What's the price for farming land ?

elglobie

May 16, 2010
Can you as foreigner own your own land to grow fruits and vegetables ?

If so, what's the typical price /hectare and what region ?

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
My wife's extended family has a farm east of Mao with plantin, banana, beans etc. These days it is more a free supermarket for refugees. Not sure how widespread the problem is but I imagine lots of farmers are struggling with the issue. Other family has a farm near Constanza with less problems at the moment. So location, location, location if you want to keep anything and I am sure priced accordingly.

Sadly, this will explode one of these days.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Jes, jes and jes. :)

I, like many, have the dream of buying good land to farm.

The going rate for good land in the Cibao region is around 40k+ per tarea by all accounts.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Jes, jes and jes. :)

I, like many, have the dream of buying good land to farm.

The going rate for good land in the Cibao region is around 40k+ per tarea by all accounts.

That's pesos. Correct?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes. Mao and the surrounding country is heavily populated with Haitian farm workers. In the rice fields it would be a safe bet to say that 95% of the workers are Haitian, and onthe banana and plantain farms the number is certainly more than 50% and perhaps closer to 80%.
Even in tobacco growing areas, once a Dominican-only preserve- there are now Haitians involved in many if not all phases of the crop.

HB

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
I have no idea what the numbers are but for every employed farm worker there are certainly one or two times number of unemployed, plus families.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In the Dominican Republic, the tarea equals about 628 square meters or 751 square yards; this is 0.0628 hectare or 0.155 acre. (Google is my friend!)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
It looks like that difference of 1 meter between the 629 square meters that Tambo and I found and the 628 square meters Whirleybird found is the "about" they were referring to in the definition I saw using google.

Is this a measurement used "only in the DR"?

The link which I followed on Google did specifically state 'In the Dominican Republic, the tarea equals........' !!!! ;)