I have searched and searched in the forums....

swtdrgrl

May 19, 2010
I have searched and searched in the forums....I came across a thread that was closed back in 2007 for the best places to live in Santiago. I know that there has been a lot of construction since then and was wondering if there are any newer places? I came across a few locations and I value your opinion so anyone please chime in...
I have three children and myself. We are looking for a safe neighborhood within walking distance to shops and entertainment, if possible, we are looking for a quiet area. I hope to have the children go to Hostos or Santiago Christian School, but I will figure out that later. I have spent hours on this board and have found a lot of information. I have been to DR several times and have family that lives all over. To me this is the best area. I don't need a job since I work from home and my budget is about $450/mo but flexible if need be, so I think I will be ok. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Urb. Paraiso I
El Embrujo III
LLanos de Gurabo
Las Cayenas

P.s. If anyone knows where I can find a map that shows me the residential areas that would be great. I have tried Google maps but get very little information.

TIA :bunny:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Gurabo is great, Embrujo is also great. Dont know Paraiso. Yea, if you are in DR you can go to a book store and buy a map of Santiago. Its about 250pesos and has the whole city on it that existed at the time of printing. I have one, gimme me a minute and I ll tell you the printer so maybe you could get on on Amazon or something.

Also, I dont know where in the US you live, but if you are in NY, you can also look at Dominican realtors in NYC. They usually have connections with developers in Santiago. Usually in DR they ll list their local numbers and their US numbers(mostly NY, but sometimes NJ or Boston #s). In any event you ll need a lawyer to write the contract for you. Getting a good one can be a challenge. I know a couple but so may you, so I wont oblige. $450 is more than enough for a 4br place with servants quarters.

I think you should decide if you want house or high rise apartment style housing. Houses are cool so the kids have play space. But I like high rise personally because of the natural safeguards to entry when I am not in the country.
Google maps is good but only for an overview of the city. You gotta keep in mind that many street names are repetitive, redundant or overlapping so they are only relevant to the neighborhood you are in or going to.

Reactions: Lucille

courtneypowers

Sep 18, 2003
Villa Olga

Villa Olga is a very safe place to live - close walking distance to good supermarkets, pharmacies, Plaza Internacional, Bella Terra Mall and a very nice park. Some rentals are over-priced, but there are also a lot of good finds.

swtdrgrl

May 19, 2010
Thank you both. I will check out and see if there are any DR RE agents here in Orlando. I should be able to find someone. I appreciate the info... It is helping with my search. I am going to stay with family for a couple of weeks while I try to find a place I'm preparing myself in advance so I have an idea.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Los Alamos, or Los Embrujos 1/2 & 3, not walking distance from Santiago Christian School but 5 minutes away by car.
I used to live in Embrujo 3 safe and clean. If your budget is good I'll recommend to check "Monte verde" nice homes around there, Villa Maria is close by too but I've heard many stories of people been assault in the entries as the road used to be in very bad shape and they are too lonely.

JJ

Reactions: Lucille

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Villa Olga is a very safe place to live - close walking distance to good supermarkets, pharmacies, Plaza Internacional, Bella Terra Mall and a very nice park. Some rentals are over-priced, but there are also a lot of good finds.

I second this...
I am living (temporary) in Villa Olga and it is a city itself. (park, Supermarkets, beauty salon, restaurants, cleaners, bars and I found the prices cheaper)
$120.00 DP for a good lunch at Tia Pailita's Restaurant.
On Wednesday, La Marketa's SM has good special on the vegetables and I find all prices there lower than other major supermarkets.
$140.OO DP for blow dry hair.
Great neighbours, quite, clean and safe.

Reactions: Tamborista

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thank you both. I will check out and see if there are any DR RE agents here in Orlando.

A word of caution: I wouldn't recommend working with any realtor in the States because all he is going to do is find someone locally here and then charge a very large convenience fee. Also, if you need a bilingual or for that matter want a realtor that caters to foreigners expect to pay high fees in addition to high rent as well.

You best bet is to go with a local person who certainly doesn't drive around in a new jipeta with imported clothes and all the requisite "bling".

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
A word of caution: I wouldn't recommend working with any realtor in the States because all he is going to do is find someone locally here and then charge a very large convenience fee. Also, if you need a bilingual or for that matter want a realtor that caters to foreigners expect to pay high fees in addition to high rent as well.

You best bet is to go with a local person who certainly doesn't drive around in a new jipeta with imported clothes and all the requisite "bling".

I disagree because in the US if you sign a contract there you are protected by contract law in the state you live in. Plus people tend to be MORE professional with respect to this type of business and the fees more laid out up front because it is all word of mouth and reputation. You can spend 2 months dealing with some schmuck lawyer to find you something, hey in my case to even answer your phone calls. But when you do get a guy you have to negotiate everything and still hope the guy knows what he is doing.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I disagree because in the US if you sign a contract there you are protected by contract law in the state you live in. Plus people tend to be MORE professional with respect to this type of business and the fees more laid out up front because it is all word of mouth and reputation. You can spend 2 months dealing with some schmuck lawyer to find you something, hey in my case to even answer your phone calls. But when you do get a guy you have to negotiate everything and still hope the guy knows what he is doing.

