?guilas' Jos? Lima dead of heart attack

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was just told that Jos? Lima, the wonderful pitcher for the ?guilas Cibae?as for years and years, died today (like just a few moments ago) of a heart attack.

Peace to his family, he was a good guy, a dear friend of my son and daughter.

HB
Note:
This happened in Los Angeles. Apparently he felt bad and went to a hospital where the attack got him This happened last night. Shame, he had opene d an academy for kids playing baseball over there.
My daughter put in Facebook that he should be sure to take his golf clubs since my son and her brother was waiting for him...they were playing buddies a few years ago...

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
:eek:

37?

Holy smokes!!!!!! That is just aweful!

I think he sponsors the baseball field in Las Galeras out of giving back.

Grace to all that mourn...

Cien Fuego

May 14, 2010
m5OtjY594511-02.jpg

Thanks for the memories!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
wow thats terrible. i sat next to him on the plane a few years ago, he was a nice guy. why on earth would he die at 37?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wish I knew. He was really a nice guy. Even more important to me, personally, was that he was a friend of my son's and a playing partner.
This is tragic. John Valentine, the baseball manager just said on ESPN, that Lima was sending him YouTube videos of him pitching, and trying to get a job in Japan. He would have been a crowd pleaser in Japan, that is for sure...
God rest Jos?...

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I sat beside him on a flight Santiago to Miami. He talked non-stop, making an otherwise routine flight enjoyable. Very young age to leave the world, though if it's any consolation I have a feeling he made the most of the time he had.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That was supposed to be Bobby Valentine. Senior moment...sorry. ESPNDeportes had a big report on him before the Mets Yankees game. Tony Pe?a got really choked up talking about the guy...

I am bettingthe
?guilas retire his number.

HB

LA71009

May 13, 2009
Update

Apparently it happened today and he was at his home.....

Police: Lima found in cardiac arrest at Calif home.

AP News

LOS ANGELES ? Authorities say paramedics found former major league pitcher Jose Lima in full cardiac arrest at his home in Pasadena early Sunday, and he was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A statement from the Pasadena Police Department says a specific cause of death is unknown, and Los Angeles County coroner's officials will perform an autopsy.

Police detectives also responded to the scene because of the undetermined cause of death and will work with the coroner's office, the statement said.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
R.I.P. Lima many times we sat with him in latin clubs in Orlando during spring training just dancing his butt off great salsa dancer, great person...great ballplayer hate to see him go so quickly.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I also knew Mr. lima from time to time and in different places. Not only he was a cool guy but he was one heck of a singer. he often played as guest singer in many concerts of famous artists. Now that I have done saying he was a good guy but that doesn't discount the fact, he was also a party animal. He went out almost every night to discos and attended private wild parties. he would take along the new players all over the town and show them a good time. Some of these aguila guys are hard knock party animals. I just don't know how they got the energy to play a game the next day. may peace be upon his soul. I am shocked to hear he is dead. Seems like he died quite young. I hope it was a natural death from some congenital anomaly and not from what some people might suspect.
I apologize if i have offended some folks with my detail in his personal behavior. I am equally sad to hear the news.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Somehow I thought the guy was older as I remember him just a few years ago in the bigs. At any rate 40 something or 30 something seems just too young to me. I hope his wife and kids will be taken care of. RIP.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He once sang the National Anthem at one of the Major League
ball parks. Houston?? Do not remember.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I heard on radio news he had a minor attack (if there is such a thing) in December, and did not seek medical help.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I heard on radio news he had a minor attack (if there is such a thing) in December, and did not seek medical help.

That sounds like lima. he was a tough guy who rode around in santiago in his hummer. He was aggressive in nature but very cool when you speak to him. I took this picture of him in stadium. He was more than happy to pose for a few shots.

4lq2dt.jpg