4 Batteries charging at a whopping 42 volts

Oct 23, 2008
Is it possible for 4 batteries to be charged at the rate of 42 volts DC by a 1.5 KW Trace inverter?

I have a Trace CR II 1524 inverter (1.5 KW, 24V DC), and I reset it to charge the batteries at 250 mAh, but the voltage still isn't going down. When the street power is turned off, the voltage starts dropping from 42 V DC and it keeps dropping with time. I haven't waited so far to see how low the with-held charges of the batteries would drop, but, the voltages in each individual battery also drops as the street power is turned off.

The 4 individual Batteries are the Trace T115 batteries with a capacity of 225 mAh, and are connected in series.

Once the charge of 42 V is achieved, the inverter throws a pulse of charge at 42 volts to maintain the voltage. I tried decreasing the charging of the batteries to 50 mAh, but that made no difference. My batteries are running fine, they dont lose their charge or go dead, they are also not over-heating, nor throwing out any toxic fumes. They are 1 1/2 years old now, and are still running great. But, should I be concerned about the voltage?

Do I need to contact Trace? My product is still supposedly covered under warranty. Or should I just leave it as it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Check your Voltmeter.

That is definitely too high a voltage.
Since you say they have been running great for 1 1/2 years, it does sound like you have a voltmeter problem.

That voltage would most likely destroy your batteries if in fact it is true.

Each battery is only 6 volts, for a total of 24 volts.

My Trace 3.6kw, 24 volt Inverter charges at a max of just under 30 volts (29 something I think). Sitting idle right now, fully charged, the voltage is about 28 volts.

CR II 1524 - Indicates 1.5kw at 24v.

That's my opinion.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Oct 23, 2008
The Trace inverter's charge capacity starts at 50 Amps or below, and goes to over >500 Amps. What should I do then?

Thanks for the advice on the voltmeter. The batteries are not over charging and look normal. I will have my voltmeter checked out.

Trace, the company in the capital sells those batteries.They probably make it themselves, or have a sub-contractor and give claims they are as good as Trojans. I've had mine since Nov, 2008, and so far, so good. Hope nothing happens to them.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Trace Voltages

Sitting idle right now, fully charged, the voltage is about 28 volts.

Hmm, that's very high.

Fully charged batteries (4 in series) would deliver 25.4 V and drop from that peak very soon.
Normal charging should not exceed 29 V and then maintain at float voltage of about 26 - 27 V.
Equalizing is done at up to 31 V.

Anyway, that's how I treat them... :bunny:

donP