If you want to spend your big bucks and furthermore want to think that any contract drafted in the States has any legal authority here that's up to you.

However, I won't recommend that to other people.

As far as finding a property here in Santiago, the smart way is to do it with a realtor. Then again if you have tons of money to spend maybe it doesn't matter.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I disagree because in the US if you sign a contract there you are protected by contract law in the state you live in..

Plus people tend to be MORE professional with respect to this type of business and the fees more laid out up front because it is all word of mouth and reputation.

Now if you want to spend 2 months chasing people down(which is odd when everyone has a cellphone) in order to play tit for tat with a lawyer who, on your behalf and in your interest, couldnt negotiate if it was his last name. In addition to adding himself to the list of grimy paws who want to see what they can get you for intentionally causing delays...go ahead.
Everyone and their mother is a realtor, doesnt mean they know what they are doing.

swtdrgrl

May 19, 2010
I appreciate all of the input. I have found that there are RE agents on both ends that seem to want to get you $$ it's nuts. So I am going to go in Sept. stay with family, look around and see what I find. Hopefully my family won't try to screw me as well, you never know with Dominicans, for some reason they think I'm living like a Queen in Florida!! Anyway, I thank you for all of your info. I have just found out as well that apartments there that are not furnished may not include a stove and fridge. That is worrisome for me. That means I have to buy one, so I don't know. I've been in communication with family so we will see.

Chip, I am going to call, tomorrow in fact. Thank you for the info, hopefully he will fill me in and give me all of the details that some have left out. So far so good, again thanks for the info everyone.

Jessica

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I disagree because in the US if you sign a contract there you are protected by contract law in the state you live in..

Plus people tend to be MORE professional with respect to this type of business and the fees more laid out up front because it is all word of mouth and reputation.

Now if you want to spend 2 months chasing people down(which is odd when everyone has a cellphone) in order to play tit for tat with a lawyer who, on your behalf and in your interest, couldnt negotiate if it was his last name. In addition to adding himself to the list of grimy paws who want to see what they can get you for intentionally causing delays...go ahead.
Everyone and their mother is a realtor, doesnt mean they know what they are doing.

Why do you assume the realtor I've referenced is like you summarized above?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I appreciate all of the input. I have found that there are RE agents on both ends that seem to want to get you $$ it's nuts. So I am going to go in Sept. stay with family, look around and see what I find. Hopefully my family won't try to screw me as well, you never know with Dominicans, for some reason they think I'm living like a Queen in Florida!! Anyway, I thank you for all of your info. I have just found out as well that apartments there that are not furnished may not include a stove and fridge. That is worrisome for me. That means I have to buy one, so I don't know. I've been in communication with family so we will see.

Chip, I am going to call, tomorrow in fact. Thank you for the info, hopefully he will fill me in and give me all of the details that some have left out. So far so good, again thanks for the info everyone.

Jessica

I also understand the apartments right next to my house are renting for RD12k and less:

Property Detail - InDominicana.com - Dominican Republic Real Estate

They aren't necessarily centrally located then again it would be difficult to find and apartement as you mentioned for the desired price within walking distance of the schools you like, etc. Not to worry school transportation runs around RD1500 - 2000 per month and most nice apartments any will have publi transportation nearby and local grocery stores that have delivery for RD10-20.

swtdrgrl

May 19, 2010
Thank you so much. Well I will be in town on the 8th of June hopefully I can look around, make sure everything is in order before my move in September. Thank you all for your info!!

Jessica

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I dont understand why someone would want to use a realtor in the States. You get here and you have no idea what your in for. And as far as contracts, if you are unhappy with the service are you going to get back on a plane and try to sue the guy?
Also you would have no recourse what so ever in this country as the contract is in the States, not to mention NO contract is legal in this country if it ain't in Spanish.

swtdrgrl

May 19, 2010
I thought instead of starting a new thread I would ask one more question.. Your thoughts... So I am moving to Santiago. I am looking for someone to help me around the house.

It will be a 3/2 apartment about 140m.
I need someone M - F 12p - 530p and Sat 8a - 12p.

Main responsibilities:
Keeping the home clean (bathrooms, kitchens, sweeping, mopping, dusting....)
Making lunch and dinner for 4ppl M - F (her dinner included)
Laundry.

Benefits:
2 weeks of vacation
Off on Sundays
1 month bonus pay (December)
Bi-weekly pay of $2,500RD

Does this sound ok? I have looked in the forums and found a wide variety of information so I want to be sure that I am paying about what is called for.

Thank you for all of your help.

Jessica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might want to call me.
Send me a PM so you can do this.

I hope you do.

HB

swtdrgrl

May 19, 2010
Hi HB I would like to talk to you. I will be back in Santiago on Wed - Sat of next week then completely there in October. When I arrive I will be a lot with family but will take some time to go over details if it's ok. Thanks again. Sent you a PM

Jessica

Last edited: