine" to them.
Santo Domingo".... "No Problemo" !!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Bob K
I think you need residency to get a cedula. Of course your residency could be expired and still have a valid cedula.Then I guess overstay fees would apply.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you get the cedula and residency on the first attempt together both valid for 1 year. then you pass the same procedure again to get bthe permanent papers, heer the residency is valid to be renewed after 2 years and also afterwards every 2 years, the cedula you get with the permanent residency is valid for more time, my last 2 ones been valid for 6 years each, the last one renewed in 2004, will epire to be renewed now september 2010. the cedula is just the local ID card to proof your idendity when asked about by authorities on the streets or to make any banking business etc, the cedula is not valid anything at immigrations, for that the residency is the valid and needed document. a cedula without a renewed to date residency is worth nothing at a airport/immigrations and would leave the holder still out in the cold as a illegal alien.
Mike

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Two comments here

1) People come on to these forums and bang on about corruption but seem very happy to bribe an official when it will save them some money, hmmm!

2) Given how many threads get started about this subject, would it be worth make it a sticky or puting it somewhere perminent on the site?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Two comments here

1) People come on to these forums and bang on about corruption but seem very happy to bribe an official when it will save them some money, hmmm!

2) Given how many threads get started about this subject, would it be worth make it a sticky or puting it somewhere perminent on the site?

total agreement,
specially to point #1.
they are all crying about those corrupt banana republics, but themselves not in the position to follow some rules, or maybe they don't even have the bucks to get a legal residency, like it is the case with so many.
and that's no complain from my side, but i know more who fit in that corner than others.
with nothing in hands most of the educated 1st world countries would not give a residency/green card.
to be honest, i do not know an other country where it is so simple and easy and cheap to get a permanent green card even with nothing in hand or the head to contribute to the new country.
we even still leave the illegals in peace on the streets, as long as they do not get caught with something else illegal.
but the winds of change are present, a light breeze, but a breeze
mike

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
total agreement,
specially to point #1.
they are all crying about those corrupt banana republics, but themselves not in the position to follow some rules, or maybe they don't even have the bucks to get a legal residency, like it is the case with so many.
and that's no complain from my side, but i know more who fit in that corner than others.
with nothing in hands most of the educated 1st world countries would not give a residency/green card.
to be honest, i do not know an other country where it is so simple and easy and cheap to get a permanent green card even with nothing in hand or the head to contribute to the new country.
we even still leave the illegals in peace on the streets, as long as they do not get caught with something else illegal.
but the winds of change are present, a light breeze, but a breeze
mike

I agree and disagree...after 10 years here, I tend to disconnect my brain and go with the flow. In the beginning I got upset, I tried to change DR and dominicans, but now I usually take a cold one and smile.

Reactions: bienamor

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I agree and disagree...after 10 years here, I tend to disconnect my brain and go with the flow. In the beginning I got upset, I tried to change DR and dominicans, but now I usually take a cold one and smile.

sounds like from my own bloodline, ha ha.
correct, thins are like they are, in eachh country, and we foreigners have no right to cry for changes or such.
during the first years down here i had no cedula or residency, it was just the common way to not need that, with the foreign passport you could do any kind of business, immigrations at the airport PUJ never asked for visa overstaying fees or similar, back in that time i passed through that airport quiet often, so many staff members knew me, said hello, til one day long back one lady from immigrations took me aside and explained me that in the near future the documents will be required. that was around 13 years ago. she even offered phonenumbers and direction to get the paperwork done. and she let me leave for my flight and also no hassle to come back in a week later. i contacted some people to get knowledge about the requirements etc and did my first residency with a Lawyer Lady in santo domingo who is til today my lawyer for all kind of things, private and business wise.
time change steadily and everywhere, we alsways should go with the flow and by the way rules are handled in our host country.
in case of residencies that means clearly we have to do that paperwork since a while and there will come the soon day whenthe visitors without a clear visa/residency status will get in trouble for those viaolations.
the DR is handling such very smooth compared to other countries, they start the rules, they handle it flexible, they advise far ahead of time what has to be done and hey,, as long as not getting caught doing something illegal they are still really not forcingly after visa overstayer.
that's nice and friendly and easy,
something i don't wanna see to change, b/c i like it.
cheers from sunny skies at the Majestic Elegance,
the first real sunny day since a week on the east,
ready for mothers day here at the hotel tomorrow.
Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"When In "ROME"...................

After 24 years here,I can "OUT DOMINICAN".. .a Dominican!!!!
I can lie,cheat,steal,take advantage of.litter. and not take any personal responsibility for my actions just like a Dominican!
You can't live here if you don't play by "Dominican Rules"! You know what I mean!
They can block the street,isle, walkway. line at the bank,but YOU Can't ????
"BULL$HIT!!!"
I have met about 10 intelligent Dominicans since I moved here,(I said "Intelligent" which doesnot necessarily mean EDUCATED!) The rest can "Go To Hell!"
Not "POLITICALLY CORRECT enough for you???

But it's TRUE,..and you know it!!!!!
Cris Coloncccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so what??
it is exactly what i said,
you have to go with the local flow,
who doesn't like it should just not come in the 1st place and stick to countries where he/she feels treated better.
and the description of lying, cheating, taking advantage of, absolutely true, for the whole planet including DR.
i travelled for years the northamerican continent as a visitor and the same applied there, too.
visit Disneywolrd as a tourist and you get cheated, lied to, taken advantage of etc the same way.
it is called human behavior.
intelligent/educated people to find?
aside of Canada i did til today not find that country on this side of the atlantic with those intelligent and educated people as the norm.
big univercity names do not make the average citizen of such countries intelligent or educated.
Mike