Super 8 films and old magnetic audio tape.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Anyone know of any person or firm who can transfer the above plus colour 35mm slides (diaposativos?) to CD and/or DVD? They are all mostly from the 1950s and 60 s.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Anyone know of any person or firm who can transfer the above plus colour 35mm slides (diaposativos?) to CD and/or DVD? They are all mostly from the 1950s and 60 s.

Super8 and 16mm films are usually glue-edited. They can fall apart into little strips upon visioning or scanning after so many years. I would thus only entrust them to a professional company offering scanning and restoration services in the US.

I seem to remember a sign somewhere in Santo Domingo or Santiago advertising transferring VHS to DVD... but that was not your question.

I've had PHOTO negatives (standard 36mm) scanned onto disc locally here in Puerto Plata. We had over 2000 pictures and cut strips of 3 to 7 frames and a few uncut rolls. It would had cost us BIG $'s to do that abroad... here we paid less than US$ 200.oo. Some scans are not 100% well placed, but the focus was OK and the resolution beyond what we needed (too large actually, I need to edit them down.). They later on moved the equipment to Punta Cana or Bavaro, but I would like to think that someone with the necessary equipment ought to be found in Santo Domingo or Santiago.

I had a cassette tape with "historic" (unique) sound clips I wanted to have transferred into mp3... I posted here, but finally a steel guitar buddy of mine out of Florida did it on his home equipment.

... J-D.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks j.d.sauser, if you or anyone else for that matter has any contact telephone or email numbers 'twould be much appreciated.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks j.d.sauser, if you or anyone else for that matter has any contact telephone or email numbers 'twould be much appreciated.

As I said, the photo processing company which did my negative scans here in Puerto Plata moved to the East. I don't have their contact anymore. They had an office downtown and in Playa Dorada.

For video and film, you may want to approach local filming and film editing companies as well as news agencies (they are plentiful in most city).

Tape... buy a small deck-to-USB kit or send it out to a somebody who has one in the US or where ever home was to you.

Sorry, I wished I could be of more (precise) help.
... J-D.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Jimenez

Check the Teddy Jimenez foto shop and photography on Juan Bosch (formerly Kennedy)in PP, one corner from Villanueva by Abraxas book store. They do some work like that I think.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Yes, if T. Jimenez wouldn't have the scanner for negatives, they would know who has.

My family still has a good bundle of full length movies our grand father made in 40's, 50's and 60's, traveling North Africa with his... 1948 Nash Ambassador! Yep, he'd take that rig down to Southern France, had it hived onto a boat and would do his "Safari" in it, get back the same way and have the body fixed up again! Different times, different customs. But even back then, I doubt that was "normal".

Anyways, the OP's thread, re-awoke my desire to look into the issue of having these films scanned.

If I find something significant... I'll let you know.

... J-D.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Studio A in Santiago on Juan Pablo Duarte, just past De la Salle School...Corner of On?simo Jimenez..

HB