Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The streets of Sosua

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The streets of Sosua

In 1940, when Jews were "allowed" to come to the Dominican Republic, Sosua was created as a refugee settlement. As I read the postings about Haitians ruining this quaint tourist town, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. As far as I know, DORSA, the NY corporation set up to build Sosua, still owns the streets of the town where Haitian children now sleep.
    I'm imagining how Dominican history would be different if large numbers of German, British, American, Palestinian and Lebanese residents of the DR had complained about allowing those Jews into the country. I'm imagining my family getting off the boat and having to sleep on the street. Instead, the Americans and Dominicans established a well run settlement where people could build new homes, schools and fincas.
    As for the ship them back to Haiti argument--again, imagine shipping the Jewish refugees back to Germany or Shanghai. Then there is the problem of how to distinguish between new arrivals and children who were dumped on the street by their Dominican/Haitian parents or "sugar daddies and mommies". Finally, we can see the long term problems created by generations raised in refugee camps in Palestine. You don't want a Gaza strip between Haiti and the DR.
    The DR was once a haven for displaced people. When did we stop and welcome anyone with money regardless of need?

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela View Post
    In 1940, when Jews were "allowed" to come to the Dominican Republic, Sosua was created as a refugee settlement. As I read the postings about Haitians ruining this quaint tourist town, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. As far as I know, DORSA, the NY corporation set up to build Sosua, still owns the streets of the town where Haitian children now sleep.
    I'm imagining how Dominican history would be different if large numbers of German, British, American, Palestinian and Lebanese residents of the DR had complained about allowing those Jews into the country. I'm imagining my family getting off the boat and having to sleep on the street. Instead, the Americans and Dominicans established a well run settlement where people could build new homes, schools and fincas.
    As for the ship them back to Haiti argument--again, imagine shipping the Jewish refugees back to Germany or Shanghai. Then there is the problem of how to distinguish between new arrivals and children who were dumped on the street by their Dominican/Haitian parents or "sugar daddies and mommies". Finally, we can see the long term problems created by generations raised in refugee camps in Palestine. You don't want a Gaza strip between Haiti and the DR.
    The DR was once a haven for displaced people. When did we stop and welcome anyone with money regardless of need?
    Hard to compare the two groups. The Jews were forced to leave their home countries due to circumstances that were not directly their fault. Haitians laid their own bed.

Just a handful of Jews reached the shore of Sosua, at a time when DR was underpopulated. Haitians -on the other side- are overrunning Dominicans with millions of economic refugees when we are already an overpopulated nation.

The Jews were also well positioned to contribute in positive ways to our society. I don't see one single benefit Dominicans obtain from the Haitian migration.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vacara View Post
    I don't see one single benefit Dominicans obtain from the Haitian migration.
    It's so obvious, now the Dominicans have someone to blame for their failures.
    Before the influx of Haitians, they couldn't very well blame themselves, now could they.

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    It's so obvious, now the Dominicans have someone to blame for their failures.
    Before the influx of Haitians, they couldn't very well blame themselves, now could they.
    What failure?.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What failure?.
    Failures, not failure......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Haitians caused the earthquake?

Vacara means vacant, so I won't even bother arguing with you. I hope some posters will understand the irony in Sosua's dislike of refugees.

I love AZB!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    Failures, not failure......
    Joe, get a grip. Show me the posts where any Dominican poster in this forum blame our miseries on the Haitians.

I've heard that tune before, it's nothing but another bogus accusation against DR.

There's a song by Juan Luis Guerra named; El Costo de la Vida, where he makes a litany of all the failures we have become today. The climax of that song is in the 1.08 min/mark, where he claim that after 500 years we are still a hole between the sea & the sky. The feeling expressed in this song is symptomatic of how Dominicans feel, go ahead and listen to it and tell me where does he blame Haitians for our problems.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_zLpacr1DlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_zLpacr1DlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, get a grip. Show me the posts where any Dominican poster in this forum blame our miseries on the Haitians.

I've heard that tune before, it's nothing but another bogus accusation against DR.

There's a song by Juan Luis Guerra named; El Costo de la Vida, where he makes a litany of all the failures we have become today. The climax of that song is in the 1.08 min/mark, where he claim that after 500 years we are still a hole between the sea & the sky. The feeling expressed in this song is symptomatic of how Dominicans feel, go ahead and listen to it and tell me where does he blame Haitians for our problems.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_zLpacr1DlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_zLpacr1DlU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>
    Sorry, I only listen to Anthony Santos, number 1.....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

you can forget any form of tourism and all the jobs that go with it if you want to turn sosua into a refugee camp .Its a choice because the two ideas are not compatable

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Haitians are the new Jews?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast